John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
...One thing that I've continued to be surprised by is that how so many people with the same device & software have completely opposite experiences, etc.

You'd almost think that 50% of the people posting either a) have no clue what they are talking about, or b) don't even own a 95xx!
It's been like this since the beginning of BlackBerry.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #122
charles595
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: 3048D1F
Carrier: Verizon

I'm downgrading from .90 all the way down to .75. I'm tired of all the problems. I'll just wait for an official release which I can download OTA and call it a wrap!
Old 01-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #123
chris32111

Model: 7520
Carrier: verizon

i must say i didnt have a good experience with .86 and i was very pleased with ,85 my battery life was amazing on it... .90 the battery runs out way to fast but over all i love the speed. and it responds good for me soo far...we are very close to iphone...few more updates and i feel it will be better then the iphone
Old 01-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #124
WhizzledBlury
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A

I love .90 over .75... however after using it all day yesterday I have had a few issues too... something that I haven't seen any one mention is an issue with the "menu" button. Every time I press the menu button while doing anything... be that using the camer or just to see all the icons... instead of the desired action the app switcher comes up. Usually I have to hold down the menu button for the app switcher to come up. When typing letters also become very easily set to uppercase without even touching the caps button. I think my screen is being overly sensitive.

Besides that the camera is being a pain... not saving 75% of the pictures, like someone else said, really bites.

EDIT* So after tinkering with things for a bit.. some how my keyrate got changed from normal to fast... menu problem seems fixed. And disabling geotaggins seems to lessen the frequency at which the camera doesn't work...

I had 3 or 4 random reboots yesterday and then one today already... grrr...

I also just realized that about 98% of my music was deleted from the media player but when I go into options and view memory card free space it still shows that I have 4gb of music on the media card. Battery pull doesnt fix it.

Third update* music just vanishes even though it is installed on media card. i guess the phone is having trouble reading the card like someone previously said. pulling the media card out restores all music but then as soon as i exit the media player and then re enter... we go from 399 songs to 33... grrr...

Last edited by WhizzledBlury; 01-25-2009 at 01:43 PM..
Old 01-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #125
WhizzledBlury
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris32111 View Post
i must say i didnt have a good experience with .86 and i was very pleased with ,85 my battery life was amazing on it... .90 the battery runs out way to fast but over all i love the speed. and it responds good for me soo far...we are very close to iphone...few more updates and i feel it will be better then the iphone
Besides the lack of games/different themes I feel that we've surpased ibuffoon quality.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #126
bjchantry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizzledBlury View Post
I also just realized that about 98% of my music was deleted from the media player but when I go into options and view memory card free space it still shows that I have 4gb of music on the media card. Battery pull doesnt fix it.

Third update* music just vanishes even though it is installed on media card. i guess the phone is having trouble reading the card like someone previously said. pulling the media card out restores all music but then as soon as i exit the media player and then re enter... we go from 399 songs to 33... grrr...
Strange, I have music on my memory card and have not seen this at all but nothing surprises me.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #127
drewlor

The weird thing is, this os worked perfectly fine for about 24 hours. After that all the issues started popping up that I mentioned in my previous post.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #128
WhizzledBlury
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewlor View Post
The weird thing is, this os worked perfectly fine for about 24 hours. After that all the issues started popping up that I mentioned in my previous post.
I lasted about 12 hours... installed yesterday around 10 am and started acting funny around 9pm. Now, 24hrs in to the game, and we've got apes throwing their tihs around my office... it's quite the show...

All in all... besides the bugs I mentioned before this new OS is steller. I got a lil app happy too... whoot.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #129
yankees07

Carrier: VZW

i think the new os is great, fixes many things, just unofficial OS' really mess with my phone and i battery pulling is getting annoying...when is vzw gonna take one of these updates and release it??????
Old 01-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #130
hudres

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
One thing that I've continued to be surprised by is that how so many people with the same device & software have completely opposite experiences, etc.
I think if you look closer you will find that people reporting opposite experiences don't have the same software. Here, I am specifically referring to 3rd party apps. I have been trying to get people to report on what their exact software setup is, but so far no one seems to care enough to do this. Without this level of detail, it is nearly impossible to make sense of this problem.

It is well known that many apps cause memory leaks, etc, so why should they not have other interactions with the OS? The scientific method is the only way to sort through this. 73
Old 01-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #131
circle

Carrier: VZW
Default Camera Problems

The problem with the camera is a pathing issue. the path is getting parsed one back slash to soon and hence the pictures don't show up on the media card. if you create a folder in the root and select that as the location for pictures to be saved, you will see the pictures you take show up one level higher.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #132
ronx
Thumbs Must Hurt

is anyone else having the problem where every now and then, the screen stays on and will not dim? When this happens, I have to do a QuickPull, which usually results in a Media Card Inserted issue, so I ultimately have to do a battery pull...

As much as I love the new features and quicker responsiveness of .90, the bugs are major enough to force me to downgrade back to .86, which I was happy with. *sigh*
Old 01-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #133
mrmartymac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronx View Post
is anyone else having the problem where every now and then, the screen stays on and will not dim? When this happens, I have to do a QuickPull, which usually results in a Media Card Inserted issue, so I ultimately have to do a battery pull...

As much as I love the new features and quicker responsiveness of .90, the bugs are major enough to force me to downgrade back to .86, which I was happy with. *sigh*
Yes... I find that if I lock the screen, it will go to sleep in a few seconds.

IMHO .85 was better than .86... but with .90 I am still having occasional lock ups and the "SIM Card Error". For the time being I have removed the SIM card.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #134
sartwell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by ospot View Post
I have seen two reboots in the last 24 hours.
Not a big fan of the portrait full keyboard as it is right now, couldn't type on it at all.
Did run into the problem with the device not saving pictures. Not a biggy for me, rarely use the camera.
Overall, .90 is pretty solid, looks like they are getting closer to a very good release. Let's hope.

One other thing I just noticed. Sometimes the red star on my messages icon does not show up when new messages come in. Doesn't happen all the time but I did notice it.
I had the same problem with savings pictures until I went to options and shut off the Image Stabilization, then it worked fine. If I turn it back on it stops saving again.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #135
ronx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmartymac View Post
Yes... I find that if I lock the screen, it will go to sleep in a few seconds.

IMHO .85 was better than .86... but with .90 I am still having occasional lock ups and the "SIM Card Error". For the time being I have removed the SIM card.
yeah, I tried locking the screen, but it didn't help... I don't remember much of a difference between .85 and .86... I seem to remember liking .86 because of the transparent bar in the camera, and didn't have any of the problems others were reporting... i went home for lunch today with the intention of downgrading, but i decided to give .90 a little more time since i really do like the areas it improved... i keep thinking it'll just "start working" for me soon, hehe... who am i kidding?

i'd be interested in knowing how many people that have installed .90 have downgraded to a previous release, and how many are still sticking with it... maybe a poll is in order? hehe

Rob
Old 01-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #136
zduchene

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronx View Post
yeah, I tried locking the screen, but it didn't help... I don't remember much of a difference between .85 and .86... I seem to remember liking .86 because of the transparent bar in the camera, and didn't have any of the problems others were reporting... i went home for lunch today with the intention of downgrading, but i decided to give .90 a little more time since i really do like the areas it improved... i keep thinking it'll just "start working" for me soon, hehe... who am i kidding?

i'd be interested in knowing how many people that have installed .90 have downgraded to a previous release, and how many are still sticking with it... maybe a poll is in order? hehe

Rob
I am sticking with .90 the only problem I have had is streaming video crashes device. That is not make or break for me though...I am sure there will be a .91 or .92 on Thursday or Friday that seems to be the trend...
Old 01-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #137
ronx
Thumbs Must Hurt

btw - saving pictures to the media card has worked flawlessly for me since I installed .90... i have highest resolution, image stabilization enabled, and geotagging enabled... even though i wasn't really having problems in this area, i decided last night to back up my media card, format it, and copy most of the stuff back on to my media card.... not sure if it helped anything, but it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #138
ronx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zduchene View Post
I am sticking with .90 the only problem I have had is streaming video crashes device. That is not make or break for me though...I am sure there will be a .91 or .92 on Thursday or Friday that seems to be the trend...
yeah, i'm starting to wonder if any of my 3rd party apps are causing the problems i'm having.... the rebooting problems i was having last week (7 times in 1 day) almost seemed to correspond with todoMatrix reminders, but i haven't been able to reproduce it since then... i'm also wondering if maybe vyMail might be causing some problems -- i'm trying to think of all applications that run in the background, since i keep most applications closed when i'm not using them.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #139
StuartV

Model: 9550

I have .83, .85, and .86. Now on .90.

I installed .90 on Thu night. Friday, my battery life was unbelievably bad. I had to charge it when I got home from work, for about 45 minutes, then went out and the phone still died right around midnight. Normally, I could use it all day and still have 50% battery by bedtime.

Saturday, I started the day at 100%. 4 hours after taking it off the charger, and having made/received ZERO phone calls (and no Bluetooth and only receive 10 or 12 emails), my battery was down to 60%.

Sat night, I uninstalled WeatherBug (which I had not actually run at all on Fri or Sat) and put the phone on the charger before going to bed. Battery life has been fine since uninstalling WeatherBug.

I have also noticed the same problem with getting the Multitap keyboard in the browser portrait mode, and not being able to switch to SureType. It does sometimes let me switch to the Full keyboard, but not to SureType.

I also don't like the bigger/bold font on the icons in the homescreen. Fortunately, when I hit Menu to get the expanded homescreen, it goes back to the regular font on the icons.
Verizon 9550
Old 01-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #140
lukeg310

Model: 9630
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have been using .90 for few days now. The software ran great at first but I had few random crashes where the screen just turns black with the verizon logo after i get a popup saying "media card inserted". I have to do a battery pull to get it back to normal. At times the answer button doesnt work when I get incoming calls. .85 was the most stable for me but I am trying to stick with .90 due to the faster responce. The accelerometer has been a little buggy for me, it keeps thinking I am in landscape mode but I am on portrait. When I take pictures it takes long time to snap a picture. I can live with these problems for now. As of battery life, it has been decent, almost to the battery life a curve has. I am running a 9530 with no 3rd party software, I removed VZ navigator and Messanger programs due to I not having verizon nor the blackberry service on T-Mobile.

Carrier: T-Mobile
8310, 8800, 8900, 9530, 9630
Closed Thread