BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 05:17 AM   #101
harsaphes
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmobil

Please Login to Remove!

yesterday after a reboot, my phone would not find the network. This lasted about 3 hours until i removed and put back the battery.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #102
popslapwap

Model: 7100t
Default fact: all our company's 7100t's reboot

all our Blackberry 7100t's in use at our company, which now number about 8, reboot during a call. We have almost 50 of the 7230 model in service with no problem. We all have OS 4 and BES 3.x. Us early adopters of the new device sure paid a heavy price.

As such I've recently uninstalled the IM client and we'll see what happens. Wasn't using anyway. We don't push out the IM client via the BES so I hope this will fix it.

The behavior of these phones is appaling. RIM or whomever is responsbile for the rebooting is risking huge liablity should a person miss or somehow be disconnected from, say, a 911 call. I'm sure the poll results would change considerably if someone lost a loved one because they could not call 911 for help.

I'm not a lawyer but it seems likely that it would be pretty easy to persuade a jury that when you buy a phone, it shouldn't spontaneously "restart." The code that runs phones should be tested as rigorously as airplane systems. People's lives are at stake since EMTs and COPs use Blackberries.

I see many on this forum standing by their BB's and we all do love them, but although the first cars in the 1900's broke down often, that didn't stop the concept, but it did slow it a bit.

You can be sure that when the next BB phone comes out, we will be VERY SLOW ADOPTERS of such new products. This experience has "microsofted" us and has given us very little reason to trust the software and devices.

Shame on you, whomever caused this, and even more shame on you, whomever is not doing enough to solve it. The next RIM person that tells me it's the battery, which is absolutely NOT the problem, unless the entire production run of batteries that we ended up with are flawed, is going to eat it.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #103
epinaud

Thumbs down Happens without IM

I have had the reboot problem a few times. After reading this thread I uninstalled the IM client yesterday - then, today during a short phone call the device spontaneously rebooted on me...so I guess the removal of the IM app is not the solution for everyone...
Old 05-12-2005, 03:53 PM   #104
wangta01
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by popslapwap
The next RIM person that tells me it's the battery, which is absolutely NOT the problem, unless the entire production run of batteries that we ended up with are flawed, is going to eat it.
LOL, I sense the frusteration. I have it too.

My phone has consistently hourglassed on me atleast once every two days over its history. Its become so bad that I have to carry around two devices, my 7100 for email and a phone for conference calls while on the road. I wasn't that worried about it until a couple weeks ago when I was disconnected on a very important call with a client, and couldn't call them back for a good 5 minutes because my phone was doing the hourglass thing. How can you explain that to a client? Client and my boss were pretty pissed off and I got yelled at. Thanks blackberry - good looking out.

I have been to T-mobile a couple times since then, called customer service a couple times and done the following: replaced battery twice, reloaded applications 10 or more times, removed IM client multiple times, pulled battery everymorning. Yesterday I called Tmobile and they told me that by reloading my apps (again) that it would fix the problem. So, I am sitting here today and have yet to make a phone call but am highly doubting that anything will be different. My company allows us to pick our own providers and phones and reimburses us, but will force me to either 1) replace the phone with the customary blue one everyone else has (and doesn't have problems) or 2) switch providers and get a new one - they do not want me to use this model anymore.

Do you think tmobile will switch my 7100 for another version? If not, I'll have to cancel the service on the spot (my company will pay for the early termination fee) and get cingular/at&t or verizon. What a pain in the a$$.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #105
kshirsagarmahesh

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon
Thumbs down Its not IM client neither BES.. its blackberry problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtjlamb
I think its a data deal. It seems that if you block the IM client from your BES server, the reboots seem to subside. I have helped a few companies set up a block policy at the BES and that has stopped the reboots. So it seems that It may not be an issue with the IM client, but an issue with the IM data.....
1. ITs not a IM client problem: Because removing IM does not help
2. It is not BES problem. I do not have data plan (only phone) and I experience this problem often.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:28 PM   #106
NewBerry05

Model: 7100T

This is awfully discouraging. I am really enjoying the integration, form factor etc. I was SO happy to have a fully function "smart phone" that's stylus-free and MICROSOFT-free. I'm only on day three and really enjoying the feature set.

I have yet to experience the dreaded reset problem but it sounds to me like it's inevitable.

I HAVE experienced the poor sound quality problem once or twice but usually it's quite good. I wonder if it's a TMo thing. I can live with this if MOST of my calls are good quality.

I *am* experiencing the low-volume on Bluetooth issue, which is extremely frustrating. I have a Logitech Mobile Freedom but I am about to try out a Scala 500.

What's really sad is... this device could have been a grand slam. Had they tested their software extensivley as popslapwap suggested, and dealt with the Bluetooth volume, this device would be awesome.

Had they also been smart enough to include voice dialing and FULL Bluetooth functionality, this device would have been unbeatable.

SIGH... gonna be an interesting few days as I like the features more and more but get frustrated more and more by the issues. Maybe I'll stick it out... don't know yet.

Does anyone have connections to get RIM to read this whole thread? I saw there was one poster that kinda seemed like he might from RIM but it wasnt quite clear.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:54 PM   #107
kshirsagarmahesh

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon
Angry RETURN 7100t if you can

IF YOU HAVE PURCHASED A NEW DEVICE WITHIN LAST 14 DAYS RETURN IT WITHOUT MAKING ANY DELAYS. (I lost that opportunity)
T-Mobile will keep asking you to reload applications, keep replacing your SIM cards, keep replacing handsets but they will never admit that there is a root level problem in 7100t. Sometimes they will act funny and ask you to remove battery and reboot the device.
You can explore many other blackberry options or even PDA's like Treo, HP iPAQ etc. I am sure they will be much more stable that this useless device!!
Old 05-15-2005, 07:33 PM   #108
wangta01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshirsagarmahesh
IF YOU HAVE PURCHASED A NEW DEVICE WITHIN LAST 14 DAYS RETURN IT WITHOUT MAKING ANY DELAYS. (I lost that opportunity)
T-Mobile will keep asking you to reload applications, keep replacing your SIM cards, keep replacing handsets but they will never admit that there is a root level problem in 7100t. Sometimes they will act funny and ask you to remove battery and reboot the device.
You can explore many other blackberry options or even PDA's like Treo, HP iPAQ etc. I am sure they will be much more stable that this useless device!!
I wouldn't say that. I know a couple people here love this thing and haven't had any problems. As with any product, I think there are a couple lemons out there.

Funny thing, i love the email on this thing. I haven't had any problems with it at all. It hasn't once done the restart thing while typing. Ironically enough, I just hate the phone part of it.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:51 PM   #109
NewBerry05

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangta01
I wouldn't say that. I know a couple people here love this thing and haven't had any problems. As with any product, I think there are a couple lemons out there.

Funny thing, i love the email on this thing. I haven't had any problems with it at all. It hasn't once done the restart thing while typing. Ironically enough, I just hate the phone part of it.
I'm only a few days in to owning this and I am conflicted. I love it. I hate to temp fate but I like it enough that I can EVEN tolerate some reboots [I]if they are infrequent.[/I] That's no different that a dropped call, which can happen with any carrier.

The problem is... it seems some poeple say the reboot is not infrequent but VERY frequent. Also, when it happens, is the reboot relatively fast? I thought I read horror stories that before 4.0 the reboot took forever but is now relaitvely fast???
Old 05-15-2005, 07:55 PM   #110
NewBerry05

Quote:
I got the 7100t for $100 after rebate. Tell me, what TMo PDA can I get for that price and I will go look at them immediately. Sure I could go pay $400 for a Microsoft Windows Mobile device. It'll look slick, but tell me that thing won't have problems.

I'm serious... what can compete at this price level?
Old 05-16-2005, 08:03 AM   #111
linuxrick

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

After reading the forum since I got my 7100t, I noticed all the great software and support available and was very pleased. I had my 7100t on a 14day trial basis also. I should have done more research and used the phone for longer periods of time. I didn't have the reboot issue at all and figured I was safe.

The dreaded reboot hit me THREE times this weekend and once this morning on a client call!!! I'm another T-Mobile user if that's any additional information that will help to resolve this.

Also side note: I get MAJOR complaints of horrible reception from people I am talking to like other's on this forum. But it only seemed to be with other T-mobile subscribers. Nextel, Sprint, Verison, etc haven't noticed any bad quality in the sound.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:15 AM   #112
kdtjlamb

Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by creede1
Does anyone happen to have the IM COD files for v3.8.0.23? Ever since TMO released this new version into the data stream, My policy to block IM at the BES server is not working correctly and we are back to droping calls and reboots.
I have the new COD files... send me your address and Ill email them to you.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:19 AM   #113
kdtjlamb

Carrier: TMO

Quote:
1. ITs not a IM client problem: Because removing IM does not help
2. It is not BES problem. I do not have data plan (only phone) and I experience this problem often.
Although Im not sure why it works, Myself and others in this forum have found that blocking IM at the BES level solves the issues (reboots and dropped calls)....
Old 05-16-2005, 02:36 PM   #114
richie888@mac.com

Model: 7100t

I share the same issues and frustations. I would like to just put my name on the list. i dont know what we can do as a group but if anyone has any ideas, I will support it.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:48 PM   #115
NewBerry05

So what about us non-BES folks? If blocking IM worked at the BES level, how do *I* fix it?

SIGH
Old 05-16-2005, 09:21 PM   #116
texasag90
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Just checking in

I downgraded to 3.8 two weeks ago and have not had a reboot or voice quality complaint since. I am on BES and have deleted IM (it has not reappeared either).

It occured to me that there could be two causes for the reboots, confusing things.

Anybody out there on 3.8 AND with IM deleted AND on BES that still has reboots?
Old 05-17-2005, 03:12 PM   #117
linuxrick

Carrier: tmobile

OK I removed the standard IM client from OZ as suggested....well so far so good no reboots yet. I noticed a few still have the issue even after removal, so Im not going to hold my breath that this fixes it but I will post the outcome after some more use.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:13 PM   #118
wangta01

Just got off teh phone with Tmobs, they are sending me my first replacement unit. The fiasco has begun....

I'm just wondering what I do if this next phone has the same problem? I asked them if I could DOWNGRADE to a less expensive blackberry (even if its black and white!) but I was told that I could not transfer my defective phone for another model.

Looksl like i'm stuck with this one until October - thats when my contact runs out.......I might just cancel the contract and get cingular.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:58 PM   #119
tmobb

Model: 7290
Default Trying to find the root cause of this...need your help

whoever is experiencing the 7100T reboot issue, can everyone of you post the city names where it happens/happened?

Last edited by tmobb; 05-18-2005 at 08:57 AM..
Old 05-17-2005, 09:36 PM   #120
SUFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Does anyone wonder why computers and other tech devices seem to be exempt from basic warranties and consumer protection? Could you imagine if your car dealer or the manufacturer of your new appliance, lawn mower, water heater or whatever told you to go through all this crap rather than fix/replace their product and make it right?

I have been in IT a long time and am really starting to get annoyed with inheriant problems whether it be pc hardware, application software, operating systems etc....somehow we have all become accustomed to wasting our time and fixing problems with products that others profit from. Just some food for thought.

SUFan
View Public Profile
Send a private message to SUFan
Find More Posts by SUFan
Add SUFan to Your Buddy List

Today, 09:57 PM #16
SUFan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a side note I have alot of 7100G users that get complaints from people they talk with about distortion or poor sound quality.
Closed Thread