BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
8100_User
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question Who prefers the Pearl 8100 over the new blackberrys and why?

Please Login to Remove!

Who still prefers the Pearl 8100 over the new blackberrys and why? Thanks...
Old 03-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
luc-mobile
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Claro
Cool

I started with a Curve, but eventually surrendered to the Pearl, the one I really wanted. In short, for two reasons: it's reasonably small and very, very elegant. I think it's the most beautiful phone I've ever seen. A lot more practical, too. All the other models are holster-prone pieces. The Pearl is made to be carried in inconspicuous pockets when not simply tossed around.

The only new BlackBerry that has swayed me lately is the 8900, but only because of the specs.

Now, for a lengthy and much more subjective discussion:

Men of style are not supposed to be seen carrying lots of stuff around unless strictly required by their jobs, like postmen or plumbers. It's not classy. Women do that, and they have purses for that. Men don't have purses, and by now every minimally style-aware guy must know what women think about the infamous fanny packs. Holsters are not very different from fanny packs.

The Pearl is slick in every sense: it's small, it won't give you a bulge on the waist line, it's functional and has very elegant design. I also think it looks sports-like, something a tennis player or race driver would use. Or an executive during a break of his squash game.

Curves and Bolds try to look slick, but there is only so much they can do with all that size. They look geeky/dorky, they advertise some sort of insecurity, they scream "I feel naked if I don't carry lots of stuff with me so I am always ready for any situation no matter how much that will clutter my pockets." Just because we are geeks it doesn't mean we have to flaunt the geeky look.

And Storms say "I carry my own home entertainment system wherever I go." Not very manly either. Also, I hate this "dark" tendency of the iPhone, the Bold and the Storm. They all look like something lifted from some sci-fi movie. You know who really, really loves sci-fi movies? Immature men. It's OK to watch them, but if sci-fi design ever begins to creep into your real life, it's time to get a clue and grow up.

The only thing I hate about my Pearl is the camera. As lame as can be. Way to pinch a penny on that one, RIM.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
areardon87

Model: 8100

I have to disagree with you're post to an extent. I don't think classifying what phone you have as more "manly" than others is accurate at all. Sure some phones are bulkier than others, but it all depends on what you like. I recently acquired my BB8100 and love it. It's the best phone I've had to date.

So, in short, I love my 8100. But am also looking at other BB phones (Don't think I'll ever switch to a non-BB again!) that have more features. It's all about what you like!
Old 03-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

The Pearl makes a great cell phone and great PDA for little emails. Long phrases are cut by the size of the screen and typing a long email on qwerty is much easier but I like Suretype for SMS because SMS are short.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I enjoyed using the Pearl series as well, but I couldn't go back to them now. The Curve 8900 doesn't feel that much larger than the Pearl, and it is very light. You can also very pocket-able. What I do, since I don't like just putting it in my jeans without protection, is put it in my Seidio holster and then kind of reverse it so that the clip part is on the outside of the jean pocket and the BB and most of the holster are inside the pocket.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:33 AM   #6
o2mpx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint and ATT

Have tried Curve and new Curve, Bold, but still stuck with my 8120.

For me Suretype keyboard, and small form factor are 2 main reasons. Keys are easier to press as having 2 letters per key means bigger keys. Also can't beat the small size.

Having said that it's boring to have used the same phone for 2 years as I started with the 8100 and now 8120.

Have an unlocked Vodaphone 9500 Storm on the way, and will try it;s suretype. Also Nokia announced the E55, which I'll try also as it has a suretype and is very small form factor.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:04 AM   #7
mDRagON-
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 215C161F

I like my 8120, but for me the 8900 is so much better.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
zocster

PIN: ask
Carrier: Vodafone NZ

the size, I love the size, I just wish next release of Pearl will have 3g, faster processor and larger RAM like the 8220, wifi, GPS and I will be a happy man.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
smith67
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: orange

The Pearl 8100 was my first BB phone and must say I like it a lot. The suretype thing is really great, the ergonomics of the phone are good, and the overall quality of the os and the apps that run are great. The camera does suck, bigtime, and a larger screen would be good. These aren't faults per se, just what I personally want from a phone. I can connect wifi and use google maps to show real time positioning, even in the Scottish Highlands! I don't know if it'll be the last phone I own - mostly for the 2 reasons above - but it is a great piece of hand candy!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
luc-mobile

smith67, I agree with everything you say, but a larger screen would require a larger phone. Perhaps you want an 8900.

All I want is a Pearl with more RAM and better processor just like they did by adding the 8900 to the Curve line, but this time with a really decent camera, with a decent lens and CMOS. No amount of megapixels or auto focus is going to make up for these mickey mouse lenses and sensors that RIM has been fitting into our berries. I have an old and crappy LG with a 1.2 MP camera that takes pictures as good as, I mean, as bad as the ones I take with my much pricier 2.0 MP Pearl. That's just unacceptable.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
smith67
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by luc-mobile View Post
Perhaps you want an 8900.
Is that an offer ?! lol

Seriously, I'm not totally sold on that full qwerty keyboard ... even tho it isn't all that much bigger, it's still bigger. Nice screen tho ...

On the pearl thing, I'm waiting on my new 8110 which hopefully will solve two of my current gripes with the 8100 - the ability to record video and being able to load the media card without having to dismantle half the phone!

Cheers
Old 03-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
luc-mobile

Your problem with the media card will definitely be solved, but don't hold your breath about the camera. It sucks. Serves as an excellent flashlight, though.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
smith67
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

That's funny. I like your description of the holster/fanny pack scenario (tho over here they're called bum bags)(!!) Personally I think the very reason they are called holsters is to lend them a certain macho cache that they are robbed of by their association with bum bags.
Having said all that, my pearl is wearing a very smooth and tight fitting rubber 'skin' - plenty to be said about that as well ;)
Old 03-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #14
walds11
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 3GS

x2 and throw in a better camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zocster View Post
the size, I love the size, I just wish next release of Pearl will have 3g, faster processor and larger RAM like the 8220, wifi, GPS and I will be a happy man.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
Brian Westbrook

Model: 8110
Carrier: FIDO

Having gone through many phones by many mfr, I still prefer the BB. Pearl is the right size. It has crystal clear reception and is quite intuitive. Yes, the camera should be a 2.0; maybe next version.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #16
luc-mobile

The 8110 has a 2 MP camera. But it isn't good. One could argue they look better than those taken with the 8100: more pixels and less noise. But it's still clearly inferior to the camera on the 8300.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #17
borkus

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

The SureType keyboard has had me hooked on my 8100 since I got it. Granted, there are a few words that can get very annoying if typed on a regular basis. But, I send 100's of emails throughout the work week and love the keyboard. I am heavily leaning towards the Bold as an upgrade, but dread using the keyboard. Unless you have hands the size of a six year old, it doesn't feel very comfortable for extended periods of time.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:26 AM   #18
walds11
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 3GS

Same here. I had a Pearl since AT&T first released it back in November 2006. SureType rules. I am leaning towards the Curve 8900 or similar device if AT&T ever releases it and worried about the small keys. I guess I will take it for a trial run when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkus View Post
The SureType keyboard has had me hooked on my 8100 since I got it. Granted, there are a few words that can get very annoying if typed on a regular basis. But, I send 100's of emails throughout the work week and love the keyboard. I am heavily leaning towards the Bold as an upgrade, but dread using the keyboard. Unless you have hands the size of a six year old, it doesn't feel very comfortable for extended periods of time.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #19
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Size matters...small form factor & larger keys & suretype are the winning combo for me. None of the other BBs go in and out of a pants/jeans pocket (how I carry it) w/a protective silicone case on it as easily as the Pearl.

Wish I had more screen real estate sometimes, when browsing or watching a movie, but overall it still seems like the best option for my use/needs.

That said, the BG report on the 9630 is pretty compelling... ;)

Best BB ever, or so they say:

BlackBerry 9630 Review: Part 1 : Boy Genius Report
Old 03-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #20
pcwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: vzw

I have an 8130 & I just got my wife a Curve 8330. I occassionally mess with her phone to see if I like the full qwerty keybd. I think I will stick with my pearl. The keys are WAY too small, & it is weird holding the curve up to your ear. Sometimes it is hard to locate the ear piece/slot. The pearl is the perfect form factor for me, fits nicely in my pocket. IMO the screen size isn't that big of a deal. The increase in screen size on the curve compared to the pearl is still small. It's not like you're going from 2 in. to 10 in. To make a long story short...MY PEARL IS THE BOMB. like previous posters, if they could keep the same form factor & increase the guts...more memory, more MP's, etc, I'd jump on it.
Closed Thread