BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
johnnybn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Default Tmo store refused to sell me one

Please Login to Remove!

I went into our local corporate store tonight and tried to buy one at the no contract price. They refused to sell me one unless I opened an account!! Is this common? Does this seem wrong to anyone else?!?
Old 09-14-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
jasondmilch

Model: 7130c

happened to me too on the 1st day they were on sale. guy in the t-mobile store told me it was against their poilcy to sell devices without service. I walked 3 blocks to another t-mobile store, walked in and bought one at the no contract price, no questions asked. Strange.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:39 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

They have the right to do this, but it's highly irregular. I could see it if demand was off the charts and they wanted to keep their precious few units for customers buying new contracts, but demand doesn't look that crazy so far. If you can get one somewhere else, go back with it and wave it around in their faces. Might have just been a "hard sell". After you leave they're standing around saying, "He'll be back..."

Your corporate store - is that a retail T-Mobile store or is it expressly for corportate purchases?
Old 09-14-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
johnnybn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47
They have the right to do this, but it's highly irregular. I could see it if demand was off the charts and they wanted to keep their precious few units for customers buying new contracts, but demand doesn't look that crazy so far. If you can get one somewhere else, go back with it and wave it around in their faces. Might have just been a "hard sell". After you leave they're standing around saying, "He'll be back..."

Your corporate store - is that a retail T-Mobile store or is it expressly for corportate purchases?
Its the only retail store in my area. Demand did not seem that high, I saw like 10 of em sitting in the shelf. I'm a little ticked about this.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Sounds like the sales pukes just being dickheads. This was their 15 minutes of fame and it fizzled. They were probably waiting for, "Oh Great Distributor of the Mighty Pearl, please confer one onto this lowly consumer....", and instead they got nothin'. Punks.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #6
johnnybn

Well now I don't know what to do; I want to buy one and get it unlocked, and eBay prices are ridiculous.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:22 PM   #7
jasondmilch

Model: 7130c

Just go back to the t0-mobile store that you were at tonight and see if there is a different representative that can help you...or you cna buy one from t-mobile online, can't you? If the guy won't sell you one, just ask to see his manager.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:24 PM   #8
johnnybn

It was the mgr who refused to sell it. Believe me, I pressed them hard for it. I tried tmobile.com but they won't allow you to configure one without a plan either. Bummer.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:35 PM   #9
mrsparkle

Model: 7230

I actually had this problem last year when I was trying to purchase one of the Motorola Razr phones a day or so after they were released. I went into the only store near my house and tried to buy one at the upgrade price, manager just told me no. After about 20 minutes of arguing, I found out that it's not a policy but just a preference. As upgrading a customer's phone does not mean equal the same as signing up a new customer when month-end sales are done, they try to hold onto the hot items for when those new people wander in.

Since it was the only store in my area, I left and called up their corporate office directly to find someone. After five minutes on the phone explaining only that I wanted to upgrade, the rep. told me to go back into the store and try again. Any problems - give her a call.

*a few seconds later*

Me: Hi, I'm back and would like to buy one of the Motorola Razrs.
Sales Person: Have you changed your mind about opening a new account?
Me: No. Have you changed your mind about selling me a phone as an upgrade?
Sales Person: Absolutely Not.
Me: *dials phone*..."Yeah.. it's not working"... *hands phone over to sales person*
Sales Person: "yes ma'am.... no ma'am.... no ma'am.... yes ma'am"

Sales person walked in back, came back with the phone, slammed the box on the desk, went into the back of the store and had another rep. ring me up.

I figure they are taking my money, at least they can fake being happy about it.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:38 PM   #10
mrsparkle

Model: 7230

oh...btw... If you login to the MyTMobile, go to the bottom left of the Account Summary page that comes up when you first login. There will be a link on the bottom for "Upgrade my Phone" or something to that effect. From there it will give you the online order page to get your phone. - If you don't mind waiting
Closed Thread