Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 06:43 AM   #41
digital/blasphemy
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700g

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _quest_
Ok i am somewhat confused, as being an Aussie, we have had Telstra as our main carrier now for 16-odd years (before that it was called Telecom and was the only carrier in the country). Has Telstra been in your market long? Is it the same carrier we have here?
we're referring to the handheld software distributed by a particular vendor, in this case telstra.

by making certain modifications, such as deleting vendor.xml file.. the telstra software can be loaded onto another carrier's handheld.

I just got my 8700g in the mail today, and i used the T-Mo OS for 5 hours, then loaded telstra.

I like telstra so far, i seem to get better EDGE reception around the same area. Haven't had it loaded long enough to comment on battery life. Call quality seems the same.

see this thread on how we use our u83R 733t hAx0rz skills.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=26764

Last edited by digital/blasphemy; 06-03-2006 at 06:55 AM..
Old 06-03-2006, 08:01 AM   #42
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Hi _quest_; we are not using Telstra the carrier. We are using a version of the BlackBerry handheld OS which is being distributed by Telstra. Our BBs are all over the world
Old 06-03-2006, 07:00 PM   #43
xkon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700R
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc
Given the serious ringer volume bug in the old pre-.284 OS, I can't express any faith in the concept that major bugs are caught by RIM before a release.
No opinion on this battery issue though because I'm sticking with Bharti until the Today themes are released. Then I guess I'll find out.
I couldnt agree more! I have a spare 8700 at work so ill load it on there first... just to see if i like it or not. Bharti is #1 for me still, with telstra I had battery life issues, home screen app names is horrible... I miss the data off option though!
Old 06-04-2006, 12:34 AM   #44
_quest_

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Hi _quest_; we are not using Telstra the carrier. We are using a version of the BlackBerry handheld OS which is being distributed by Telstra. Our BBs are all over the world
Thanks for clearing that one up, guys - was a head bender seeing my employer carrier in a thread in this forum, I was wondering if we had expanded and not told the rest of the country or something.

BB is slower to go off down here, though no doubt it will - too full of goodness not to.

Thanks for such a great forum!

saludos
Old 06-04-2006, 02:55 AM   #45
bobhammer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Curve
Carrier: CSL

Sometimes i get stucked on gprs....!!!
Gtalk:bobhammer
BB model:8700r, The Pearl(water damage), Curve
Old 06-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #46
Jason930

Model: 8700r

I upgraded to Telstra about a week ago (8700r) and my battery life is terrible :(
Before the upgrade I could get about 2 days without a charge, now I can't even make it 1 full day, starting at 5am it is usually turning the wireless off on me around 6-8pm.

Interesting comment made that it might depend on the battery level at the time of the upgrade, I can't recall what mine was at.

I LOVE the Zen theme and don't want to go back to stock, this was my first modification, haven't tried Bharti, I just might have to. I upgraded someone else in the office to Telstra, going to see how his battery life has been.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #47
bobhammer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Curve
Carrier: CSL

ye.....telstra sucks...!!
Gtalk:bobhammer
BB model:8700r, The Pearl(water damage), Curve
Old 06-05-2006, 10:44 AM   #48
cooperpwc
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhammer
ye.....telstra sucks...!!
Not my experience guys. Battery life has been just fine.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #49
Jason930

Model: 8700r

So I checked with my coworker this morning. He is having no battery problems whatsoever, still can get 2 days on a charge. I upgraded his because he loved how mine looked. We both run the same device over the same provider, I did his upgrade no different than mine.

I don't think Telstra sucks, definitely would like to know what is causing mine to drain so fast though. I may try reinstalling..

As per usage mine is very minimal, definitely less than his so that isn't whats to blame on my battery drain

Last edited by Jason930; 06-05-2006 at 12:01 PM..
Old 06-05-2006, 02:52 PM   #50
emporer_troy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Where can I find the Baharti and Telstra themes to upgrade?
Old 06-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #51
cooperpwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporer_troy
Where can I find the Baharti and Telstra themes to upgrade?
Here.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #52
TheLateJC

Default browser stuffed?

Like _quest_ I've got a Telstra supplied 8700g and they seem to have borked the browser somewhat (probably deliberately knowing Telstra).

The main problem is that I cannot browse mobile.blackberry.com. I get a message stating that the site is restricted to the BB browser. I've followed some other recommendations surrounding the use of bookmarks, and an alternate URL to get around the problem but no dice - the same problem every time.

I just wanted to know if _quest_, or anyone else using the Telstra OS has the same problem???

I'm dying to give the Overlord theme a shot ;). I'm on the ZEN theme at the mo and it's well cool, but I'd like to check out transparent icons.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #53
cooperpwc

It's either a T-Mobile with Telstra problem or a problem with your specific installation. Try a wipe and reinstall. Blackberry Extras are working fine with Telstra on my Rogers 8700r. Further to that I just downloaded the latest free game Medieval Kings 2. I'm not a big chess fan but it's pretty cool.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #54
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

I had that problem a week or 2 ago. Here's what happened http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=36397

Here's how I helped someone else who had a similar problem http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=36417
Old 06-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #55
tonydrone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300c
Carrier: Cingular
Default Rf..

I recently switched from Cingular OS to telstra. Battery drain has not been a problem for me. Love the Zen theme.

Only thing I have noticed, is that when I was using the Cing OS, my computer speakers would freak out when I would make/recieve a call.. even if I was 3 feet away. Now with telstra, my speakers only freak if I set the phone right next to the peaker...

Is it possible that the RF signal would be lesser from one OS to another?

[my mp3 clips]
Old 06-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #56
TheLateJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc
It's either a T-Mobile with Telstra problem or a problem with your specific installation. Try a wipe and reinstall. Blackberry Extras are working fine with Telstra on my Rogers 8700r. Further to that I just downloaded the latest free game Medieval Kings 2. I'm not a big chess fan but it's pretty cool.

Hmm, I'm actually in Australia and my service provider is Telstra... I've only got one browser and it's labelled Telstra Active, providing html and wml. Is that the same as what you get with the Telstra OS?

I fear that a wipe and install of the otherwise avaiable Telstra OS will stuff me up somehow and it'd be mighty embarrassing to go back to our corp tech suport guys asking for assistance ;). But what the hell, I'll give it a shot as soon as discover how to nuke and reinstall.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:50 AM   #57
TheLateJC

Default Damn

Well, further to the above, I've tried wiping and reloading, but no joy. I'm getting the feeling that I'm stuck with a weird browser from Telstra that does not work like it might. It looks to me like the browser is supplied via the service provider and not the software installation - would that be correct???

We should also note that I've tried using minuet and opera mini, but these cannot connect anything. I'm prompted to allow the app access to the internet which I allow, but the apps always fails to find the site. Minuet suggests that I might not have full access to the internet, which seems plausible, though with the stupid Telstra Active browser I can get to normal internet sites, such as this one no problems.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I might acheive BB Extras glory, let me know... it might be time for a new thread too I suppose...

Last edited by TheLateJC; 06-06-2006 at 04:55 AM..
Old 06-06-2006, 04:56 AM   #58
digital/blasphemy
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLateJC
Well, further to the above, I've tried wiping and reloading, but no joy. I'm getting the feeling that I'm stuck with a weird browser from Telstra that does not work like it might. It looks to me like the browser is supplied via the service provider and not the software installation - would that be correct???
correct.

Have you tried re-registering the handheld on the host routing table? (options-advanced options-host routing table, click "register now").
Old 06-06-2006, 05:41 AM   #59
TheLateJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital/blasphemy
correct.

Have you tried re-registering the handheld on the host routing table? (options-advanced options-host routing table, click "register now").

Thanks for the confirmation...

Indeed I have, Telstra (the Service Provider) give me this Telstra Active thing, that works just fine on their WAP site, and on any random HTTP sites except mobile.bb.com dammit!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #60
Koperry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Been using Telstra since it was released and no problems either. I do quite a bit of browsing, making and receiving calls along with using Mobipocket Reader and battery seems to do fine.
Closed Thread