Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 09:35 PM   #1
meth0dz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default Newbie Questions

Please Login to Remove!

My BB7105t should be either here today or tomm. and I'd like to verify a few things. I've read the huge faq on methods of receiving email but it hasnt been updated to the TMO-Yahoo email compatibility.

1. Since now they are working together in the email aspect, I would not have to pay for the Yahoo Mail Plus to get mail right? I could now use the free email service where as previously I would of had to pay to use POP?

2. To use my school email (POP) and Gmail (POP or forwarding) I would not need the Desktop Redirector, I would just have to configure settings at the TMO site, correct?

3. Service Packs? From reading about them my guess is that they are some type of digital signature which allows you to use the installed software. Is that in the general area or am I totally off?

4. I have read on the forum that the included messenger uses SMS. The plan I have is the $20 add-on unlimited email and web, which is considered BIS (I think). Am I ok to use the included AIM software without being charged? or is that included in the 1000m blackberry plan?

I probably will have more questions but I'll ask those after I sleep through the manual. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:16 PM   #2
WNO
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

Welcome!

(1) Correct, you won't need Yahoo Plus to get your mail on the BB; the free version works just as well, though the mail you send out will have those advertising footers on them.

(2) Correct, you should be able to set everything up at the TMO site. The desktop redirector is intended only for use with Exchange accounts (though there is anecdotal evidence of them working with POP accounts).

(3) I'm not really sure what you're referring to about the service packs. I don't think you'll need to upgrade anything you've got until v4.1 of the handheld OS comes along.

(4) Unless they've changed the terms of the add-on plan, SMS is NOT included, and you will be charged for use of the messenger. The 1000m plan, on the other hand, comes with unlimited text messages, and should therefore allow for free use of the messenger.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
Canada

Model: 7105T

I actually just got the same phone. I think im very far behind you b/c i dotn understand what your saying either. But i do know that SMS is not inlcuded, you can add it for an addtional 14.95 for unlimeted sms. How do i get programs and ringtones on my phone? Also how do i get email updates from gmail? I saw that you could download something off of blackberry.com but that was it. And i cant do that b/c obviously im with out a clue on how to get it to my phone. Its only my 3rd day and i hate them so much but love them so much more when i figuire more things out.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:37 PM   #4
meth0dz

WNO:
Thank you very much. I meant to say service books, instead of service packs. I was reading up on how to delete a program (included messenger) and they were saying something about service books so I wasn't sure of what it exactly was. Since I dont have the 1000m plan I'll go ahead and download Ramble or some other IM program since that shouldnt use up the SMS. I'm not too sure what you meant about "anecdotal evidence" about POP accounts. Could you clear that up for me if you dont mind?

Canada,
Thanks, I'm assuming the plan I have now with phone insurance is also going to set me back about $80. I'm a student and I can barely cover that cost already, another $15 and I would have to starve a day or two lol. Take a look all over the forums, I read up on alot over the weekend and it help me out a lot. The programs you can look for in the "Aftermarket Software" board. They have various stickies for free and other programs you pay for. Ringtones you can download from the sticky in this current board at the top. Adam's site is good but limited. Lucky's site is great but it seemed to be down this evening. If you want to set up g-mail on your phone, first go to gmail and enable pop mail from within the options. Then on your handset go to tools -> setup internet email and follow the instructions in there.

I have one more question, How do I take off the auto-signature or at least change it? I dont like that it says "sent on my BB" something or other. I read about the using zz or zx for different sigs using auto replace. But first I'd like to get rid of the annoying auto sig. Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, I just couldnt find it.

Last edited by meth0dz; 11-14-2005 at 11:43 PM..
Old 11-15-2005, 12:23 AM   #5
jontalotta

Model: 9800

Auto Sig -- on the device, go to Messages > Options > Email Settings and set Auto Sig to NO. Also check the options in your BIS account on the web. Not sure about TMO, but I know Cingular has an option there for Auto Sig as well.
JT
Old 11-15-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
meth0dz

Thanks jontalotta, but in the options I don't seem to have "email settings" only "general options" and "email reconciliation" which both don't seem to have an option for an auto sig. I also tried the internet email set up through the browser and I can see the auto sig there but I can't seem to find a way to change since it's not in an input field. I tried to compose and email to see if there might be another set of options that pop up but no luck there either. Any other ideas?
Old 11-15-2005, 02:25 PM   #7
jontalotta

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by meth0dz
Any other ideas?
Sounds like you have a different device OS than my 7100g, and that TMO is different than Cingular BIS. Let's see if a TMO person or someone more familiar with your device and BIS service has any ideas. JT
Old 11-15-2005, 03:40 PM   #8
archiberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

For the signature, log into my.tmobile.com, and then get to the "Blackberry Internet Email Link". Under email accounts, you can set up different signatures for all your separate email addresses that are set up on the Blackberry.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:52 PM   #9
meth0dz

thanks archiberry, that did the trick. thanks everyone!!
Old 11-16-2005, 07:28 PM   #10
WNO

Carrier: TMO

meth0dz, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Glad you managed to get the signature issue figured out.

My comment on anecdotal evidence relates to using the desktop redirector for POP accounts. RIM says the redirector requires an Exchange server, though several users have reported success using the redirector with Outlook and POP mail. So it's an anecdotally possible method of getting non-Exchange mail, though you will be entirely without support if/when the setup fails. I personally use the redirector for my corporate Exchange mail, but I think the advantages of doing so are less significant with TMO's new BIS.

As for the service books...ah, I should have guessed that's what you were talking about! (I was thinking more about the service packs for the desktop software). I don't really know the specifics about how they fit into the overall architecture, but they're basically setup-type things pushed to your unit. With the TMO BIS, you should have a separate service book for each of your integrated accounts, your tmo.blackberry.net account, your browser, and lots of other technical things above my head. The TMO website allows you to push a fresh set of service books if the need should ever arise.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:54 PM   #11
meth0dz

Thank you, it took a minute to sink in but I understand clearly now. No need to be sorry about getting back to me sooner, I'm just thankful you took the time to help me out.
Closed Thread