SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Ok Finally got this plug-in working!!

Got all Labels in my BlackBerry!

I can finally start using this plugin, this is going to make things a lot easier.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #42
bbkingrocks
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Two big drawbacks that I found and uninstalled the plug in as a result. One is that All Mail must be set to show in IMAP which I believe significantly slowed down most actions in Outlook. Secondly, since installing the plug in and enabling All Mail, I received emails that are filtered in Gmail to skip the inbox and would not previously have been sent to my BB.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:54 PM   #43
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

I think I'm doing something wrong here.

I reinitialized my GMail account, downloaded the plug-in, and installed. I have the new icon, and I can tell it did something because the following menu option is now visible in my new Gmail icon/app menu:

Options > Enhanced Gmail Plug-in Options

However, I'm not seeing any other differences. No other menu items, no visual differences with this upgrade. Am I missing something?
Old 09-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #44
wu-wei
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: A GADDA DA VIDA
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I've had some interesting experiences with this new plugin.

I tested it on 2 of my accounts (both are Google Apps accounts). I ran through the drill of deleting them in BIS, then adding them as new, then installing the plug-in.

Got the new message box icons (inconsistent with my theme, but whatever) and was unimpressed with the feature set.

Uninstalled the plug-in.

Now I have 9 messages that are apparently stuck in a queue somewhere. Every so often, they get pushed to my device. I delete them on my device and they reappear later. I've archived them through Gmail, too.

I've also tried deleting and reinstalling the account through BIS - but I get the same result.

Any thoughts on how to get rid of these phantom messages?

Another interesting point, one of my accounts (just a plain old gmail account) which doesn't see much activity, automatically took on the enhanced plug-in. I didn't have to delete and add new in BIS. I thought that was strange, since my primary gmail account did not exhibit this behavior.

And, yes, I know I've got a bunch of accounts - maybe too many - but that's how I use things.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #45
monkeypaw

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Cool, we can finally mark something as spam from the phone.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #46
MyPearl

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by z7x8c9 View Post
Hi,

I've been trying to use the new gmail plugin with my google apps account, but whatever I do, I just can't get the damn thing to use it.

On my personal gmail, it works fine...

Anyone has any tips on getting the gmail plugin to work with google apps accounts?

thanks
my wife is using on her 8900 on with both regular Gmail and google Apps and it is working great. i am now dowloading on mine...
Old 09-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #47
kathrynhr

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr View Post
I think I'm doing something wrong here.

I reinitialized my GMail account, downloaded the plug-in, and installed. I have the new icon, and I can tell it did something because the following menu option is now visible in my new Gmail icon/app menu:

Options > Enhanced Gmail Plug-in Options

However, I'm not seeing any other differences. No other menu items, no visual differences with this upgrade. Am I missing something?
Edit: finally figured this out. Battery pulls fix many things.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #48
Redflea

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

In case this helps others...I had deleted and reinstalled two of four of my google email accounts for another reason, and got the message about the gmail email plug-in and installed it.

I got the icons on the two accounts I had just re-installed, but not on the others, and none of the new menu items appeared in any of my gmail accounts on the BB.

So I deleted and re-installed the two other gmail accounts, and the updated icons appeared for the other two accounts as well, but still no new menu items.

I resent service books, rebooted, and did a battery pull, no joy.

Finally uninstalled and reinstalled the plug in, and the new menu items appeared and worked.

So make sure you remove and re-add all of your google email accounts before installing the plug-in.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #49
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

You need to re-add your email accounts if BIS account (if you have not since ~v BIS 2.6 (spring 2008).. They actually added the search feature around that time.

minus:
-Very lame you can't use the plugin from w/in the main mail screen.
-~500k install
-Once the plugin is turned on, there is no way to exist the application unless you reset your device
Old 11-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #50
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: 268B3F92
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkingrocks View Post
Two big drawbacks that I found and uninstalled the plug in as a result. One is that All Mail must be set to show in IMAP which I believe significantly slowed down most actions in Outlook. Secondly, since installing the plug in and enabling All Mail, I received emails that are filtered in Gmail to skip the inbox and would not previously have been sent to my BB.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but has RIM made changes to the way it polls GMail?

I was getting no email at all pushed to BB in the spring. I discovered that this was because I was hiding the 'All Mail' folder in IMAP. The BIS system would poll the All Mail folder, NOT the Inbox. With the GMail plugin, the behavior is exactly the opposite of what you describe. Now I only get emails meant for my inbox in the Inbox for my gmail acct, while all other filtered messages only show up in the main Mesages folder.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #51
curriertech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Another issue I'm seeing with this, is that my gmail messages also show up in my BES mailbox. I searched around and didn't find any solution to this so I uninstalled it and went back to the gmail app. Now I'm just hoping that they release an improved version of the app soon.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #52
SteveO86

Quote:
Originally Posted by curriertech View Post
Another issue I'm seeing with this, is that my gmail messages also show up in my BES mailbox. I searched around and didn't find any solution to this so I uninstalled it and went back to the gmail app. Now I'm just hoping that they release an improved version of the app soon.
That's not an issue.

All emails go into the Messages folder unless the BES is configured to do otherwise.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #53
curriertech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
That's not an issue.

All emails go into the Messages folder unless the BES is configured to do otherwise.
Is that in the IT Policy? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

EDIT, nevermind. Everything I'm reading suggests that you can't change this behavior.

Last edited by curriertech; 11-20-2009 at 02:50 PM..
Old 11-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #54
SteveO86

You can change it but it requires a database change and effects all your users.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #55
curriertech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
You can change it but it requires a database change and effects all your users.
Thanks! I don't think most of our users use more than BES mail....would it have any affect on them, or only on users who had personal email set up on top of that?
Old 11-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #56
SteveO86

Instead of going to the Messages icon for BES EMails, you go to a Desktop icon (or whenever else they may be calling the default Desktop Service.)

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #57
wu-wei

PIN: A GADDA DA VIDA
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I used to have a great setup with my gmail account. I think I integrated with BIS around version 2.6.

I also integrated 2 google apps accounts, which I later deleted and reintegrated to test out the gmail plugin.

Since upgrading to the 9700, I foolishly deleted and reintegrated my old gmail account.

I've had nothing but problems since. I don't like the way the gmail plugin works, and I don't seem to be able to actually delete/archive any messages using my handset.

I uninstalled the plugin from my 9700. Now, every time I clean out unwanted messages, I get a flood of "new messages" - the same ones I just deleted - within an hour or so.

I have deleted and reintegrated all gmail accounts - including google apps - in an effort to fix this issue.

I found that I can access the 'advanced settings' for the google apps accounts, and those settings seem to get me back to my previous state of sync harmony.

But the gmail account will not allow me access to advanced settings, and it is driving me crazy to be stuck with hundreds of unwanted messages on my BlackBerry.

Any thoughts?
Closed Thread