Old 11-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Storm1 typing vs Storm2 == About the same

Please Login to Remove!

I'm on my 3rd Storm1. I got my first one 11 months ago. I got my current one about a month ago. This latest one has the best feeling screen of all the Storms I've had. It's like they finally figured out how to adjust those Torx screws under the battery cover during the refurb process to make the screen click right. The screen clicks nicely everywhere. I can only tell the very *slightest* of difference between clicking in the center and clicking in one of the corners. 3 of the corners, I can't tell any difference between them and clicking in the center.

Also, I upgraded my current phone to OS 5.0.0.328 as soon as it came out.

So, last night, I stopped in at the Verizon store and played with a Storm2 for the first time. I typed on it a fair bit and in the end, concluded that it wasn't really any better than typing on my current Storm. The accuracy was definitely just the same. In fact, I don't see how anybody can say one is "more accurate" than the other. It's the same size. The keys on the keyboard are the same size. How can one be more accurate than the other?

It didn't seem any faster, either. As far as I can tell, the Storm1 with OS 5.0.0.328 is virtually identical in performance and behavior as the Storm2 with OS 5.0.0.320. The only differences being the Storm2 has WiFi, and, on the Storm2, you can click the Shift key, hold it down, and click letters to get capital letters, and then release the Shift key to be back in lowercase mode.
Verizon 9550
Old 11-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask

StuartV,

I am somewhat in agreement with you. I finally played with a Storm 2 last night while out with a friend who had one. Although the touchscreen experience is slightly different, I saw no mindblowing improvement in the keyboard functioning. IMO it performed exactly the same as the Storm 1 keyboard. However the phone is faster and it is noticeable when you hold the two models side by side and compare transitioning speeds. It would not be noticeable unless you examined the comparison. The manner in which the phone operated when I manipulated it gave the feeling of a bit more stability. But this impression was inspired via the handling my first gen Storm for close to a year. IMO the Storm 2 in not light years ahead of its predecessor but its still a welcome and visually appealing upgrade.

RIM really did the first gen Storm owners a favor with .328. This upgrade and my experience with handling the Storm 2 definitely assured I will be waiting for my upgrade date rather than paying full price for the Storm 2.

FYI - if you want to capitalize a particular letter you can simply press the key and hold for a second and the letter will become capitalized without pressing the shift key first. It's how I always capitalize letters mid sentence.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 11-04-2009 at 11:09 AM..
Old 11-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
StuartV

I know that (about capitalizing). But, it's a PITA if you're typing multiple in a row. Or if you're typing a phone number or a time, where you are constantly pressing the Num key or Sym key to change back and forth. That is definitely a prop I'll give to the S2, the ability to do those things with less keyclicks.

Otherwise, regarding speed, how can the S2 be faster? It's the same CPU, right, clocked the same, running, essentially, the same OS.

Load all the same apps on both, with all the same apps running (but few enough that the difference in amount of RAM doesn't affect the test), then try it and tell me if the S2 is faster.
Verizon 9550
Old 11-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
MushroomStamp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

It's faster because it has multi touch. you actually start pressing one key before you have let off the other. This might seem small to you .. but it is a HUGE improvement over "Click.. lift.. click ... lift"
Old 11-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
dawiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 31394XXX

I will also add that the overall device performance is enhanced, and this is obvious in the rotation speed...this may be as a result of the added 128 MB flash...
Old 11-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

How can it be faster? I would surmise that more random access memory is the primary factor. It would be the same as adding more RAM one of two same computer models and sitting them side by side. The computer with more RAM would outperform the other with less, despite having the same processors.

Hold the Storm and Storm 2 side by side and there will be no question. The Storm 2 is unquestionably faster and has a more stable feel with regard to its OS functioning. It transitions well and I really dig the new look, namely screen design.

I will again state IMO that its not worlds ahead of the first gen. If it were I would plink down the cash and buy one before my contract upgrade date. But 5.0 has brought the first gen model up to par. The Storm 2 still crosses the finish line first but not by many lengths.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 11-05-2009 at 11:36 AM..
Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
BruceDBR
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I agree with XelhaBB. I was not expecting the S2 to be faster. i was considering the upgrade primarily due to the difference in the screen. But when I went to play with it in my Verizon store, I was surprised at how much faster the unit it. I agree it is the same processor, but it is because of the additional RAM that it is faster. It is just like having 2 computers with the same processor but one with limited RAM, and the other one has more. The more RAM PC will of course be faster.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
StuartV

So, if I upgrade my laptop from 8 GB of RAM to 16 GB, it will be faster?? Sweet!!

Not.

Extra RAM does not automatically make a computer (which a BB is) faster. It *can*, if you're essentially using all you've got. And I have acknowledged that numerous times. But, I only have 10 or 12 apps installed on my S1 and it generally seems to have plenty of free memory. And I didn't notice the S2 being any faster....
Verizon 9550
Old 11-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
MushroomStamp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

I was sticking with the Topic, which is "TYPING SPEED". The multi-touch makes a HUGE improvement. I disliked typing on the S1. With the multi-touch improvements, it really improved my accuracy and speed.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
So, if I upgrade my laptop from 8 GB of RAM to 16 GB, it will be faster?? Sweet!!

Not.

Extra RAM does not automatically make a computer (which a BB is) faster. It *can*, if you're essentially using all you've got. And I have acknowledged that numerous times. But, I only have 10 or 12 apps installed on my S1 and it generally seems to have plenty of free memory. And I didn't notice the S2 being any faster....
Stuart,

unfortunately you are wholly incorrect. If you doubled your computer's RAM (random access memory) there would be an immediate and noticeable increase in speed of operation. The RAM, or random access memory, in your computer is equally as important as the speed of your processor and the size of your hard drive.

Simply put, any running programs are stored in RAM. When all available RAM is utilized, the overflow is stored in a swap buffer on the hard drive, which is much slower. When RAM space is increased, the device has more space to store the active programs which avoids utilization of swap. More RAM = faster operation. The only reason RAM size is increased is to increase the speed of a computer and its ability to run multiple programs / memory hog programs.

Google it if you still feel different...

Verizon 9530
Old 11-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
StuartV

Actually, XelhaBB, *you* are wholly incorrect. And I don't need to Google it. I have been both building PCs from pieces parts and developing software to run on them professionally for over 25 years now. I am well-qualified to speak on the subject of application memory management in a Windows environment.

As I said before, extra RAM would only help if you don't have "enough". My example was my current laptop. I have 8 GB of RAM in it. When I am not running any VMs, the ordinary applications I do run (Office apps, Internet browser, etc.) don't come remotely close to using all 8 GB of RAM that I have. They actually normally use well under 2 GB. So, doubling the available RAM to 16 GB would not make my computer run ANY faster. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Thanks for playing, but please leave the technical stuff to the professionals...
Verizon 9550
Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

StuartV,

I concede to the point that there is a ceiling for RAM being effective with regard to increasing speed. Since you build computers, as I as did until I ditched PC's in favor of the superior MAC, surely you are aware the cheapest way to increase PC speed is the addition of RAM. However, you are correct in that once you accomodate the maximum need, any increase beyond that would not increase speed.

However, with regard to the Storm there is still a need for more RAM being that most BB users run multiple applications in addition to what normally runs. Because the Storm 2 is faster and more stable, this can be attributed to the increase in RAM. The processor speed may be the same yet there was a need for more RAM in the Storm. It is axiomatic, and why RIM designed additional onboard RAM into the Storm 2.

The Storm 2 runs faster, plain and simple. Hold them side beside, see it and judge for yourself.

Nuff said...LOL

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 11-06-2009 at 11:03 AM..
Old 11-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #13
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Additionally, check the links below. Visuals may help the "professionals"....

YouTube - Blackberry Storm 2 Video - New

YouTube - Blackberry Storm 2 Vs. BlackBerry Storm 1

YouTube - Verizon BlackBerry Storm 2/9550

Pretty much makes my point. A little better, nothing too drastic. But the Storm 2 faster in most aspects. For example, in the third video see how the Storm 2 screams through transitioning through the applications. WOW! This proves my point unequivocally. Although the new OS does make the first gen competitive, its still not up to par with the Storm 2.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 11-06-2009 at 11:16 AM..
Closed Thread