BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Should RIM give the user more control over their systems such as an adv task manager?
Yes 6 37.50%
No 10 62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #21
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

u r rite.
c, its ezy to find stuf here.

There is no device that fits your needs (or in your pocket).
Old 04-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #22
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSamfield View Post
and i didn't misspell anything....and i typed in slang and without correct punctuation because this is an informal forum...i guess i should adhere to my normal ways of writing because i take serious offense to that remark considering how i feel about poor grammar and spelling on the Internet....
Hi pot, I'm kettle.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #23
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 3053D7B3

~Exactly the same size as a mobile phone like the BlackBerry Storm.

~Capabilities of the BlackBerry Storm without the bugs and non-configurable details.

~Multi-Core microprocessor, but the Storm already has that.

~Multi-tasking, but the Storm already has that.

~Actually, I do not like open source software because it is buggy. The design of most open source projects lacks the centralized and top down approach to building software.

~Numerous useful applications and popularity so that many developers create BlackBerry applications for the Storm that utilize it's amazing capabilities and big screen and SurePress technology.

~An app store for a fluid and standardized way to evaluate third party applications and disseminate a ratings system for the usefulness of such apps just like what BlackBerry did on March 31st with the release of their World App Store.

~Designing the phone to utilize the 1 GB onboard device memory for applications instead of just wasting it since everyone is going to store their media files on their external microSDHC cards.

~Implementing a task manager that can show the CPU percentage usage and more detailed information about the services and processes running so that rogue processes and underlying background and foreground services can be better monitored and controlled by the user when troubleshooting problems such as memory leaks, CPU hogging, and bloatware from poorly designed and tested software.

~Feature request: Allow the SureType keyboard to be available in landscape mode and portrait mode because my fingers are not small enough to accurately press the individual QWERTY keys on the QWERTY keyboard in landscape mode nor can they accurately press the individual keys on any phone that doesn't have larger buttons. This is actually a strong HCI (Human Computer Interaction) requirement for all devices that has been largely ignored in recent times for creating devices that are less ergonomic because of their size yet retention of functionality.

~A way to alter the paradigm of "restarting a computer" or "rebooting" without impairing the system's performance over a lengthy period of continuing system execution. Basically, system complexity phenomenons arise when complex systems are run for a lengthy amount of time relinquishing the stability of such a system because while designed with some deterministic functionality, phenomenons arise out of the non-deterministic aspect of complex systems creating anomalies that are not caught without significant testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
That doesn't meet the stability requirements

From what I've read (or tried to read), he has the following requirements.

. smaller than a laptop, but with the same capabilities
. best pieces of Symbian (but faster), Windows Mobile (more stable), iPhone (with multi tasking) and Palm OS (RIP)
. can't be too big or too small. Just Right.
. likely Linux based so that "more technical users" can reverse engineer it (and hack, like Palm OS)

I'm sure there are more requirements.

Last edited by JasonSamfield; 04-04-2009 at 12:06 PM..
Old 04-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #24
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
it's gotta fit in my pocket
A netbook will fit in the pocket of a pair of Jnco jeans.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #25
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Thank you for articulating your requirements.

Perhaps you can design and build your own.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #26
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
u r rite.
c, its ezy to find stuf here.

I just realized why none of you understand the situation nor seem to care about my extraneous concerns regarding the abilities of the Storm. All, but two, maybe one, of you are using a device other than the BlackBerry Storm 9530 or 9500 series.

And thanks for the sarcasm, I appreciate the humbling reciprocity.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #27
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

I do not have the resources to design, implement, test and distribute and produce my own device, so I am limited by my consumer choice and any feedback that I can give to whoever can use it to build a better device.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #28
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
A netbook will fit in the pocket of a pair of Jnco jeans.
Looking for a real solution that exists already or the nearest solution.

Also, it has to work on the cellular networks. Do netbooks work in this manner?
Old 04-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #29
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Thank you for articulating your requirements.

Perhaps you can design and build your own.
Actually, the BlackBerry Storm does meet these requirements minus a select few which is what I'm advocating that either RIM or a third party application create to access and harness the API for BlackBerry's OS to take charge of the processes running on the system to give the user better control. I wrote those requirements purposely to show that the BlackBerry Storm is the correct device.

The iPhone is not because it does not support simultaneous application execution.

A netbook has no phone device and is much larger than desired.

A laptop is way too large and not necessary because smart phones exist and my desktop is my primary computer that I will always choose over any type of laptop.

HTC, Android, Symbian, and Windows Mobile devices do not have SureType or SurePress technology.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #30
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
actually i am quite mistaken...the BlackBerry Storm IS a multicore computer...

very intersting...

and to clarify about the definition of it being a computer is that it is a general purpose computing machine that has some specific computing components....it does not have expandable hardware options minus the secondary storage media expansions, but everything else about the operating system is general purpose and as long as the applications are sanctioned by RIM's API, then they are doable...
my 50 inch plasma tv runs linux, why cant i ssh to the tv and do a ps command for running commands? my linksys router has 2 os running at the same time and syncin why cant i login as root to a console to it?
the same can be said about my dish network receiver its a computer, it capures and deciphers packets why cant i get a list of running apps?

the key answer is, these devices like your blackberry run a redefined set functions while some are user accessible others are not. which define the device.
heck an atm machine runs windows 3.1 why do we not see a task manager on that?

unfortunately for you the device is probably not for you or your liking. you can only close running programs, and i dont remember the buttons on a storm you press to get the list to close them, thats the only task manager you have. like in other systems some features are locked out.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #31
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
PIN: Pulled - 1, 2, 3 run!
Carrier: AT&T

I am really enjoying this thread.

I appreciate the intellect, knowledge and experience the OP possesses as well as most of the responses. I also understand that the OP "wants" the BB to be something it is not as of this date and I am sure their are valid reasons the features he wants is not included in the OS.

Be it consumer end cost increase to include additional features, program size, compatibility problems, etc.

The abilities and function of the mobile phone have drastically changed in the last several years and I fully anticipate in a few more years these phones will dam near be the full equivalent of a laptop.

I know that did not answer any of the OP's questions but since this thread has kind of turned into a debate - I just figured I would throw my 2 cents and reiterate that I am truly enjoying reading this thread.

David

Twitter
Old 04-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #32
wabbit

well some devices are built like junk, take the iphone, its not hard to jail break it get a console on the phone and break what ever you feel like, unlike ijunk, most phones are designed to keep people from this.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #33
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Looking for a real solution that exists already or the nearest solution.

Also, it has to work on the cellular networks. Do netbooks work in this manner?
Yes, as a matter of fact they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
well some devices are built like junk, take the iphone, its not hard to jail break it get a console on the phone and break what ever you feel like, unlike ijunk, most phones are designed to keep people from this.
What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #34
wabbit

Quote:

What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?
made them switch to coco.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #35
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
made them switch to coco.
Verdad.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #36
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Jason - I *had* a 9530 and could not stand it. So it sits, along with many other devices that don't work for me in the big box under my desk. It's right next to my Bold and 8220 Flip. They didn't work for me.

I wanted to like it, just like I wanted to like the iPhone. The iPhone doesn't sit under my desk. It makes a dandy iPod Touch.

The 8900 Javelin/Curve suits my purposes very nicely. I hope that one day you will find a device that works for you. Rather than obsess or get stressed about it, I moved on. Again, that works for me.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #37
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
my 50 inch plasma tv runs linux, why cant i ssh to the tv and do a ps command for running commands? my linksys router has 2 os running at the same time and syncin why cant i login as root to a console to it?
the same can be said about my dish network receiver its a computer, it capures and deciphers packets why cant i get a list of running apps?
if it's running linux, you can do that actually

what OSes (plural of OS? i don't know...haha) is your linksys router running? they are probably not very high level operating systems....the BlackBerry 4.7 OS is a very high level OS comparable to most other mobile operating systems and really comparable to many desktop operating systems such as Vista and OS X....it's just limiting some features for space and features for performance because of the hardware limitations...the BB OS can be run as a VM on a Vista machine and this is actually how most app developers work to develop apps for it....

so yes it is a decent operating system...but my point which seems to have been missed is that a very good feature in an operating system is the ability to control the processes running....too many background and automatic services and processes run in complex systems that install or get installed without your knowledge and therefore at certain times can run your system to the ground or drain precious CPU and memory resources...i want to limit that activity and or turn it off completely...but how can i debug the problem if that feature was excluded...

and the feature had to be included originally for the creators of the OS to develop the OS...so why did they exclude it from the release candidate for the phone? well, probably because the OS was made for all the blackberries that it supports and so that limits the processor speeds and cores and memory...so they scaled down the OS tons...although the Storm has the hardware to support it (minus their weird snippet to store the apps in a 12.5% section of the 1 GB onboard memory)...maybe they will stop supporting the older phones and move the OS into a 4.8 or version 5.0+ that will bloat it some, but include and support the features that are necessary for it to be a competitive mobile OS in this new generation of smart phones

Quote:
the key answer is, these devices like your blackberry run a redefined set functions while some are user accessible others are not. which define the device.
heck an atm machine runs windows 3.1 why do we not see a task manager on that?
yeah, it's got a set of predefined functions, but so does Vista...the BlackBerry is only different because it is not built to support hardware upgrades and expansions and is purpose built for a specific type of microprocessor and other hardware constraints...and it's primary focus was to save and maximize energy for memory operations and CPU execution so people do not get scared of the small amount of talk time since the OS was designed for a mobile phone first, then computer second...the atm has that capability if it's running windows 3.1 or whatever, but it's not enabled for the user....for security reasons....but on your own personal device it should be enabled for power users...i see no reason why not...jail breaking a phone? that can be done by looking at the assembly code which can be downloaded already, so it doesn't make a difference per se...

first there were phones that used embedded systems, then more features were added...then came third party software and expansions on the OS...it's these latest features which have introduced the general purpose computing that is familiar to us as a desktop or laptop computer...but a smart phone is gradually reaching that level...i think they should have just reached a little higher on this phone to make it off the hook and blow away the competition instead of settling for semi-better than mediocre...

Quote:
unfortunately for you the device is probably not for you or your liking. you can only close running programs, and i dont remember the buttons on a storm you press to get the list to close them, thats the only task manager you have. like in other systems some features are locked out.
hold the blackberry button and then the app list pops up....but those are applications only and it does not let you force an application to shutdown if it is misbehaving which can easily happen in any system whether it be an OS X mac, Vista, BB OS, Symbian...anything...also, many "applications" have multiple processes running....some are background and some are foreground...and so on...that is the hidden level of the OS that is befuddling me because those layers are misbehaving also and i cannot find out which or control which ones are acting up or find out why...memory leaks? infinite loops? database corruption? and on top of that...there are many services that are running that are in the background that i cannot control or turn off...these are checking for messages for various apps and wireless upgrades and all kinds of stuff that i'd rather run when i have the time to give up CPU time rather than when i want to make a phone call...
Old 04-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #38
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
netbooks are not phones...they are internet devices soley unless you run a program that turns it into a phone, but the physical design of a netbook was not to act as a phone that you put to your ear...

i want a phone that i put to my ear that also have the internet and app capability that the storm has...i just want it to have better control of the bugs, memory leaks, and interprocess communication that is making it hard to use
Old 04-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #39
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Jason - I *had* a 9530 and could not stand it. So it sits, along with many other devices that don't work for me in the big box under my desk. It's right next to my Bold and 8220 Flip. They didn't work for me.

I wanted to like it, just like I wanted to like the iPhone. The iPhone doesn't sit under my desk. It makes a dandy iPod Touch.

The 8900 Javelin/Curve suits my purposes very nicely. I hope that one day you will find a device that works for you. Rather than obsess or get stressed about it, I moved on. Again, that works for me.
intersting...the plot thickens

i'm curious to find out why the storm and the iphone did not work for you? what was the defining moment or synergistic event that caused you to revert to an older model phone? the touch screen interface?

just an idea, but BlackBerry is coming out with a hybrid touchscreen phone soon ( http://www.cnbc.com/id/30013378 )
Old 04-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #40
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
the Blackberry is less restricting than the iPhone as far as apps and media storage...the apps on an iPhone are restricted through apple's policies and approval and any third party apps not approved by apple void warranties and so on...

Blackberry has actually been the Microsoft of mobile computing for a while now with their less centralized app development and control over the third party apps

for example, the iPhone got it's first office application back in september...the Blackberry has had office apps for a much longer time...blackberry is ahead of the curve in most respects

Last edited by JasonSamfield; 04-04-2009 at 05:54 PM..
Closed Thread