BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
jlaw
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default AT&T BIS idiocy... urgent help needed!

Please Login to Remove!

I'm coming back to a BB with an AT&T 8300. I'm trying to sign up for a username using my PIN and IMEI... here's where the fun starts.

It says the username I want is in use, but when I go to "Forgot Password" and punch that username in, it says "Unknown" ... therefore, it's not actually in use, right?

Also, the email address I want (NAME@mycingular.blackberry.net) ... it says it's also in use, but when I send email to that address, it bounces back immediately with a "user unknown" error.

Unless I'm missing something, there's an error with AT&T/BB's system that should be able to be cleared up easily... but Data Support is telling me "there's nothing we can do, just pick another email"

That's unacceptable... anyone know what I can do to get this fixed? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-15-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I think AT&T got it right this time. As I understand it, after a username is canceled it is put off-line and unusable for a certain amount of time, like 6 months. The system says it is in use, but likely it is just unavailable for use.

If, as yo say, that is totally unacceptable, you'll have to find another carrier to just get the username you desire?
Old 06-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Just another question, why is that such a big deal? You really shouldn't be using that email address for anything - unless of course, you want a ton of additional SPAM in your BB message folder.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
jlaw
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I had AT&T transfer me to RIM directly... a RIM tech support rep fixed everything in 5 minutes. It was my old, old account from Cingular (August 06) that was somehow still active.

Total time spent on phone:

1 hour, 20 minutes with Cingular Data Support.

5 minutes with RIM tech support.

Oh well, at least it's taken care of.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Yep, and now you know to ask for RIM first! Good luck.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
queritor
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaw View Post
... It was my old, old account from Cingular (August 06) that was somehow still active.
August 2006 was only 10 months ago. If that's "old, old", how many accounts do you get through each year?
Old 06-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
cassinator
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: 244021B4
Carrier: T-Mobile

That sucks. At least it got taken care of though.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #8
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I think AT&T got it right this time. As I understand it, after a username is canceled it is put off-line and unusable for a certain amount of time, like 6 months. The system says it is in use, but likely it is just unavailable for use.

If, as yo say, that is totally unacceptable, you'll have to find another carrier to just get the username you desire?

Cingular/ATT is very slow to release the BIS accounts. It took them a few days to do that when I switched from Cingular/ATT to T-Mobile.

The BIS account is put on hold for 60 days (sometimes 90) and is then released again for you to get. The BIS email account shouldn't be that important, it should just be a tunnel for things to be forwarded to. It's not meant to be given out to people when they ask you "hey, what's your email"
Closed Thread