sandrab

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Default water damage

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit View Post
Funny this thread should pop up as I had problems with my wife's Razor and both my kids Sync's this weekend. Both show as they have water damage and I know for a fact that non of them have been anywhere near water. My wife's Razor won't charge or turn on and my kids Sync's shut off after an hour.

I ordered some replacements off ebay this weekend for them because the AT&T store wouldn't cover them under warranty. Even my 8310 is showing as it has water damage and that has NEVER and I mean NEVER had water in it or on it but it works just fine but I showed it to them and they said that I'm one of the few that have obvious water damage but the device still works.
My blackberry 8310 curve was dropped into water and no longer functions. I love the phone and am wondering if parts are replaceable so that I can keep the shell.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #22
sandrab

any fixes for a blackberry 8310 curve which was dropped into water?
Old 05-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #23
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Those water indicators are the biggest sham in the mobile phone industry. Hmm lets incorporate something that is easily activated and allows us to get out of any warranty obligation, even if it has nothing to do with moisture. Sounds like a great idea, do it.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #24
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
The water damage indicator is not indication that the device was submerged or got wet; it's only evidence that the water damage indicator had moisture on it.

Once a month, I open the door of my 8703e and wipe the dust and gunk that accumulates off with a damp tissue. In the process, the indicator becomes moist and changes color.

'nuff said.
yep and thats anough grounds for them to deny you every time. that sucks so bad
Old 05-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #25
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I agree it's just another way for them to void the warranty and make some extra moola.....

If the damage / fault is not water related then the sensor should not come into play....
Old 05-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #26
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

While I to disagree with the indicators being to sensitive. That is not how I determine that it is water damage often times there are other indicators corrosion of the charging port, condensation underneath the screen.

The indicators are used because at the store level I can't take a phone apart and look internally for what may have been liquid that caused damage. We all know people will try to deceive to get replacement units. Unfortunately this happens more often than one would think.

I think there should be another way to check. but until there is this is it
Old 05-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #27
cyberhound
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t, less bars in less places

if only the battery indicator is tripped why not just replace the battery and then trade it in? yes, you'd pay for the battery but that would be cheaper than a new bb.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #28
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

*sigh

Not one of these.

Dig this. Say you got a nice Sony LCD screen you bought a few months ago. One day, the speakers short out and stop working. You get mad and chuck your remote at the TV, breaking TV screen. You then call sony telling them to fix your TV cause the speakers went out, but you also cracked the screen.

Don't expect them to fix it. Even though one would qualify for "warranty" while the other does (whether you caused it or not), yes they aren't related, but that one action voids it. You can't expect to send in the TV and just have them fix the speakers and send it back. They aren't going to waste time and money. They ain't gonna fix something that's still going to be broke.

I'm not pointing fingers or acusing you of your actions, I just hope you get the point I was trying to make. Even if the problems are totally un-related, you still have to go within the guidlines to make your warranty valid.

I'm giving my insight after working at a spring/nextel repair center for 3 years.

But yes, I agree with you guys, indicator does not mean it was dropped in liquid. All it means is the indicator was exposed you liquid, either you dropped it in the pool, someone spilled their drink over the area, or you with a wet finger for shits and giggles touched the indicator. Either one would void it, but its there rules. No liquid exposure to the device! Means keep it dry, keep it away from anything wet, including hands.

Its like washing your hands, not drying them off completely and going to plug in your appliance and getting electricuted. There all electronics. I'm sure you wouldn't do that, so do try that with your phone. Keep them dry. People are just too rough and careless with their phones these days.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #29
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhound View Post
if only the battery indicator is tripped why not just replace the battery and then trade it in? yes, you'd pay for the battery but that would be cheaper than a new bb.
Primarily, because the battery sticker is not initial and primary indicator of moisture or water damage. The sticker on the body of the BB itself is.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #30
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHawk3 View Post
*sigh

Not one of these.

Dig this. Say you got a nice Sony LCD screen you bought a few months ago. One day, the speakers short out and stop working. You get mad and chuck your remote at the TV, breaking TV screen. You then call sony telling them to fix your TV cause the speakers went out, but you also cracked the screen.

Don't expect them to fix it. Even though one would qualify for "warranty" while the other does (whether you caused it or not), yes they aren't related, but that one action voids it. You can't expect to send in the TV and just have them fix the speakers and send it back. They aren't going to waste time and money. They ain't gonna fix something that's still going to be broke.

I'm not pointing fingers or acusing you of your actions, I just hope you get the point I was trying to make. Even if the problems are totally un-related, you still have to go within the guidlines to make your warranty valid.

I'm giving my insight after working at a spring/nextel repair center for 3 years.

But yes, I agree with you guys, indicator does not mean it was dropped in liquid. All it means is the indicator was exposed you liquid, either you dropped it in the pool, someone spilled their drink over the area, or you with a wet finger for shits and giggles touched the indicator. Either one would void it, but its there rules. No liquid exposure to the device! Means keep it dry, keep it away from anything wet, including hands.

Its like washing your hands, not drying them off completely and going to plug in your appliance and getting electricuted. There all electronics. I'm sure you wouldn't do that, so do try that with your phone. Keep them dry. People are just too rough and careless with their phones these days.
Respectfully disagree.....

If the device fails due to an issue NOT related to 'water damage' then they should honor the warranty..... For instance...... The '3' key goes bad on you and the water sonsor is tripped but it is determined it's manufacturer defect...... The 'water sensor' can be tripped by a very small amount of moisture.. In your pocket on a humid day for instance....

It's an easy way out for them....

Last edited by LunkHead; 05-11-2008 at 04:00 PM..
Old 05-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #31
cyberhound

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t, less bars in less places

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Primarily, because the battery sticker is not initial and primary indicator of moisture or water damage. The sticker on the body of the BB itself is.

Hence why I said IF ONLY THE BATTERY INDICATOR WAS TRIPPED. If the other sticker isn't, buy a repalacement battery and then see if you can get a new berry. Someone might trip the battery indicator with moist fingers while pulling it for one reason or another, but not necessarily trip the other indicators.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #32
justajason
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I aggree with Cyber, my batteries moisture indicator was "tripped" as soon as I took it out of the box.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #33
norbertk

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Laptop, Desktop, Tablet PC and PDA/Smartphone insurance from Safeware Insurance Agency, Inc.

Cheap and protects you against anything.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #34
vZwire
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: Blue, Ball point
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Funny this thread should pop up as I had problems with my wife's Razor and both my kids Sync's this weekend. Both show as they have water damage and I know for a fact that non of them have been anywhere near water. ..
I love it!!!! A parent who knows that their childrens' phones have not been anywhere near water....How funny is that!!!???

Let me guess- You asked them, and they said no, and you believed them???

What did you expect? "Yeah Dad, I got it wet. It's all my fault. Sorry bout your financial loss."
Give me a break.

I wish someone would create ignorance indicators, and the govt. mandate that everyone stick it to their foreheads. Wouldn't it be easier to filter out all of the daily idiots? There- that was my rant!!! (all in humor of course!)

Last edited by vZwire; 06-02-2008 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: .
Old 06-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #35
vZwire
Thumbs Must Hurt

....Sorry bout the double post
Old 06-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #36
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

[QUOTE=vZwire;953691]
Quote:
Funny this thread should pop up as I had problems with my wife's Razor and both my kids Sync's this weekend. Both show as they have water damage and I know for a fact that non of them have been anywhere near water. QUOTE]

I love it!!!! A parent who knows that their childrens' phones have not been anywhere near water....How funny is that!!!???

Let me guess- You asked them, and they said no, and you believed them???

What did you expect? "Yeah Dad, I got it wet. It's all my fault. Sorry bout your financial loss."
Give me a break.

I wish someone would create ignorance indicators, and the govt. mandate that everyone stick it to their foreheads. Wouldn't it be easier to filter out all of the daily idiots? There- that was my rant!!! (all in humor of course!)
And you waited 4 months to flame someone

So I will use your own saying against you

I wish someone would create ignorance indicators, and the govt. mandate that everyone stick it to their foreheads. Wouldn't it be easier to filter out all of the daily idiots?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #37
vZwire
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK, Ok, so I've been gone for a while, and felt spunky. Like I said, It was all in fun, I swear. Now go away before I send a tiger for you!
Closed Thread