BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 11:33 AM   #1
Donald_S

Default Service providers, i.e. T-Mobile, Cingular, et al

Please Login to Remove!

Don't mean to ask a question about something that's been covered a million times, but I did look and couldn't find a thread talking about service providers. As far as I can tell, T-mobile looks by far the cheapest with service around $30 a month. Is there a thread for discussion about plusses and minuses of the different service providers? I'm in Los Angeles.

Thanks,

Donald
Old 04-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #2
PhilMax
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100g

Between T-Mobile and Cingular, from what I have seen, T-Mobile is less expensive. However, it depends on where you will be using it. Look at the coverage maps of the two. If you will always be in metropolitan areas or along major interconnecting highways, T-Mobile is probably sufficient. If, however, you travel a lot to out of the way places like I do, T-Mobile's coverage would never work for me.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:48 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

If you travel outside of North America (as I do), T-Mobile seems to have more BlackBerry roaming agreements. Not that you can really tell from Cingular, since they don't publish their roaming agreements.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
PhilMax
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100g

Go to the following and look under GSM Roaming. All the info you could possibly want.

http://www.gsmworld.com/index.shtml
Old 04-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #5
jakiz

I recently thought about switching over to TMobile. But they turned out to be around 80 dollars for less minutes and more roaming. While my Cingular plan is about 100 dollars and I get 7 AM to 7 PM unlimited, weekends unlimited, 600 rollover minutes, and unlimited blackberry data. Compared to 9 PM to 5 AM, 450 minutes, and unlimited blackberry.

Not to mention Cingular has MUCH better coverage than Tmobile does.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:43 AM   #6
Donald_S

Default Thanks for replies...

Thanks guys for the replies. It's clear that I need to be more explicit about what I'm looking for. First, I could care less about cell phone service. I use about 15 minutes of cell service a month (and have for the last 4 years using prepaid). So if I get a Blackberry I'll sign up for data only service and pay for cell service by the minute. Blackberry service is available in my area from Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Nextel, Earlink Wireless, Sprint, Velocita, and I don't know who else. How do you decide? Was it just coverage? Did pricing enter into the decision? Someone told me Verizon has DSL speeds in my area for example, but it's $50 a month versus $30 for T-Mobile. Worth it? If this has been discussed ad nauseum before, just point me where I can find the threads, I don't mean to waste people's time with 'newbie' questions.

PhilMax, I visited the website you suggested but all I saw were coverage maps. No comparison of service by different providers.

Again, thank you all much for taking the time to read and reply, it's that generosity that shows the best of was the Web can be.

Donald
Old 04-08-2005, 05:49 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Thumbs down GSMWORLD doesn't do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilMax
Go to the following and look under GSM Roaming. All the info you could possibly want.

http://www.gsmworld.com/index.shtml
This is fine for voice. How about GPRS/BlackBerry roaming agreements. I know all about GSM roaming agreements. Does anyone have a published list of Cingular GPRS/BlackBerry roaming agreements?

So this is NOT all the info I could possible want :(

Last edited by NJBlackBerry; 04-08-2005 at 01:35 PM..
Old 04-08-2005, 01:29 PM   #8
EGottlieb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Donald,

As long as T-Mobile's data coverage maps on their web site work for you, I say go with T-Mobile. They have great rates and good customer support.

On their website they have a street-level coverage search where you can see what kind of coverage you can expect throughout the areas you plan to travel in the US. Then, as NJBlackberry says, they have great international data coverage if you need that.
Closed Thread