BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
10kman

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Hyperlinks not showing in email....

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all -

We have a user on our BES setup with a Blackberry 8800. She's had it for a while, maybe a year.

She's had some issues recently that are causing her to not be able to see a hyperlink in her email, the words and all of that show up, but it is not an active hyperlink, she can not trackball to it and click to follow.

This was going on and on, and we were not getting anywhere.

If she battery cycles, the first time she opens the email containing the link(s), all is well. After that, no dice, links are gone.

For kicks, we had a brand new swap 8800, and moved her to it just to see what was up. We had tried wiping the other one numerous times, no luck.

I tried to get creative to narrow this down a bit. If you open the email with the links, close it, and reopen, no luck.

If you first open a browser session, let it load up the home page, then close it, THEN open the email, the hyperlink to the web address is linked and ready.

If I send an email with links to a site, my email address, and a phone number, the email address seems to be consistently working, the phone number is hit or miss, and the web address never works, with or without http:// pre-pended.

We resent service book/policy, and wiped the device more than once, and we did the new device test without any luck.

Is there anything else we can try to stop this? It has to be a server setting that is goofy, she's the only one having this issue, and she doesn't change anything setting wise.

Thanks for any ideas, we are really stuck with this. Other 8800's are all okay, new devices are okay, and even our older ones are okay, but her's is not.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
10kman

Default Anyone?

Anyone out there with an idea? We were going to open up a problem ticket if we didn't get anywhere via the forums.

thx....
Old 04-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g)

I was watching to see what people say. Don't know answer, but it struck me as a BES question. I've never seen it or seen the question before.

Out of curiosity, are you saying the link text is there but the blackberry email app does recognize it as a link? Or is the link text missing from the email body?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You need a 3rd party program such as Empower to see links in BIS email. Not sure about BES though.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub
You need a 3rd party program such as Empower to see links in BIS email. Not sure about BES though.
URL's are clickable in email app. If the URL is to an image, the image isn't displayed, of course, but the cursor will highlight on the URL, and it is clickable and will launch the browser when clicked.

Sounds like the OP is saying the URL's are clickable initially, but then not later on. But I can't tell.

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-21-2008 at 09:44 AM..
Old 04-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
10kman

Correct, no need for 3rd party app, links should be highlighted in the message app by default.

Text shows up, it'll say for example "http://www.google.com", but it won't be hyperlinked. It only hyperlinks the very first time after a battery pull, or if I go and open up a browser, close it, then go back to the message. It's beyond strange.

I just can't think of something to try from BES to make it better, I was hoping it was a theme she had chosen or something goofy like that, but no luck, she's pretty much out of the box setup.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wish I had an idea. Doesn't make sense that it works and then it doesn't.

You've swapped and wiped and still have the issue. The user seems to be the common factor. I know you say the blackberry does this even in an out-of-the-box configuration, but are you sure? Did the blackberry do this with you after a swap and or wipe before the user had time with it? Can there be something with the user's BES settings that could cause this?
Old 04-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
10kman

Yupp, we took a brand new 8800 from the box, activated before even giving it to her, and it was okay for that initial email click, after that, it stopped. It's something on BES but I have no idea what it is, and why it's acting so goofy.

What we haven't tried was wiping her entirely from BES, and just recreating from scratch, hopefully the setting would then be gone/reset back to normal.

Actually that's an option that just popped into my head, she doesn't have any custom settings on there so they won't be lost.

I hate doing that though, as I don't know what the problem is incase it happens in the future.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
dshog

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

Hi 10kman,

I have a BB-8830 and noticed the exact same problem a few weeks ago; links in email messages suddenly stopped working. It appears that the email messages are coming in as plain text all of sudden. If you find a resolution to this, please post. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
DS28
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

This happened to me when I had my device re-provisioned for international service (Verizon) before a trip (while I was still in the US). It turned out that my device just hadn't gotten the service book for browsing (WAP?)... (I don't know if that's via a service book, but it had something to do with provisioning from Verizon). I would see if your user has the BB Browser icon available... mine was missing from my handheld until I re-registered the device on the network. HTH, my vocabulary is probably a little off
Old 04-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
dshog

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

Wow, that was freaky. I haven't used the browser for a few weeks and just opened it to make sure it still works; works fine. I closed the browser, and now all of the email links are clickable hyperlinks again!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:10 AM   #12
guy12002us

Model: 8830
Carrier: sprint

just worked through this same issue. when i opened browser it was hung up on completing some action from an earlier session. cleared the browser to home page, then closed browser and hyperlinks now work in emails.
Closed Thread