Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
kahenya

Model: 9550
Carrier: Safaricom
Default Bloody 'ell, again

Please Login to Remove!

The every conterversial Prepaid issue.

Fact: You can use BB with a Prepaid account but with limitations. You will not be able to use the inbuilt Browser, or BES enabled software that doesn't have TCP/IP support.

You can use BB with a Prepaid Account with software like Opera Mini and Shape Services Gmail and Gtalk and any software that can connect via TCP/IP. I know this cause I am using Opera Mini to post this on an EDGE/GPRS network in Kenya. I live in London, and Bialystok Poland (very recent). I am disappointed that not a single provider I have used, and I have used almost 40 due to travelling, has a Prepaid BB service. Well, I have used my BB on 5 different networks in the last month, and everything has worked fine. Enter TCP/IP settings and sometimes reset the settings on the phone and away I go. Very disappointing that BB is not supported on Prepaid. I was speaking with a senior senior decision making guy in a mobile network and its funny. He says that BB on prepaid is feasible and quite profitable, but decision makers decide its more profitable to yoke people to contracts. Because of travel issues, I am on a plane almost weekly, I cannot get a contract. I don't want a contract, I want prepaid and I want BB. I run almost 10 servers for my business and wouldn't mind having email pushed to my BB. Very useful for monitoring and accessing my servers. Here is a hint. Is there anyone rich enough to launch an MVNO that will support BB on prepaid??? Has anyone though about this. There are a ton of startup guys I personally know, who are dying for something like this, and this is on two different continents, or is there another issue we have not been advised on??? I just think that its unfair what the networks do. I think that there should be a BB data plan for BB on prepaid. If you work it out, on prepaid, I use exactly £ 1.00 a day on Web And Walk (T-MO), unlimited all day. But only when you use it. I have seen BB plans at £ 30.00 a month, without the device. I have my own device. Do I need to setup a petition, or write to the Prepaid commission and ask them to press for some Contract Services for Prepaid? Its ridiculous for me to get a TMO contract when I am in UK for less than 3 days a week. Since I am on the move a lot, do I need to pay ridiculous £ 7.50 an MB for international roaming???? Does anyone know any single network on this Planet that has BB on prepaid??? I need this badly, very very very badly, but not enough to geta contract. I am at a loss right now....

The only solutions at the moment is to buy tons and tons of add on apps to get this to work as closely as it was intended to without the applications. And what is with Opera Mini, needing to invoke the other browser to download a PDF or an application or even a picture??? On a Nokia 6600 it works perfectly, download as you want. On BB, it needs to use the other browser. Why??? And I can't copy content from a site to send as an email? Its would be so much better if software vendors were to consider people unable to use this. I would like an email application that supports IMAP/POP3/SMTP, push by luck, and an application that actually allows me to download and send images I receive for my business? I can't use a Windows Device.

Anyway sorry for the whining.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

*** Moved to Rants & Raves ***
Old 02-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
kahenya

Model: 9550
Carrier: Safaricom

Ooops. Sorry. Put in the wrong place. My bad.

Thanks John
Closed Thread