Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 08:33 AM   #1
cody
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: sprint
Default whats your browser settings ?

Please Login to Remove!

I am new to blackbarry and love it. I do a lot of web surfing and have questions about the browser settings. I've played around with different settings and have found there's a big difference in performance. I have searched and didn't find quite what I was looking for.

My question is... What are your browser settings?

I don't even know what some of the options mean, like wml, show image place holders, support style sheets, run wml scripts, support embeded material, and enable java script location support.

I have only java script enabled and seem to load pages farly fast, but some pages dont come up at all. I changed some settings and the pages will then come up , but very slow. If I understood more about these settings maybe I wouldn't need to post this question, but I am newbee in training.

Thanks for any help, Cody

Ps : I have the 7100i if it matters

Last edited by cody; 11-14-2005 at 08:37 AM..
Old 11-14-2005, 07:57 PM   #2
WNO
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

I used to run my browser with most of the options, including pictures and style sheets, turned off to boost d/l and rendering speed. Lately, I've turned many of the options back on, as one can get pretty good load times using Skweezer and/or the xhtml version of Google (http://www.google.com/xhtml). Using one of these services, you can do a search for a particular web page, and the service will format it to work better in your browser. You can then bookmark that page if it's one you use often. Alternatively, Skweezer allows you to enter the page's address directly; Google doesn't have such an interface, though you can achieve the same result if you fool around with the address entered in the "go to" box.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly (there are too many options to discuss specifically), but hopefully these services will meet your needs enough so that you won't have to tinker much with the browser settings.

Last edited by WNO; 11-15-2005 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: to allow the Google URL to be used as a link
Old 11-15-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
ajstan99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Here's a link to the "BlackBerry Internet Browser FAQ" by Mark Rejhon which should provide a good overview of the browser settings and capabilities.

The first post contains a section called "BlackBerry Internet Browser Is TOO SLOW!" with ways to increase browser speed. Enjoy.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=3921
Old 11-15-2005, 02:25 PM   #4
cody
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks guys
Old 11-15-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
cody
Thumbs Must Hurt

http://www.google.com/xhtml)

This link that WNO posted didn't work on my phone. I get this error message quite a bit. I have everthing enabled allowing me the max in my browser settings. I'm starting to wonder if its my phone or everyones?

Can anyone else go to this site http://www.google.com/xhtml) on their blackberry ?

Thanks for the help, Cody
Old 11-15-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
valn17
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100t

Hi Cody,

Another great tool for fast pages is Berry411.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:38 PM   #7
ajstan99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
http://www.google.com/xhtml)

This link that WNO posted didn't work on my phone. I get this error message quite a bit. I have everthing enabled allowing me the max in my browser settings. I'm starting to wonder if its my phone or everyones?

Can anyone else go to this site http://www.google.com/xhtml) on their blackberry ?

Thanks for the help, Cody
Remove the close-parenthesis from the end of the URL and it works.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:43 PM   #8
WNO

valn, good point about Berry 411, it really speeds up the process for a lot of specialized searches. And Berry 411's "search tools" have a field that does the grunt work for you when you want a particular page to be put in Google's xhtml format.

On a related subject, Berry Bloglines, by the same developer, does a great job handling your RSS feeds, which also helps to make your online time more efficient.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:23 PM   #9
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstan99
Old 11-16-2005, 07:32 PM   #10
WNO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstan99
Yeah, oops, I didn't contemplate that URL turning into a link, much less a faulty one! For whatever it's worth, I edited the post and fixed the HTML tag, so the link should work properly now.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:58 AM   #11
windycity

Model: none

as a newbie can someone tell me what berry 411 is? i have an idea.. just got it today. thanks
Closed Thread