Old 03-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
sudza

Model: NTSUR
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default To Blackberry Or Not To Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I am looking for some sage advice/information. I am in the process of dealing with Verizon regarding my i760. Trying to switch out of the phone. People have recommended the Blackberry. Either the Curve or the Storm. Is either or both worthy replacements and is Verizon's version a good option. I will be using it for business (not heavy use yet) and pleasure. I don't mind the touchscreen as I don't have a need to use a tactile keyboard. Reliability is the most important aspect of the phone I get whether it be a BB or some other phone. The quality and consistentcy of the voice connection and a good speaker phone are also important. I know there is no perfect phone, but I would like to find one that is stable and has good tech and software/update support.

Appreciate the help..........
Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

If u can't wait for what many hope for will come to VZW (the BB Niagra) then get the Curve. Its a very nice phone and for what u need. But, if ur brave...try the Storm...great phone too...

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
mendez777
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
PIN: 24E1DBA9
Carrier: TIM Italy

Wirelessly posted (8100™)

Yes Curve is the best choice for a newBBie....Storm is awesome device but is a few buggy right now...
Old 03-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
mpeppers

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon

my first BB was somewhat frustrating. i upgraded to the storm a couple months ago and was frustrating again. both times i wondered if i had made a mistake in my choice of phones. moral of the story is after a few weeks of using both i love them. dont get frustrated during the first couple weeks of your BB regardless of model
Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
Hanwei
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

If you're looking for a BB that's super reliable, performs well, and is very stable... go for the Curve.

If you're looking for something a little flashier, a little more fun, but are willing to deal with a few bugs here and there inherent in a brand new, yet unpolished model... the go with the Storm.

Both will do what a Blackberry does reliably and well. Email and Voice. It will just depend on whether you want to take on the new Storm... or a well polished "battle proven" Curve.

For the record... I came from the Curve to the Storm... and I love both. You'll be happy with either one you choose.

Edit to add: Even though the Curve is reliable, performs well, and is very stable... this is not to say that the Storm is unreliable, doesn't perform well, and is unstable. Not at all. The Storm, from my experience, has been very reliable, performs well but has slight lag in the OS at times (switching between applications and you need to know how to answer the phone *just* right ;)), and has been pretty stable as well. Not as stable as the Curve, but definitely stable.

Again, you'll be happy with either one you choose.

Last edited by Hanwei; 03-11-2009 at 07:55 AM..
Old 03-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
sudza

I'm not opposed to waiting for the Niagra, but as is fairly normal, especially for Verizon it'll probably take a few months to begin working out bugs so we could be looking at much later in the year and I don't think I can wait that long. Also, since I work in the computer industry I was told that using the Blackberry as a newbie shouldn't be as daunting a task as it might otherwise be. I like the look of the Storm and I as I mentioned a tactile keyboard is not a requirement, but as I haven't used either one it's a tough choice. I have also used the iPhone for a while and enjoyed it.

Thanks and keep the opinions coming.........
Old 03-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Hanwei
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

If you've been using the iPhone then you'll have no problem acclimating to the Storm. I say go for the Storm... you've got 30 days to try it out. If you don't like it... go for the Curve.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
dbower96
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: ?

I'm about one month into using a BB for the first time. I can tell you that I love it! Years ago I had a Treo, and the Storm is blowing my memories and experiences with the Palm away. Here's my 3 1/2 week assessment of the Storm:

Still working with .76 OS, but I am thinking that I have learned enough that I may make the jump to .103 this weekend. I wanted to be sure that I was versed enough in the way that the DM and the Storm work together before I started any modifications. Everything is so easy to use though, and synchronization is a breeze. I have only had one freeze that required a restart on the device, and compared to my old Treo, that is great. I was a Voyager user before the Storm, and the multi-tasking that I have gained by going to the Storm is awesome. Call clarity on the Storm is as good as it was on the Voyager, and I can say that I am just about as fast at typing on the Storm now as I was on my Voyager. I was never this fast on my Treo because of the size of the Palm keyboard. Battery life is maybe the only drawback. I get a full day's use (14-16 hrs) out of the standard battery, but that is by taking advantage of the 35 minute commute to and from work. I charge the phone at night for about 5-6 hrs and it is fully charged when I leave in the morning. By the evening, when leaving work, the charge is at about 40%, so I plug it in on the way home.
Lastly, this forum and a couple of others have really brought me up to speed in the world of BlackBerry. Knowing how to use the search function on this forum usually gets me the answer that I am looking for in a few minutes.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
sudza

If Verizon let's me out of the i760 I will probably give the Storm a try, but with Verizon I'm not all that hopeful. I'm sure this site will provide with me with plenty of support, probably more than Verizon ever could!

Thanks for all the input.........
Closed Thread