Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:55 AM   #21
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Please Login to Remove!

before I went to the 8130 I owned the 8703 for a year and I think mine rebooted maybe 6 times by itself.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:54 AM   #22
trekuhl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703
Carrier: vzw

i have noticed many times when it rebooted i was in the car driving...
Old 02-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #23
grinch

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I think it isn't reception persay, but a problem with the radio or radio driver. I notice that the only time it has rebooted is when I've received a message or updating my RSS feeds in Viigo, or the BlackBerry is handing off between 1x and EV modes.

Strange, but I'm hoping to upgrade to either the 8830 or 8130 sometime soon.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #24
bvandrasik
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint
Angry Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
before I went to the 8130 I owned the 8703 for a year and I think mine rebooted maybe 6 times by itself.
Thanks for the helpful reply - twice in the same thread. And in every other thread concerning 8703e reboots.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #25
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvandrasik View Post
Thanks for the helpful reply - twice in the same thread. And in every other thread concerning 8703e reboots.
and your point is? it was just as helpful as your post pointing out that i replied twice in this thread. Are you stalking me or what?
If you look its also ben two months since I posted that.

Last edited by Dawg; 02-06-2008 at 01:31 PM..
Old 02-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #26
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb Lets Get together and solve this problem with a little science

All: As I read this thread, which I have previously avoided as it is not a problem I experience, I note one possible common theme: It seems that people who have this problem are more likely to use BES than BIS. I use BIS on VZW and have not experienced this issue.

So, I propose a test to this community and if you all cooperate we might find out what causes this:

I ask everyone who reads this to respond with two items: your carrier and whether you use BES of BIS or both.

If enough of you respond, we might get a statistically valid answer that we can then report to RIM and get rid of this problem. If nothing else I am tired of constantly seeing this problem being reported and not solved.

I will tabulate the results and report here. As previously stated, I use BIS and Verizon

Old 02-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #27
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106)

When I had this problem, I was using BIS.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #28
trekuhl

Model: 8703

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekuhl View Post
have also had this prob with vzw 8703. hasnt happened in a few weeks now, but has been going on for over a year. will randomly shut off and sometime happens several times a day. then go for weeks without an issue...

mine gets rebooted every few days as i charge two extra batteries on external charger and swap out (all OEM rim bats) and have tried using individual batteries for lengths of time to ensure not simple bat issue.

ive got the warranty thru vzw but never bothered to pursue it. since sept my BB has seen some road rash from a couple small accidents and i am sure they would likely blame the issues on that even though its been happening for much longer. figure ill either swap out near end of contract, of just get a newer model this fall or wait for the next model.

-trekuhl
VZW - BIS

-t
Old 02-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #29
Stacey

Model: 8703e

I use Sprint - BIS

I find that mine reboots alot when I am using Yahoo IM.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:51 AM   #30
forevergreen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour

BIS VZW

thanks for looking into this.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:59 AM   #31
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudres View Post
All: As I read this thread, which I have previously avoided as it is not a problem I experience, I note one possible common theme: It seems that people who have this problem are more likely to use BES than BIS. I use BIS on VZW and have not experienced this issue.

So, I propose a test to this community and if you all cooperate we might find out what causes this:

I ask everyone who reads this to respond with two items: your carrier and whether you use BES of BIS or both.

If enough of you respond, we might get a statistically valid answer that we can then report to RIM and get rid of this problem. If nothing else I am tired of constantly seeing this problem being reported and not solved.

I will tabulate the results and report here. As previously stated, I use BIS and Verizon

BIS Vzw

and it looks like alot of the folks are sprint users too.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:50 AM   #32
grinch

Model: 9630

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I'm a VZW BIS user as well.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #33
bvandrasik
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

BES Sprint

(Although it seems obvious to me, you should have stated that only people with reboot problems should respond to this poll. At least one respondent (Dawg) is not having reboot problems.)
Old 02-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #34
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvandrasik View Post
BES Sprint

(Although it seems obvious to me, you should have stated that only people with reboot problems should respond to this poll. At least one respondent (Dawg) is not having reboot problems.)
such a big baby! Are you mad because I am not having problems or do you just like attacking me? I am so sorry that I posted twice in the same thread, please get over it. This is a public forum and if you dont like what I have to say then there is an ignore feature please use it. Other wise drop it.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #35
hudres

Default Let's Keep it Unemotional

First, thank you to those of you who have already posted the requested info. Second, let's try to solve this problem and not engage in personal cuts. For the record, I have never experienced this problem, and I use my BB constantly (4 - 5 K min per month), run a host of 3rd party apps, etc.

I am tracking these answers using an Excel Spreadsheet and am starting to see some trends emerging. I will wait until we get a few more posts to see if what I am seeing holds true. At that point I will both report the results and propose a test that has a good chance of isolating the problem.

I do this out of a combination of scientific curiosity and altruism, as I am not affected by this particular problem. I do have a strong suspicion, and if this is proven, I will then write a program to correct it which I will freely distribute. I have done software development as an offshoot of my work and troubleshooting of both hardware and software for my over 20 years.

To those of you who have not yet posted a reply to my request, I urge you to do so, particularly if you are experiencing this problem. People who do not experience the problem should post too as it helps the analysis. Thanks

Old 02-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #36
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
First, thank you to those of you who have already posted the requested info. Second, let's try to solve this problem and not engage in personal cuts. For the record, I have never experienced this problem, and I use my BB constantly (4 - 5 K min per month), run a host of 3rd party apps, etc.

I am tracking these answers using an Excel Spreadsheet and am starting to see some trends emerging. I will wait until we get a few more posts to see if what I am seeing holds true. At that point I will both report the results and propose a test that has a good chance of isolating the problem.

I do this out of a combination of scientific curiosity and altruism, as I am not affected by this particular problem. I do have a strong suspicion, and if this is proven, I will then write a program to correct it which I will freely distribute. I have done software development as an offshoot of my work and troubleshooting of both hardware and software for my over 20 years.

To those of you who have not yet posted a reply to my request, I urge you to do so, particularly if you are experiencing this problem. People who do not experience the problem should post too as it helps the analysis. Thanks

your a good man and a asset to the BB community. Thanks for trying to help resolve the problem.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #37
simon_hed

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

I'm on Alltel 8703e BES. It reboots several times a week, maybe once a day or so. I starting noticing it when my brickbreaker paused games were getting lost, because it never happened when I was using it.

Then I dropped it off my motorcycle one day, and it took quite a beating. It was getting progressively worse before then. I figured my warranty was over at that point and now I just live with it.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #38
hudres

Arrow Analysis of Re-boot Problem

Thanks to those of you who have participated in the survey I requested. As it has been 24 hours and no additional posts, I will analyze the data I have.

What comes out of the data is that the problem appears to be tied to memory loading. Many of the reporting users indicated that the problem occurs during some memory intensive operations or more specifically when the memory is overloaded. The reason I say this is that one user reported that he pulls his battery frequently and still has occasional problems. It is well known that pulling the battery to re-boot clears a lot of memory. But it does not clear all the memory. There is persistent memory in the BB architecture. This can be cleared in a number of ways (I will discuss these later).

As I have (fortunately) not experienced the problem, I compared my usage methodology to the replies of the survey. In addition to changing batteries, I routinely clean the internet cache(a persistent memory area), I use the Memory Cleaning Tool that is part of the BB OS. I also track my memory level. I am a heavy user (4 - 5K minutes per month with a lot of Web time). I have frequently observed that on days when I am particularly busy, I will chew up 4 or 5M of memory. That is a lot. I usually have about 28M available (not bad for someone running over 30 3rd party apps). But I can run that down to 15 or 16M in 2 or 3 days.

In order to test my theory, I ask ask of you to bear with me and help conduct a physical experiment. It is particularly important that user who experience frequent reboots participate. The experiment needs to run for a week to ensure a statistically reliable result.

The Experiment:

The basic premise is that I want you to clear all memory areas every day at approximately the same time. This requires that each participant do the following:

1. Very Important: Go to Options:Status and record the Free Memory.

2. Clear Internet Cache: This is found when running the browser in Options, Cache Operations. Clear or verify that all three registers show 0K. If you happen to run Opera, you will also have to clear the cache for that. As I don't run Opera, I cannot give you specific instructions, but they are probably similar. If you are running Opera, make sure thatthe BB Browser caches are clear.

3. Memory Cleaning: Go to Options, Security, Memory Cleaning. On the "Show Icon on Home Screen) line, set the option to Yes. This will place a button on your applications screen. Run this applet when you are cleaning the rest of the memory.

4. Pull the Battery: Do A Battery Pull reboot. While you have the battery out, depress and hold down the Power On button on the top of the BB for about 10 seconds. Then replace the battery and let it boot.

5. Go back to Options: Status and record the free memory again. You will want to make a little log to record all this data.

6. In your log, add a column that will detail if and when it reboots by itself and what you were doing immediately prior to the reboot.

That is the experiment that needs to be run. This will tell us if this is truly a memory related problem. I think it is but need the statistics to verify the solution.

If we get a positive result, I will write a program that does this automatically (I am already a registered BB Developer). I suspect that most of you do not purge your memory on a regular basis, and that is the underlying principal of my theory.

Finally if this seems like too much work for you, don't do it and live with your constant reboots. Remember, this is not my problem, it is yours and I am only interested for scientific reasons (I hate unsolved problems). But also consider that I do this every day (except the data logging) and I don't have the problem. Figure it out. 73
Old 02-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #39
inertiatic

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A

Hey Everyone,
I only found this thread after getting a 2nd report of this issue. I administer our Blackberry Enterprise Server of nearly 200 devices with a good mixture of Nextel 7520's, 8703's, and 8830's. I'm on an 8830 myself obviously but we have been rolling out more and more 8703's lately upgrading 7520's that don't require Direct Connect.

My first report of the rebooting was after we upgraded a user to one. I first thought she was just trying to get an 8830 and putting in random complaints. Her device was RMA'ed and shortly after it began doing the same thing. They even RMA'ed it a 2nd time and now her device is back at it. (Alltel)

Today I get another report of a Sprint 8703 randomly rebooting so I Googled this page. I just emailed the RIM address mentioned above and will try to contact some of my various contacts (Sr Wireless Engineers for various carriers). Hopefully there is a fix for this!

Thanks
Old 02-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #40
Stacey

Model: 8703e
Default Analysis of Re-boot Problem

Thanks for the analysis and your suggestions. I am going to do this everyday and see if it helps. So far, I 've done all the steps except that in #3, I don't seem to have the option of Memory Cleaning, could it be somewhere else?
Thanks.
Closed Thread