Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
Andyn
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT&T / Verizon
Exclamation Curve comes with No Holster or Case

Please Login to Remove!

A co worker came by yesterday to show off his Curve then placed it in his back pocket. I said Where is your case? he said it doesn't come with one he'll have to wait for the Seido to come out. Why in the world would BB sell the Curve with No Case? Anyone Anyone

www.twitter.com/SgtAndyNorris
Old 06-06-2007, 11:06 PM   #2
sonic117
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: 2404D7A1
Carrier: AT&T

Marketing ploy to sell them separately???

I was very puzzled as well when I opened my box yesterday!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
Spiffyis5150
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Because AT&T and RIM want to make extra money making us buy accessories we shouldn't have to buy in the first place.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
Andyn

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT&T / Verizon

True! It does fit in 8800 case....Also I was surprised it was only 199.00. 8800 was much more. I'll keep my 8800.....

www.twitter.com/SgtAndyNorris
Old 06-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
SUFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

kind of like the ipod...make money on the accessories???
Old 06-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #6
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

I think we should all get together and complain to RIM that they should have given us one. Especially for the price tag some of us paid.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
glacked
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: ATT

Andy, I knew you were looking at my butt when I walked off.

Currently, I'm using my old 7130 OEM case to tote my 8300. It works well enough although the magnets do not engage the carry mode. The local Att/Cing store doesn't have anything to fit it as of yet. They are even out of the 8800 cases - which I'd happily use until Seido releases theirs.

Ah well, still love the phone.

For referece, Andy, I was wrong about the price. It was $174.99 when I looked at the sheet in the box. The online list showed $199.99 as the price. The lesser price has been confirmed by my bank, so I'm pleased.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
ant architect
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

It's up to the carrier as to what is included in the box.

The O2 BlackBerry Curve comes with a leather pocket. Most of the BlackBerry Curves sold will include it. The AT&T Curve does not include it because they decided not to. The reason that carriers do this is to keep the cost of their kit down, which may or may not bring the final price of the device down for the customer (probably does). It's definitely a perk though that AT&T has the opportunity for more accessory revenue as a result of not including the holster.

The Pearl didn't include one either. They are consumer-oriented devices and most young professionals and consumers don't want to wear dorky belt clips. They would rather throw their phone in their pocket.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #9
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Blackberry.com has them in a couple of colors, I ordered mine about 2 weeks before the Curve was released because I noticed the o2 version came with the leather sleeve, which is not really to my liking! The case is made of leather that feels a little softer then the one that came with my 8800, better made! And it's a considerable amount smaller as well to fit the smaller size of the Curve. Anyway, $29 with out shipping! Comes to about $44 with 2nd day shipping.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
JR8700BIG

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A

I went back to att and told them there was no case in the box.. they guy looked at me like i was a retarted.. i cant believe it doesnt come with one. That has been my only complaint.. Othere than that i absolutly love the phone. So much better than the 8700 and 8800, i believe
Old 06-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #11
ant architect
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR8700BIG View Post
I went back to att and told them there was no case in the box.. they guy looked at me like i was a retarted.. i cant believe it doesnt come with one. That has been my only complaint.. Othere than that i absolutly love the phone. So much better than the 8700 and 8800, i believe

Like you were a retarted?

It's "retard", still not a great choice of words though.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #12
quillhill

Model: Torch
Carrier: at&t

It's not as bad as when I bought the LG CU500 or Samsung SYNC -- 3G music phones -- that didn't come with memory cards, software or data cables. But, both phones were $279 full price (if I remember right) so whatever.

So, if this is someone's first phone that uses a memory card, they'll have to buy that and I'd be more peeved if I were that customer than not getting a case or holster. I never used the holsters included with my previous BlackBerry devices anyway.

I've got a skin coming to protect it from scratches. That's all I need. I just throw mine in my pocket.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:25 AM   #13
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

The 8700 is not the first Blackberry to not have a case included. And many other phones from other makers and carriers do not include a case
Old 06-08-2007, 06:21 AM   #14
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
The 8700 is not the first Blackberry to not have a case included. And many other phones from other makers and carriers do not include a case

Yean it's pretty common for phones these days to come without a case! Even in the past, the only Treo that I remember coming with a case was the 600. The later models never came with anything. Even my Nokia N95 didn't come with a case, and that phone was pretty dam expensive! More ways for the carriers, and manufacturers to make some more $$$ on us!
Old 06-08-2007, 06:25 AM   #15
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

The reason that a case was not included, as far as I know, is the fact that the Curve is a consumer device and not a business device. Business devices like the 8700 and 8800 come with cases/holsters.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:33 AM   #16
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
The reason that a case was not included, as far as I know, is the fact that the Curve is a consumer device and not a business device. Business devices like the 8700 and 8800 come with cases/holsters.

I am more inclined to believe that not shipping the Curve with a case enables AT&T to tap into the consumer accessory market more fully. They know that most folks will buy accessories like chargers, cases and the like after buying a phone...and not including one insures them at least a little more built-in profit. I am certain that a certain percentage of 8800 buyers never used the case provided for them, choosing either to keep the phone in their pocket or purse, or to use another case or pouch. I can see how AT&T would be looking at that as a place where they could stop their own profit loss and try to recoup.

Last time I looked, every AT&T store had a great supply of good (if horribly overpriced) accessories on display...just like most car dealerships display a smattering of good (if horribly expensive) accessories for that new car you just bought.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:16 AM   #17
SBibbo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000

I agree, but realistically, Ive never liked the cased that came with any of my phones or PDA's. I'd rather cut the cost by twenty or thirty bucks and go buy my own accessories.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:03 AM   #18
acnst
BBF Moderator

PIN: not configured

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
LOL. What an argument for not including a case.
T-Mobile Germany for example is shipping the Curve with a case. I have attached a picture of the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	l_8300_vinyl_pocket_black.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	8371  

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 06-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #19
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by acnst View Post
LOL. What an argument for not including a case.
T-Mobile Germany for example is shipping the Curve with a case. I have attached a picture of the case.
That picture is a good reason for NOT including a case. A guy would need one of the man-bags to carry that.

It's a money-making proposition.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #20
fftonyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

This is only my second post on these boards. First off I want to say how much inside tech info I've picked up on these boards from BB philes. There is much to know that I would have not known otherwise.

As far as a case is concerned. This is my third BB. I traded in an 8700 for the Curve. I like the Curve although battery life is suspect.

But here is what I am using for a case. The Curve fits perfectly. Since most of the time I have my BB on vibrate it works for me. And a profile change is a simple "F" key stroke.

Lowe Pro Camera Case.

I know this doesn't work for everyone, but it has been a great alternative.
Closed Thread