BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
brh986
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Thumbs down T-Mobile "unlimited" data plan... what a scam...

Please Login to Remove!

I just checked my bill and I see for using the built ICQ and MSN programs that came with my blackberry they are deducted SMS messages from measley 300 alottment. Why? Not only that but it looks as though they charged me $7.80 of international ussage as well.

If an instant messaging program doesn't use data than what does? What can I get away with using that will only US data nad not eat SMS which in turn seems to trigger unbelievable rip off international charges in addition to regular SMS charges.

What can I actually do besides read email that will only US data? I already have found VOIP seems to be out of the question.

Is there another messaging program to download that will use data like it should and not sms?

I have a bunch of these on my bill:

Date Destination Time Number Call Type Minutes
7/16/07 INTERNATIONAL 5:35 PM 206-313-0004 (I) 0

And these too

Date Destination Time Number Messages
7/16/07 INCOMING 7:59 AM 4706 1
7/16/07 MSN Message 7:59 AM 4706 1
7/16/07 I C Q Message 7:55 AM 4676 1

They eat up my text messages.

And then there's this:
Category Units Amount
Calls to Directory Assistance, International Calls, Toll Calls, Roaming and/or additional minutes/messages $7.80

Totally non-specified vague bs charges.

What a scam....
Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
BBGregPearl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint

Why don't you give CS a call and talk to them and see why they gave you these charges and see if they would remove them from this months bill.

Now with the new and improved 8530.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Yes, the built in chat programs on the BlackBerry will use SMS messages. There are some free chat programs that will use the data plan, but I recommend JiveTalk from BeeJive. It uses the data, and therefore the messages will get to the receipient faster, too. For $20 you can get a one-device license, or for $30 you can get a lifetime license. Since I am a heavy messager I got the lifetime license, since the BlackBerry I own now won't be the only one I have.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

all carrier IM programs deduct from SMS thats pretty much common knowledge in the Cell phone world.

You can use Jive talk or other aftermarket IM programs and they use data.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

brh, all that is a matter of knowing what you got before you use it. I am sorry you are stuck with the charges, but many of the IM programs use SMS, not data.

JiveTalk is one that uses data (and a darn good one). I saw another advertised today over in the Aftermarket Software section here that SAID it uses data.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...aol-yahoo.html

I don't know about your international charges, you will need to find out TMo what those are.

It's not a scam. The SMS charges are legitimate, just find out about your software before loading it to the your BB.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #6
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I would not call the T-Mo data plan a SCAM.... It's hands down the best of any carrier... 19 a month for UNLIMITED data....

Lack of knowledge about charges does not make the data plan a scam.... There are several chat applications that use data and some use SMS.... Check the application before using to see what it uses (SMS or DATA)....

Call customer service and see what they say... Chances are they might bump to the unlimited SMS plan...

The other charges are probably 411 information calls... I would not call that a scam either....

Bottom line..... Read the contract and see what the charges are BEFORE agreeing to the contract....

Best of luck!

Kris
Old 07-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

This belongs in the rant section.

And like the others said, you did not understand the charges and how things worked. That's not T-Mo's fault. Customer ignorance does not convert T-Mo into scammers.

Search BBF and find my thread on how to talk to T-Mo customer service. If you call them in an angered tone and start calling them scammers, they will tell you to take a hike.

T-Mo is known for taking off charges on a first month's bill when the customer misunderstood things. One person who used my technique had $600 in text messages taken off the bill.

It all depends on how you approach them. Talk to them like you did in this thread, you won't get anywhere.

Good luck.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

**moved to Rants and Raves section **
Old 07-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91

Quote:
Originally Posted by brh986 View Post
I just checked my bill and I see for using the built ICQ and MSN programs that came with my blackberry they are deducted SMS messages from measley 300 alottment. Why? Not only that but it looks as though they charged me $7.80 of international ussage as well.

If an instant messaging program doesn't use data than what does? What can I get away with using that will only US data nad not eat SMS which in turn seems to trigger unbelievable rip off international charges in addition to regular SMS charges.

What can I actually do besides read email that will only US data? I already have found VOIP seems to be out of the question.

Is there another messaging program to download that will use data like it should and not sms?

I have a bunch of these on my bill:

Date Destination Time Number Call Type Minutes
7/16/07 INTERNATIONAL 5:35 PM 206-313-0004 (I) 0

And these too

Date Destination Time Number Messages
7/16/07 INCOMING 7:59 AM 4706 1
7/16/07 MSN Message 7:59 AM 4706 1
7/16/07 I C Q Message 7:55 AM 4676 1

They eat up my text messages.

And then there's this:
Category Units Amount
Calls to Directory Assistance, International Calls, Toll Calls, Roaming and/or additional minutes/messages $7.80

Totally non-specified vague bs charges.

What a scam....

sorry dude, but you need to chill a bit.

first: t-mobile's data plan is the best deal out there for data ($20/month)

second: it is not t-mobile's fault you didn't know the AIM/MSN/Yahoo program uses SMS...every carrier has the same exact policy. that's how they make money. verizon, sprint, everyone...they all do the same...

third: the misc charges could be a mistake and that is something to bring up with t-mobile.

fourth: be a responsible customer....read your terms of service, ask smart questions, track your usage via My T-Mobile Account, etc. be smart about things
Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #10
No Longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco View Post
This belongs in the rant section.

And like the others said, you did not understand the charges and how things worked. That's not T-Mo's fault. Customer ignorance does not convert T-Mo into scammers.

Search BBF and find my thread on how to talk to T-Mo customer service. If you call them in an angered tone and start calling them scammers, they will tell you to take a hike.

T-Mo is known for taking off charges on a first month's bill when the customer misunderstood things. One person who used my technique had $600 in text messages taken off the bill.

It all depends on how you approach them. Talk to them like you did in this thread, you won't get anywhere.

Good luck.
I totally agree with SanFran , a cool head goes a long way when disputing a bill.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #11
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

(unrelated but related)

I got an email from the T-Mo data people, I had made a formal complaint about service and service issues where I live about 6 months ago. Not only did they upgrade software in the tower near me and do some "other stuff" (I'll never know what), but the email asked me to check it out and let them know what I thought.

Quote:
Sincerely,
Dave Mayo
Vice President, T-Mobile Engineering
Old 07-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #12
BBGregPearl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesecatt View Post
I totally agree with SanFran , a cool head goes a long way when disputing a bill.
It goes a very long way especially when it comes to your money going down the drain.

Now with the new and improved 8530.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #13
avi44x

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A

I was also unaware that the IM program that came with my BB used SMS and ran up a bill of over $250, I talked to the rep and she upgraded me to the unlimited SMS and removed the $250 charge which was cool (oh and I was nice and kept a cool head when talking to her).

But the SMS IM sucks so just recently upgraded to Bee Jive and it's the best I've ever seen: it's faster, messages actually go through, and it uses my data plan. Best IM program I've seen.
Closed Thread