BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
spidey69

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers
Default RSS Reader

Please Login to Remove!

I'm looking for a good RSS reader for the Pearl 8100 and the 8800. I've seen several but would like some opinions on what's out there. A free one would be best!
Old 05-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

NewsGator Go!

Not free but it does have a trial. Itxxx8217;s what I use.
https://www.newsgator.com/Individuals/NewsGatorGo/
Old 05-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

BlackBerryCool just partnered with VirtualReach for a branded RSS reader based on their Viigo platform; I downloaded it last night and started playing with it, and guys -- it's freakin *bomber*.

News Article:
BlackBerryCool » BlackBerry Cool Partners with Virtual Reach for BlackBerry Cool To Go

Direct OTA:
Viigo

It has a few things I don't like, but overall I'm liking it a lot more than PicoNews; I instantly added even more RSS feeds because they're such a pleasure to read with this app, I can't wait to use it on the new Curve 8300.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
Pentarus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Yes sire!!! AND according to their website it is completely free!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
danimal4326
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I didn't like piconews at all. I currently use google reader on the pc and before that i used thunderbird..

I think i'll try the BBCool one..
Old 05-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
danimal4326

so far pretty good.. is there a web site where I can edit my feeds? or is it all through the app?
Old 05-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal4326 View Post
so far pretty good.. is there a web site where I can edit my feeds? or is it all through the app?
https://feeds.virtualreach.com/Manager/Login.aspx

First make sure you go into the Viigo app setup -> Account, and change your username and assign a password. By default it generates a random username for you.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #8
danimal4326

got it ... thanks..

I tried to export my feeds from google reader via OPML file, but Viigo kept complaining that it was an invalid file. I had to manually copy and pase the feed urls from the file..
Old 05-03-2007, 11:13 PM   #9
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
BlackBerryCool just partnered with VirtualReach for a branded RSS reader based on their Viigo platform; I downloaded it last night and started playing with it, and guys -- it's freakin *bomber*.

News Article:
BlackBerryCool » BlackBerry Cool Partners with Virtual Reach for BlackBerry Cool To Go

Direct OTA:
Viigo

It has a few things I don't like, but overall I'm liking it a lot more than PicoNews; I instantly added even more RSS feeds because they're such a pleasure to read with this app, I can't wait to use it on the new Curve 8300.
How does it differ from the regular Virtual Reach RSS reader, NewsClip? From the looks of their website, it looks like Viigo has replaced NewsClip except for the Rogers branded version.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:33 AM   #10
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpmumin View Post
How does it differ from the regular Virtual Reach RSS reader, NewsClip? From the looks of their website, it looks like Viigo has replaced NewsClip except for the Rogers branded version.
I don't know, sorry. Perchance someone else will chime in, I am/was not a Newsclip user.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #11
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I don't know, sorry. Perchance someone else will chime in, I am/was not a Newsclip user.
Thanks. I went ahead and downloaded it last night. It's exactly the same app, just different coloring. In fact, it even installed over NewsClip. My NewsClip account carried over and all of my subscriptions appeared as they did in NewsClip.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see what all the hoopla is about. It's a fine app, but it existed before and folks are going all over it like it's the best thing to hit the BlackBerry.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:23 AM   #12
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

Therexxx8217;s a bug in the xxx8220;Send Article Via E-Mailxxx8221; to an address entry that has multiple email addresses. Viigo only selects the first email entry.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #13
nmadd
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm partial to Berry Bloglines myself. Nice, simple and free!

Berry Bloglines: an Open Source RSS Reader for the RIM Blackberry » Boglexxx8217;s Blog
Old 05-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #14
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmadd View Post
I'm partial to Berry Bloglines myself. Nice, simple and free!

Berry Bloglines: an Open Source RSS Reader for the RIM Blackberry » Bogle’s Blog
Berry Bloglines is nice, but it was created before Bloglines had a mobile version (I think). I think the Bloglines version is a little better designed. I like either of these two options because they tie directly in to the desktop browser version so what I've read stays synchronized across both devices. With anything else, you're having to read things twice. (Technically, you can do the same thing with Google Reader's mobile version, but it just doesn't cut it).
Old 05-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #15
rivviepop

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something, I don't see what all the hoopla is about. It's a fine app, but it existed before and folks are going all over it like it's the best thing to hit the BlackBerry.
Because I'm adverse to paying the extortion of a subscription fee for an RSS reader; this is a branded BlackBerry Cool version of the app that is free, and shall apparently remain free. Some things I will pay for on my mobile, an RSS reader is not one of them - you may feel differently, that's how the cookie crumbles.

Due to the aging nature of Piconews - it has a lot of great features, but the server is always way behind on the articles, duplicates things a lot, and the app has UI issues; Blacktouch seems to basically have abandoned it completely, they don't even reply to email anymore - this is a new, good thing to appear on the landscape to replace Piconews.

So, in a sense to a certain market segment of us lowly users, this *is* the best thing to hit the BlackBerry in a long while.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #16
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
. . . this is a new, good thing to appear on the landscape to replace Piconews.

So, in a sense to a certain market segment of us lowly users, this *is* the best thing to hit the BlackBerry in a long while.
My point is, in fact, it isn't new at all. It's been around for a long time. They just changed the color and the name. No new functionality at all that I can tell has been added. They were even giving out free memberships before the BBCool version was announced, so the free accounts are nothing new, either. Too, there have been free RSS readers (Bloglines, Berry Bloglines, etc.) available for a long time, too, that are just as fast and just as feature rich, if not more so. So you had to pass up a lot of other far better apps to get to Piconews, which was at the bottom of the barrel.

I'm not saying Viigo isn't a fine app; it is, I enjoy using from time to time and you'll enjoy using it. I just think all this excitement is much ado about nothing.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #17
rivviepop

Oooh, a vi vs. emacs war, my favourite! Where did I put those kevlar undies...

Quote:
They were even giving out free memberships before the BBCool version was announced, so the free accounts are nothing new, either.
That's actually news to me, I must've missed it somewhere in the forums. I was only ever able to download the trial from the BB homepage and have it run out, and was never offered a free subscription. I didn't catch this news blurb on any of the usual sites, either.

Quote:
Too, there have been free RSS readers (Bloglines, Berry Bloglines, etc.) available for a long time, too, that are just as fast and just as feature rich, if not more so.
I disagree on your level of quality; I try them like mad. LiteFeeds, NewsCopier, FeedSpirit, PicoNews - you name it, it it's a free BB or J2ME reader I've beat it up. Most of them have problems with basic UI control, etc. and are really lacking when push comes to shove. I won't include Berry Bloglines in this, as we're not talking about web-based RSS here, but true apps (but for the record, I didn't like it so much).

Quote:
So you had to pass up a lot of other far better apps to get to Piconews, which was at the bottom of the barrel.
Actually, of the free ones I think Piconews actually has the most amount of features and is the best of the freebies - well, until now. I just wish Blacktouch would've stuck with it, maybe they will in the future. You think it's bottom of the barrel, I don't.

Quote:
I just think all this excitement is much ado about nothing.
...and I think the opposite, I think this release is a lot of ado about something. Things it does well that most all of them lack in one way or another; a few things that stand out that have always annoyed me with the other freebies:

- great updating (non-blocking sockets, cancelable, status feeback, and app-use while it's updating other channels)

- display of unread articles throughout the UI, as well as groups and the ability to save them as needed (it could use a bit of improvement here)

- server RSS based feeds are always up to date, no lag in the newest news (like Boing Boing) making it into your pocket

...and on and on. It has it's issues as mentioned (can't click an inline link in a story and get that link in the browser right away, for instance) but they're not show stoppers.

My $0.02 USD.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #18
Jaime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: Claro Chile

Viigo it's a impressive app!! Thanks for the tip!

BR
Jaime
Old 05-10-2007, 08:44 AM   #19
spidey69

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Thanks for all your comments I'll give Viigo a try!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:01 AM   #20
bulldoggy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyoo View Post
NewsGator Go!

Not free but it does have a trial. It’s what I use.
https://www.newsgator.com/Individuals/NewsGatorGo/
Another vote for NewsGator Go! I used the trial version for the full 30 days and was hooked.

It synchronizes with NewsGator's other products as well as their free web based RSS reader. Also, they are currently offering $10.00 off their products including their mobile readers. Just enter LikeIt in the promo code area when ordering (good through May 31).