Old 10-01-2004, 10:27 AM   #1
bperkins
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default 7100/BES Questions

Please Login to Remove!

New to Blackberry's I have a few questions,
  • Is it ok to leave it on all the time? Or should I shut it off at night like I do with my cell phone?
  • What font is used on the 72XX models, my buddy has a 7280 and I cannot remember what font he uses, but it seems easier to read than the one I have on the 7100.
  • BWC: The username I setup for my 7100(ie [email address] it possible to change or replace the one I set up? Reason is I do not like the name I choose. I mistakenly hit the confirm button when choosing a name.
  • BES: I use a Mac so I am using the BWC for my email. However, our office is all PC (except for me), and we run a Windows 2000 Sever. Is it possible to set up our server with a BES client to that I can use the instant push email?

If so what would I need to do to set this up? I assume I would have to install the BES software, and would I set up my emails within outlook on the server in order to receive email instantly?

Is there a way to turn this off when I use my Mac? I want to be able to receive them when I have my PowerBook open. Or will they go to both my Mac and my Blackberry.

Thanks,
Old 10-01-2004, 03:32 PM   #2
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

Mine hasn't been turned off in about 2 months (aside from upgrades and crashes), you can leave it on as long as it works though.

I use 6 or 8pt bbmillbank on mine. Hard to read for most, but I don't have a problem with it.

I don't use BWC, so can't help ya on the last two :(
Old 10-01-2004, 04:22 PM   #3
mikejb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

My first post, finally.

I also never turn mine off (6750) but I also do have it set up so that after certain hours of the night, it like I will be a sleep. I do this only to conserve the battery power. Mine only gets charged while I am in the office and this feature I have found has allowed me a greater battery life. I think you would be able to find this feature in options, Auto on/off.

For the second question, do you want to change the display name or the name attached to the email address?
Old 10-01-2004, 04:35 PM   #4
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

My favourite font is BB MilliBank Tall 10-point.
Bold and very easy to read even without a backlight on my 7280 :D
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 10-01-2004, 07:29 PM   #5
bperkins
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Thanks for the replies.

or the second question, do you want to change the display name or the name attached to the email address?

No I want to change the name that it is attached to the email.[/quote]
Old 10-01-2004, 08:00 PM   #6
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

Just setup a new account then. Pretend you never did it before.

It will reprovision, or did when I played with a 6710 a year ago.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:02 PM   #7
mikejb

Model: 8800

Okay, I hope I am giving you the right answer as a Newbie.

You can change both the display name and the reply too email adresss in the Blackberry Web Client account.

Reply-to address:

[email address]

By default whenever someone replies to a message sent from your account, the reply will be sent to this address

and

Friendly Name

Your friendly name will appear in the From line of outgoing email.

If you do not like you email address name at all, you may have to create a new BWC account and ask your service provider to nuke the other one. They will then also have to send you a new service book and all that good fun stuff. I hope I have helped.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:04 PM   #8
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
* BES: I use a Mac so I am using the BWC for my email. However, our office is all PC (except for me), and we run a Windows 2000 Sever. Is it possible to set up our server with a BES client to that I can use the instant push email?

If so what would I need to do to set this up? I assume I would have to install the BES software, and would I set up my emails within outlook on the server in order to receive email instantly?

Is there a way to turn this off when I use my Mac? I want to be able to receive them when I have my PowerBook open. Or will they go to both my Mac and my Blackberry.
Brad,

Welcome, Mac user! Finally thanks to people like PocketMac these Bberry's are useful tools for The Rest of Us.

What I would do is have the email admin just create a server-side rule that sends all email to your tmo.blackberry.net address in addition to your Exchange inbox.

No BES required that way, and you'll get the email within seconds of delivery.

Let me know if I haven't made that clear, if memory serves you have an administrative assistant that does your calendar and such, you could have him or her just create the rule for you if they are also a delegate for email, that way you don't have to get your hands dirty with Outlook.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:19 PM   #9
otto

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempai
What I would do is have the email admin just create a server-side rule that sends all email to your tmo.blackberry.net address in addition to your Exchange inbox.
in a corporate exchange environment that usually has some sort of security structure, this is usually not a viable option...
Old 10-02-2004, 12:00 AM   #10
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempai
in a corporate exchange environment that usually has some sort of security structure, this is usually not a viable option...
You'd think so. They already said they were going to have it forwarded over anyway. Does it matter? Anything important gets encrypted to my certificate.

Would you agree that having BWC get your email is as insecure as having it forwarded?

I would.