Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #81
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Please Login to Remove!

Very nice! Will this version also work for 4.2 devices?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:56 AM   #82
kyle16
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateu View Post
I lied...Woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't fall back asleep, so...
GREAT job! Glad you updated quickly based on user feedback.

Last edited by kyle16; 02-25-2009 at 08:57 AM..
Old 02-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #83
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
V0.84 Beta 2009-02-25 05:23:50 PST
* Pressing the Space bar now cycles through all three weather screens
--Current Conditions -> Forecast -> Hourly Forecast -> Current Conditions
* Added option to set default screen that runs when you first load the program
* When you open BBWeather, if there are no Weather Profiles it automatically opens the Add Location screen
* Changed 30 second delay before weather is downloaded when device first boots to 15 seconds

V0.84 Beta 2009-02-24 18:52:14 PST
* Changed "Relative Font Size" to "Base Font Size." Relative was determined by your system font size. "Base Font Size" is now the default font size for the Weather screens
* Added option for "Weather Font." This allows you to change the font used on the weather screens.
* Added a new Hourly Forecast screen option "Text + Icons 3" which splits the weather info on 3 lines.
--This might fit better on Pearl devices.
* Added dates to the Hourly Forecast screen
* Added option to set the homscreen icon description
* Changed font size of the options screen to the same as "Base Font Size"
Tateu, this is VERY NICE work. Thanks for all of your effort!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #84
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary

tateu,

Thanks for the update. Works well, looks good, and the home screen icon is a very nice addition.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #85
PDM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Very nice! Will this version also work for 4.2 devices?

See in 1st post :
Quote:
[...]
These alpha releases are currently compiled under JDE v4.3 so they will most likely not work on any device with an OS less than 4.3 (don't even bother asking for an earlier version, I will not do it). When I put out one of these builds as official, I will then try to compile an older version that will function on v4.2 devices.
[...]
@tateu: gr8 update!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #86
wpwren

Model: 8350i
PIN: needles
Carrier: Nextel

I got the 05:23:50 version and waiting for a reboot here...

Thank you for your efforts and making this available. Sadly I did say good bye to weather eye this morning too...

Thanks again
Old 02-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #87
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Just installed the latest alpha on my Curve - WOW WOW WOW!

I just love all the improvements!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #88
Pink2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Just updated, love the new features. Thanks so much for your updates, sorry you couldn't sleep though.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #89
Hanwei

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Hey Tateu, great update!

EDIT: Nevermind... I figured it out

Everything you're doing is appreciated!

Last edited by Hanwei; 02-25-2009 at 10:39 AM..
Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #90
tbhuang2

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Tateu, in 2 days and 2 releases you made all of the improvements I could ask for. You're the best!
-Threaded SMS
Old 02-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #91
philip8454

PIN: N/A
Carrier: att

What is the difference in "close" and "exit"? If I exit, does the program still update, or do I have to use close and let it run in the background? Also, can someone provide the link to the OTA download for yesterday's release? Thanks
Old 02-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #92
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip8454 View Post
What is the difference in "close" and "exit"? If I exit, does the program still update, or do I have to use close and let it run in the background? Also, can someone provide the link to the OTA download for yesterday's release? Thanks
That was my assumption on the difference between exit and close...

and the link is in Tateu's post at 6:35 this morning (in this thread).
Old 02-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #93
greggray

Model: Storm
Carrier: VZ

First off - thanks for a great application! WeatherBug may be on it's bloated way off of my Storm!

I'd like to suggest an additional option for the text under the icon on the home screen. I really don't need the time since it is already in the header but it seems like every option has time in it. I'd like to just see current temp or current temp/forcasted high/low.

-Greg
Old 02-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #94
tateu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rone View Post
The issue I do have is the source for weather info. The Weather Channel can not get the weather right here in SE Wisconsin.

I know this is not the fault of the app.
As you noted...there is very little I can do about this. I've also received several requests to have weather alerts and links to radar info. I can only rely on websites that provide free data in XML format based on URL requests using a locationID. Yahoo, Google and the NOAA's National Weather Service also provide this (sort of) but none of them have as much as data as the Weather Channel. I think Yahoo and Google only provide 3-7 day forecasts and neither provide hourly data. The NOAA works from latitude and longitude, not a LocationID (I am actually thinking of trying to incorporate this if I ever get around to adding a GPS location feature). Google works from a zipCode or City Name so is incompatible with BBWeather's current use of a LocationID.

Figuring out how to incorporate one or two of the above (especially the NOAA based on GPS loc) is on my list of things to do...way at the bottom, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip8454 View Post
What is the difference in "close" and "exit"?
"Close" leaves the app running in the background and updates the Current Conditions screen, Daily Forecast screen and homescreen icon at regular intervals. "Exit" closes the app but schedules it to run at regular intervals to update the homescreen icon, then exit, and reschedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggray View Post
I'd like to suggest an additional option for the text under the icon on the home screen. I really don't need the time since it is already in the header but it seems like every option has time in it. I'd like to just see current temp or current temp/forcasted high/low.
The time on the BBWeather icon is actually the timestamp for when it last updated, not the current time, but it's easy enough to add additional options. It's added to the to do list.

Last edited by tateu; 02-25-2009 at 02:26 PM..
Old 02-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #95
kusellout69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon

Is there any way to make the homescreen icon show the forecast instead of the current conditions? This is what I love about the Accuweather app, even though it rarely actually works
Old 02-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #96
philip8454

Carrier: att

Thanks for the reply, but my homescreen icon doesn't update. My settings are: Enable homescreen update; icon-temp; rollover-conditions; activate on startup; current and homescreen poll intervals 30 min.

my temp stays the same on the homescreen.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #97
greggray

EDIT - Never mind - just saw that there is an option to configure the exit behavior(was suggesting that but you are way ahead of me )

Quote:
The time on the BBWeather icon is actually the timestamp for when it last updated, not the current time, but it's easy enough to add additional options. It's added to the to do list.
Gotcha. I still don't want to see the timestamp under the icon. I do like seeing it in the detailed report I get when I open the application.

Also, I much prefer having the Weather.com data over the data from WeatherBug. Thanks again for your great work!

-Greg

Last edited by greggray; 02-25-2009 at 02:56 PM..
Old 02-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #98
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Personally I like the timestamp under the icon (or at the bottom of the main icon screen). My device like to occasionally not maintain a good network connection (even though it has 4 or 5 bars!!), so knowing when the last time the weather was quiered is nice.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #99
greggray

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Personally I like the timestamp under the icon (or at the bottom of the main icon screen). My device like to occasionally not maintain a good network connection (even though it has 4 or 5 bars!!), so knowing when the last time the weather was quiered is nice.
Makes sense. Having lots of options is a good thing. You can make everyone happy (of course you risk confusing the crap out of users but I prefer the flexibility ).

Another thing I noticed is that the time under the icon is current but the time on the "Current Conditions" page is still from this morning. Is that because this is the last time Weather.com updated the data? I refreshed it and it still says 10am.

I don't mean to nit-pick stuff. Just point it out for you to do what you will with it .

-Greg
Old 02-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #100
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggray View Post
Makes sense. Having lots of options is a good thing. You can make everyone happy (of course you risk confusing the crap out of users but I prefer the flexibility ).

Another thing I noticed is that the time under the icon is current but the time on the "Current Conditions" page is still from this morning. Is that because this is the last time Weather.com updated the data? I refreshed it and it still says 10am.

I don't mean to nit-pick stuff. Just point it out for you to do what you will with it .

-Greg
Tateu addressed this earlier in the thread... apparently there is an issue with the API, and the timestamp on the icon only gets updated when you go to the ICON screen - it is especially annoying if you are using a Zen-type of theme (bottom, original Zen or L theme) - as for the API to work correctly, you have to go to the ICON screen (the one with the screen full of icons, like the "home" screen of an ICON theme). Yeah, it's a PITA, but apparently it's a limitation of the API at this point, and Tateu was looking at a way to resolve it.
Closed Thread