Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (9900: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I will be testing it out and will report back. Please post comments here.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

First thing I note is the the .cod is 1.3mb. Large file so OTA might take a bit. When I tried the DM install it said no software for my device recognized so I am not sure the .alx is correct.

Here is what it looked like:

<loader version="1.0">
<application id="wayfinder_navigator_blackberry_8800_wf_navigat or_na_us" _blackberryVersion="[4.2.1,5.0.0)">
<name>Wayfinder 7</name>
<description>A navigation system for your mobile phone</description>
<version>7.0.9</version>
<vendor>Wayfinder Systems AB</vendor>
<copyright>Copyright (c) 2004-2007 Wayfinder Systems AB</copyright>
<fileset series="8800" java="1.00">
<files>wayfinder_navigator_blackberry_8800_wf_navi gator_na_us.cod</files>
</fileset>
</application>
</loader>
Old 06-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
Pentarus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Stinsonddog,

I've been running Wayfinder 7 on my 8800 for about a week now... Very nice. They did a great job at improving their POI search function!

Can't wait to read your review!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
tdefriez

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation Issues with find

I loaded it yesterday and whilst most of the program is looking good I'm having issues with the find functionality - it ask for where you looking for, I enter data in all the fields and save and then it asked me to fill in all the field (which I have done) - I've tried reloading same result. Running unlocked Cingular 8800, with lastest Roger's SW and on T-Mobile network.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Have any of you had conflicts with other GPS programs after using this? Does it prevent GPS access from Telenav or others?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
tdefriez

Smile Solved

I've solve the issue - activation code I was using was WN6 only - WN6/7 upgrade activation code works (warning here codes from Mobihand and Handago may only be WN6, whereas recent ones direct from Wayfinder are dual) and the interface is a bit klunky - I was entering data logical and the interface is not logical (to me at least)
Old 06-30-2007, 03:34 AM   #7
fight4yu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Cingular

I have downloaded that for about 3-4 days, and I have to say I am pretty disappointed with this. Here is what my opinion is:
1) The worst, is that it does not have a "route summary". THeir so call route summary only give you ETA and total miles, but there is simply no way to know the actual route.
2) The re-route is quite slow. I can go off for quite a while before I was redirected.
3) Not clear which highway I should "enter" (N or S, E or S). Just say "Exit here" (actually, they use exit for entering highway as well).
4) No easy way to enter address. No integration with address book, unlike Telenav.
5) 3D map zoom out is very little, to almost useless. You may be able to zoom out for like a street or two at most.
6) IT seems like they now change their lifetime definition to 1 device. So, you are stuck with your 8800 if you buy their software. and we all know how much we like to change our BB when a new one comes along. This mean $100 every time you change your device. This probably is the biggest factor as I definitely don't want to spend $100 on a device that I probably will replace once a year.
7) Does not support 8100. I have emailed support and they say it is unlikely they will support 8100.

Some nice thing include the night-mode, which looks pretty cool. POI seems pretty updated and have lots of it. The icons shown along the map that tells you POI is pretty neat.

So, I am not happy with this. Telenav is much better (even with the old version). THe only thing I wish Telenav have is a lifetime subscription... THey already have a 1-year plan that is $99, but I think I am willing to pay $200 for the lifetime subscription RIght now, I think I will go back to Telenav...
Old 06-30-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Thank for the update. I just DL last night. Will give it a run and keep this in mine. I agree with the pricing plan that it doesn't remain a real competitive choice.

ON Telenav - if you are self employed remember to deduct the cost and make it only $6 a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post
I have downloaded that for about 3-4 days, and I have to say I am pretty disappointed with this. Here is what my opinion is:
1) The worst, is that it does not have a "route summary". THeir so call route summary only give you ETA and total miles, but there is simply no way to know the actual route.
2) The re-route is quite slow. I can go off for quite a while before I was redirected.
3) Not clear which highway I should "enter" (N or S, E or S). Just say "Exit here" (actually, they use exit for entering highway as well).
4) No easy way to enter address. No integration with address book, unlike Telenav.
5) 3D map zoom out is very little, to almost useless. You may be able to zoom out for like a street or two at most.
6) IT seems like they now change their lifetime definition to 1 device. So, you are stuck with your 8800 if you buy their software. and we all know how much we like to change our BB when a new one comes along. This mean $100 every time you change your device. This probably is the biggest factor as I definitely don't want to spend $100 on a device that I probably will replace once a year.
7) Does not support 8100. I have emailed support and they say it is unlikely they will support 8100.

Some nice thing include the night-mode, which looks pretty cool. POI seems pretty updated and have lots of it. The icons shown along the map that tells you POI is pretty neat.

So, I am not happy with this. Telenav is much better (even with the old version). THe only thing I wish Telenav have is a lifetime subscription... THey already have a 1-year plan that is $99, but I think I am willing to pay $200 for the lifetime subscription RIght now, I think I will go back to Telenav...
Old 06-30-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Here is the link to the online manual where you can find out alot about it. Note that you can find an intinery view.

Wayfinder Navigator™ online manual
Old 06-30-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
Cyclops
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Why does it take so long to receive an activation code for the free trial?
Old 06-30-2007, 05:04 PM   #11
tdefriez

Default Its route selection and re-routing is not perfect

I've been comparing it to TomTom on HP iPaq rx5915 (switched a Windows PDA to Blackberry recently) and it is not as effective at route selection - on numerous route I uses all the time, independent of the preferred routing selection options, it always chooses the shortest route (and often slowest, even if time optimization selected, it seems to makes no allowance for freeway speed verses surface route speed) . It also refuses to switch to a more efficient route even when you are on one - it keeps telling you to go back on to the 'shortest' route. This gets annoying on the freeway as each time you drive under a road which offers a shorter route it tells you to turn, even if their is not an off ramp!! In comparison on the same routes the TomTom software soon re-routes to the optimum route based on your current road type. For instance the quickest route from my office to home is via a freeway and the shortest route is via surface streets. There are really only 2 clear routes to and from my offices. The differences is that the freeway route is 2-3 mile longer but takes 15 minutes, the surface route is 2-3 miles shorter but takes over 30 minutes due to surface street speed limits and traffic lights. TomTom will selected either route based on my preferences but if a I select one but use the other it soon re-routes via the route I am on (current position and preferred routing is considered real time). Conversely WN7 wants to take me back to the shortest route regardless of settings and keeps trying to re-route back to non-freeway route. This is why the issue with WM seems to come up, it wants to get back to the shortest route and misses the fact that junctions do not exist on every road the crosses a freeway (sometime there is a junction but it tells you to turn too late). TomTom never has such issues. Having come from TomTom I am not too impressed yet - thinking of trying TelNav which seems to offer more options but......
Old 08-31-2007, 09:22 PM   #12
Crash Test
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers

As an FYI, I have learned that Wayfinder does not plan to release v7 for the 87XX series of BBs. What a disappointment, since it means that it's a dead product for all those who bought it to use on the 8700 series BlackBerry.
Closed Thread