Old 04-25-2006, 01:47 PM   #21
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

if it is "sent from BB" then don't miss this part of the directions:

Use the following filter to save your sent mail written from your BB to copy to your Gmail.
On the Blackberry Web Client, BCC:yourname@Gmail.com. Since the forward filter only sends mail addressed to the "to" filed and not the bcc: you won't get your sent mail coming back to your BB. However you won't get mail sent to you as a cc or bcc either.

This is why the complete integration of Yahoo with the new BIS is better.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:48 PM   #22
stripesace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Hate to beat a dead horse, but theres a filter on your BB that you can set that BCC only. So you can still get CC's. I dont know if i have this option because I'm on a BES or not. I havnt had my email run through a BIS in a long time. I'm looking to do this with my girlfriend bb
Old 04-30-2006, 02:59 PM   #23
pengrus

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I followed the tip on this page - the last one:

http://home.comcast.net/~tamsterra/OP/Gmail.htm

And it works perfectly.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:27 PM   #24
teskew

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular

Stinson, I read your gmail tips and I have a question....

I forward my mail from gmail to my BB using the Forwarding/POP settings in gmail. I noticed your tip mentions using the gmail filter rather than the Forwarding/POP settings to forward my mail to my BB. My question is: which option do you think is better and why or does it really matter which option (Forwarding -v- Filtering) is used?

Thanks!!
Old 04-30-2006, 10:30 PM   #25
pengrus

Model: 8800

I am not 100% sure, but the Filtering will filter out a lot of spams, and it avoid the duplicate Gmail delivery due to its conversation nature.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:19 AM   #26
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengrus
I followed the tip on this page - the last one:

http://home.comcast.net/~tamsterra/OP/Gmail.htm

And it works perfectly.

Wow, I wished that was mentioned before. Somewhere in this thread, someone should have mentioned that. If I read the whole thread I am sure I would have seen that...like in post # 6.....
Old 05-01-2006, 09:38 AM   #27
teskew

I specifically mentioned that I read Stinson's tips and I know how to bcc mail with filters. I was asking him which method (forward -v-filter) he thought was better.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:57 AM   #28
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teskew
I specifically mentioned that I read Stinson's tips and I know how to bcc mail with filters. I was asking him which method (forward -v-filter) he thought was better.

I know, that comment was for the person I quoted who points to the website I referenced 10 days ago. Sorry you took it wrong.

By the way...I use the forwarding to send the e-mail (from Gmail)to my BB via Blackberry webclient. I also Pop my Gmail to get it into Outlook on my PC.

I use this method because it gives me an instant copy on my BB and a copy to my PC when it send/recieves ( I have that set to 1 minute). I then keep a copy on Gmail. I have three e-mail addresses all running into Gmail this way.

Stinsondogs tips use both forwarding ( to get it to you) and filtering ( to keep from getting duplicates etc). It is a combo of forwarding and filtering as I see it.
Any other q's let me know.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #29
teskew

Sorry!!!

I do the exact same thing you do and it has been working great for me. I have been reading some of the gmail discussions and some people reference the filter way of getting mail and I was just curious about it.

Have a good day!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:10 AM   #30
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Stinson, I read your gmail tips and I have a question....

I forward my mail from gmail to my BB using the Forwarding/POP settings in gmail. I noticed your tip mentions using the gmail filter rather than the Forwarding/POP settings to forward my mail to my BB. My question is: which option do you think is better and why or does it really matter which option (Forwarding -v- Filtering) is used?

Thanks!!
The filtering seems to be a more robust result with the copies in an Archive folder. Do what seems best for you. I just updated the page this am. I really want BIS 2.0 to act like BES with sub-folders. Not there yet. AND GMail needs to get into this act too.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:10 AM   #31
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Sorry!!!

I do the exact same thing you do and it has been working great for me. I have been reading some of the gmail discussions and some people reference the filter way of getting mail and I was just curious about it.

Have a good day!
'

Old 05-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #32
teskew

Thanks Stinson!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:29 AM   #33
Joe@RIM

Model: 7290

Forwarding Gmail is sooo much better.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:40 AM   #34
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

I use the filters so that i can save to subfolders at gmail, unfortunately as Stinson has pointed out this does not reconcile to your BIS.

Running OS 6.0.0.524

Last edited by Stinsonddog; 05-01-2006 at 12:46 PM..
Old 05-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #35
cman6453
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130c

jr - i was having the EXACT same issue that you were having. i was popping the email, per gmail's instructions. instead of popping the mail, i just did the forwarding thing per stinsonddog's site and everything is working fine now. forwarding is realtime whereas the popping had @ 15 min delay and the duplication thing. over 1000 emails in 8 hours!!!

ur filter in gmail should b forwarding [email address] to [email address]. this allows any incoming mail to be forwarded to your BB.

in the BIS, you should have your auto BCC (Profile > Auto BCC) set up to go to [email address]. this allows you to have a copy of your sent email in your gmail acct.

it's setup this way so that when u reply via BB to a gmail email, it won't send u a duplicate notification on your BB since it's BCC'ing your gmail acct. gmail will foward mail to the BB ONLY if your email address is in the TO: field. ALSO, deleting the email on your BB will delete the emails on your BIS acct but NOT in your gmail acct.

hope this makes sense to you. basically, setup the ONE filter in gmail and your Auto BCC in the BIS. DONE.

Last edited by cman6453; 05-01-2006 at 12:44 PM..
Old 05-01-2006, 06:22 PM   #36
wmt

Hmm. I like the filters option, but what if you're receiving mail on your Gmail account from many other email accounts?

I assume a usable workaround would be as follows?

1. Create a new gmail account called [email address] (or whatever).

2. Set the auto-BCC in BIS to send to [email address]

3. Set the bbsent_wmt account to forward everything to the primary gmail account.

4. Set the first of the two filters to skip inbox/label as bberry-sent anything that comes from [email address].

5. Set the second filter as in:inbox and forward to the tmo/cingular bberry address.

Make sense?
Old 05-01-2006, 07:15 PM   #37
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmt
Hmm. I like the filters option, but what if you're receiving mail on your Gmail account from many other email accounts?

I assume a usable workaround would be as follows?

1. Create a new gmail account called [email address] (or whatever).

2. Set the auto-BCC in BIS to send to [email address]

3. Set the bbsent_wmt account to forward everything to the primary gmail account.

4. Set the first of the two filters to skip inbox/label as bberry-sent anything that comes from [email address].

5. Set the second filter as in:inbox and forward to the tmo/cingular bberry address.

Make sense?

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve with this "workaround". The basic setup as shown in Stinsondog's website will work with multiple accounts being forwarded to Gmail. I currently forward multiple e-mail addys to Gmail and they are forwarded to my BB and held on Gmail for Outlook to Pop.

Are you trying to keep them all seperate or something? Just not sure what you want to do....

The delivery order is like this:
anyone@anyemail address.com---forwarded to [email address]---forwarded to [email address]

Last edited by johnfromphilly; 05-01-2006 at 07:18 PM..
Old 05-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #38
Starkad

Model: 7100t

This is a known issue with Cingular and their pop mail service. I am on the phone with Cingular and RIM right now. Both are acknowledging this is an issue. Not just with Gmail, but with ALL POP mail... And it's hit or miss. They are gathering info from whomever this happens to, to try and find the problem.

-Stk
Old 05-01-2006, 08:39 PM   #39
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkad
This is a known issue with Cingular and their pop mail service. I am on the phone with Cingular and RIM right now. Both are acknowledging this is an issue. Not just with Gmail, but with ALL POP mail... And it's hit or miss. They are gathering info from whomever this happens to, to try and find the problem.

-Stk
To what problem are you referring? This is a long thread.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:43 PM   #40
wmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfromphilly
I am not sure what you are trying to achieve with this "workaround". The basic setup as shown in Stinsondog's website will work with multiple accounts being forwarded to Gmail. I currently forward multiple e-mail addys to Gmail and they are forwarded to my BB and held on Gmail for Outlook to Pop.

Are you trying to keep them all seperate or something? Just not sure what you want to do....

The delivery order is like this:
anyone@anyemail address.com---forwarded to [email address]---forwarded to [email address]
Sorry, John, I should have been clearer. And before I go on, just to clarify, I am talking about forwarding all Gmail and saving mail sent from the BB while avoiding the problem of receiving on the BB the sent-mail that you bcc'ed back to Gmail.

Anyway...

The filter option seems to go off of the To: address. When my emails come into Gmail, the original To: address is in that field, not the Gmail address. So it would seem that I'd have to create separate filters for each of those possible incoming addresses, which I wouldn't mind doing except that I have a bunch of them and I don't want to forget any of 'em.

My "workaround" was to allow the first filter to auto-forward everything without regard for the To: field. That way, I could use the second filter to weed out anything from the sent-mail address.

PS - Perhaps I should have noted earlier that I definitely want to be able to see emails that I send from my BB that I cc or bcc myself on. Hence the (perceived?) need for the second address.
Closed Thread