Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
Richmaur

Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Virgin
Default Delay of Transmission of Emails to BB

Please Login to Remove!

I have a 3G 9300 which I bought primarliy to send/recieve emails on the move. I am self employed and work a lot at home. At home my email client is MS Outlook running on my PC. My BB is switched on at home because of phone calls.

My service provider is Virgin (mobile and internet) and my email is POP3.

Now I get all my emails twice which is very irritating. When my PC is on, Outlook is set to download my emails every few minutes and clears the server every time. However, the forwarding of emails to my BB is very rapid (near instantaneous I suspect) so I get duplicated emails anyway. Even if my BB is switch off I stiil get duplicted emails when I switch it on.

Can anything be done about this? What I would like ideally is:-

- PC ON > emails not sent to BB

- PC OFF > emails sent to BB and available for collection on PC later

What I need in principle is a delay so that Outlook can clear the server before the BB downloads them. I have no access to a BES.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Delay of Transmission of Emails to BB

Not much you can do as that is how the BB is designed to work. You could turn off all data services and that would stop all data flowing to or from the device.

RIM polls your ISP's servers every 15 minutes. If it finds mail, that is pushed to the device and RIM will repoll in 2 to 3 minutes, If mail is found, that is sent to the BB and the repoll occurs every 2 to 3 minutes until nothing is found. At which time, RIM will revert to the 15 minute poll and start all over.

Have you confirmed that email is removed from the server as it is downloaded to your PC email client? From the sounds of your post, it might not be.

If you are getting near instantaneous email delivery, one of 2 things is going on:

1. Your ISP has an agreement with RIM for that. Since you did not mention your ISP, it is difficult to comment further.
2. You are forwarding your mail to the carrier supplied blackberry,net account. If you are doing this, keep in mind that is not a recommended way to do it. If that address gets "harvested" you will get more SPAM than you care to see as it is totally unfiltered and the only way to read email to that account is on the BB itself. In the event of a data/RIM outage you may have no access to email at all.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 11-06-2011 at 08:45 AM..
Old 11-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Richmaur

Thanks Dubdub. My ISP is Virgin Media.
I can confirm that my emails are not on the server once download by Outlook. I did this by attempting to view my emails using Virgin Webmail. When Outlook is running my Webmail inbox is empty.
I can also confirm that the email transfer to my BB is near instantaneous. I sent myself an email (to my virgin address) from a different email address and my BB received the email in just a few seconds. I repeated this several times to make sure that I hadn't simply sent the email just before RIM polls the Virgin server. It took just a few seconds every time.
I am not using forwarding. In fact I haven't even set up a BB email address.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

If you have not set up an email address, how is your email sent to the BB? What account is it hitting? You must be using an email address as it won't magically appear.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 11-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmaur View Post
What I need in principle is a delay so that Outlook can clear the server before the BB downloads them.
That's not possible with BIS.
You have no control over the polling interval.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:35 AM   #6
Richmaur

I have set up a Virgin email address, not a Blackberry one. My BB 9300 and my PC use the same Virgin address.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmaur View Post
I have set up a Virgin email address, not a Blackberry one. My BB 9300 and my PC use the same Virgin address.
Doesn't matter. You're still using BIS, and you can't do what you're looking to do.
Closed Thread