BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #21
El Blackberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I'm comparing both battery covers right now, one from my old 7230 and one for my 8700g, the plastic and the clips for the 7230 are strong and very thick, hard to even purpose move let alone break. And the clips for the 8700 cover are thin and can easily bend, like I said, i broke one of mine after 2 or 3 times of taking the cover off. It's no secret that the 8700 clips are inferior to the 7230/90 but why others aren't breaking is beyond me. I was being very gentle with mine and it bent and broke off.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #22
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I guess time will tell the real story if its junk design / junk material or if I abused mine by slamming it on the ground until the little clips broke. I am pretty confident this will be a major issue.

Last edited by LunkHead; 04-27-2006 at 03:55 PM..
Old 04-27-2006, 07:43 PM   #23
pengrus
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

From my experience, I was never able to negotiate any money off with Tmobile for some overcharge. I don't really their their rep has the freedom to accomodate the customer no matter what case it is. On the other hand, Cingular rep has more freedom to do so and has been very helpful whenever I got a problem.

I've been with Tmobile and Cingular (two separate lines) for the past three years, and finally switched all over to Cingular.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #24
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

In my mind, while TMO should shoulder some of the blame, the most blame ought to lie with RIM for going with such a cheapo design.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:04 PM   #25
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck
In my mind, while TMO should shoulder some of the blame, the most blame ought to lie with RIM for going with such a cheapo design.
Ya RIM gets some of the blame but it was T-Mo who kept telling me over and over again that the tabs were not broken when I took the BB out of the box so therefore is physical abuse on my part. I offered to send them the phone back to examine but they basically just blew me off with their physical damage thing.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:31 PM   #26
TmoTech
Thumbs Must Hurt

waa
Old 04-27-2006, 08:40 PM   #27
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Are you really a T-Mo tech? If so then you just proved what customers can expect from your company! Thanks for proving my point!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:41 PM   #28
toddz

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymitsu3kgt
You have to watch out when buying dummy phones. I had a 7100t that I scratched and then purchased a dummy phone to fix it. Everything worked perfectly. My friend tried the same thing with a 7105t and there were no workable parts to put the guts of his phone into. Even the battery door popped on with posts instead of slide on with latches. Sometimes even when you ask the ebay seller, they'll say you can use the dummy phone for parts when it clearly can't be.
Yeah the 7105t dummy phones were a total bust. They were some cheap theatrical replica just for show only. I just can't beleive that RIM would go through the extra trouble of hiring a 3rd party to make these replicas. It would seem way less effort to just place an insert in for the LCD and use an original case. Maybe they just wanted to hose a few buyers using them for case replacement. While I am at it, I also can't beleive there are only 2 places on earth to purchase BlackBerry case replacements.

toddz
Old 04-27-2006, 09:08 PM   #29
nosidam

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
I agree with you about the blame lying with RIM, but the problem is that the phone was bought from T-Mobile and therefore T-Mobile provides the support for the phone.

What I would do would be to go to the store where you bought it from, show them that there is no trauma damage to the phone that would occur if there was a drop, and tell them that they need to fix the problem or you will change providers.

In my mind, the $150 contract break cost is not much more than one month's bill, and I can live with that cost if I don't have to give the greedy bastards any more of my money.

(short story: I was a Sprint wireless customer once, and my business was a Sprint business customer - I was the IT manager. My wireless phone died literally on the last day of it's warranty, I called them at night when I got home after dinner/drinks, but was on hold for about 45 minutes. When I finally got through to someone, they explained that the phone was out of warranty and that they wouldn't replace it. I explained (nicely at first) that it died in warranty but I was on hold for so long that the effing date changed. He wouldn't budge. Spoke to the supervisor...same thing.
Next day, got to work, first call I made was to Verizon. Second call was to my Sprint rep, telling him I was cancelling all of our frame relay/frac T/full T lines, all $45,000/month of them. I told him why and he told me he would call me back in 5 min. He did and explained that a new phone was on it's way to me, as well as 4 more for my family. I explained that I didn't want them because I don't want to do business with a company is going to treat an average consumer in such a way.
They lost half a million dollars a year over a $50 phone. The sad thing is that the only person who probably got hurt over it was my business rep, who's actually a pretty good guy.)
Old 04-27-2006, 09:21 PM   #30
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosidam
Quote:
I agree with you about the blame lying with RIM, but the problem is that the phone was bought from T-Mobile and therefore T-Mobile provides the support for the phone.

What I would do would be to go to the store where you bought it from, show them that there is no trauma damage to the phone that would occur if there was a drop, and tell them that they need to fix the problem or you will change providers.

In my mind, the $150 contract break cost is not much more than one month's bill, and I can live with that cost if I don't have to give the greedy bastards any more of my money.

(short story: I was a Sprint wireless customer once, and my business was a Sprint business customer - I was the IT manager. My wireless phone died literally on the last day of it's warranty, I called them at night when I got home after dinner/drinks, but was on hold for about 45 minutes. When I finally got through to someone, they explained that the phone was out of warranty and that they wouldn't replace it. I explained (nicely at first) that it died in warranty but I was on hold for so long that the effing date changed. He wouldn't budge. Spoke to the supervisor...same thing.
Next day, got to work, first call I made was to Verizon. Second call was to my Sprint rep, telling him I was cancelling all of our frame relay/frac T/full T lines, all $45,000/month of them. I told him why and he told me he would call me back in 5 min. He did and explained that a new phone was on it's way to me, as well as 4 more for my family. I explained that I didn't want them because I don't want to do business with a company is going to treat an average consumer in such a way.
They lost half a million dollars a year over a $50 phone. The sad thing is that the only person who probably got hurt over it was my business rep, who's actually a pretty good guy.)
I agree!!!! The $150 is noting to comapre what they will loose in a year from me and on top of that I totally agree that I will not pay for service with a company that treats its customers so poorly.

I wish I could bring it back to the store but I bought it online. I am in the process of looking at Cingular. I need the BB, the BB plan and 2 other regular lines on a family plan.

The T-Mo supervisor I spoke with actually said, in response to my comment of changing providers, "that it was not in my best interest because I will pay termination fees" I asked him how he knows what is in my best interest. Basically T-Mo will loose $2,500 a year over a .20 cent battery cover. Ya that's great business! Sure my yearly payment is a drop in the bucket but times that by 100 miss-treated customers and it starts hitting them where it hurts the most.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:23 PM   #31
TmoTech
Thumbs Must Hurt

that is the nature of the business, not being satified and thinking the grass is greener on the other side, at the moment we have at least a million bb users, and to have a few not go perfectly is to be expected of any endeavor where XXX in a million odds are involved, so unless you CREATE something better, all you are is a whiner....and like everyone else here gets to express an opinion, i expect the same in return, without labeling me as speaking for my entire crew of 45,000+ employees, its sensationalist and sad...
Old 04-27-2006, 09:35 PM   #32
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Maybe you should act more professional if you are going to have a nick of TmoTech and announce in other threads that you are an employee. Calling customers whiners and making waa comments is not very professional and really does prove my point about the quality of customer support current and future customers can expect.

If you wish to announce yourself as an employee then at least carry yourself with a tad bit of professionalism!
Old 04-27-2006, 10:45 PM   #33
pengrus

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmoTech
that is the nature of the business, not being satified and thinking the grass is greener on the other side, at the moment we have at least a million bb users, and to have a few not go perfectly is to be expected of any endeavor where XXX in a million odds are involved, so unless you CREATE something better, all you are is a whiner....and like everyone else here gets to express an opinion, i expect the same in return, without labeling me as speaking for my entire crew of 45,000+ employees, its sensationalist and sad...
This kind of tone and kind of service is the exact reason why I switched from TMO to Cingular. Being a tech guy is different being a business guy, you apparently lack of the common business sense of making sure your customers are satisfied.

And who are you? speaking for YOUR crew of 45,000 employees? Give me a break!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 10:47 PM   #34
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c

Easy guys. Keep this conversation professional and calm. Remember for everyone that agrees, there is someone that disagrees.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:08 PM   #35
CBR900RR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: Tmobile

This is my personal experience with tmobile/voicestream.

I was with them since day 1 (1996), back then is was call voicestream which is the very 1st digital cell phone carrirer in Hawaii, if I remember correctly, the plan I got was $19.99 for 30min (so ever min count LOL), couple times I have a drop call, I will call the customer service and they always credit me with the full 30 extra min for that months, and my brother told me when they put him on hold for more than a couple of min, they will give out free min too.

Beginning of this year, I purchase a 7105t, web site advertise with 2 usb cable and it only comes with 1, call them up and they give me a credit to purchase another one from tmobile.com.

One week ago, purchase the 8700G, web site advertise with domestic and international charger, and it only comes with the domestic one (pretty sure that's what everybody have over here, and nobody mention that??), call them up and get $35.xx credit to purchase one from them again.

Thru out all this years, no doubt in my mind that there service is not as good as before, couple times I have to deal with some clueless, ruthless rep, but overall service is acceptable.

The key is to hold your stand if you are right(that's how I get back my usb cable and the charger), but LUNKFEAD, your situation is in the gray area, they give you a paper thin battery door in one piece and you break it, clearly is not TMO fault, it is a design problem with RIM, but TMO should assist with the warranty repair for you thru RIM because they sell it to you, it is very unprofessional to say that it is a physical damage and not a defect, that problem should be direct to RIM and they make the call.

Last edited by CBR900RR; 04-27-2006 at 11:11 PM..
Old 04-28-2006, 07:09 AM   #36
earpon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 24B4E64D
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Try going back to the store where you bought that from and explain what happened. That is, if you're still within the 14 day buyer's remorse period.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:48 AM   #37
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

There definitely is truth to the old saying "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence". Good luck with Cingular!

Last edited by takeshi; 04-28-2006 at 08:58 AM..
Old 04-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #38
spblat

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead

...I was told they would not send me a new battery cover because it was physical damage...
Here's the difference between T-Mo and a company committed to customer service.

A few months ago, the battery cover failed on my Harmony Remote (a product I believe everyone should buy). I e-mailed Harmony (now part of Logitech), and had a new cover within a few days. No pushback whatsoever.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:38 AM   #39
bjallen2880
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spblat
Here's the difference between T-Mo and a company committed to customer service.

A few months ago, the battery cover failed on my Harmony Remote (a product I believe everyone should buy). I e-mailed Harmony (now part of Logitech), and had a new cover within a few days. No pushback whatsoever.
Ok here is a different point of view that has been pointed out. The Harmony Remote had a problem. This individual went to the MANUFACTURER, not the reseller of the product with the issue and it was resolved. Maybe RIM has some battery doors laying around they can send you - and you can bring up your battery issue with them at the same time. The goal - a hopefully satisifed customer and a manufacturing company with a possible design issue to look at.

This is my personal opinion.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:44 AM   #40
El Blackberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I'm about to e-mail RIM and ask about the battery covers etc. You can e-mail them and let them know what's up! it's [email address] I figure if they get enough e-mails they can address the problems some of us are having.
Closed Thread