BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #141
ronx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

well, I deleted WeatherBug and removed my SIM card to see if that helps with any of the problems I'm having with .90... fingers crossed.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #142
zduchene
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Battery...

Has anyone had any problems with their battery discharging rapidly? It is 2:00 PM PST and my phone is at 30% after coming off the charger at 7:30 this morning...

Thoughts?
Old 01-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #143
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: VZW

I'm about 48 hours in on .90, and so far I'm liking what I am seeing.

Full KB in portrait mode is going to take a little getting used to (smaller keys) but a welcome improvement.

I've only seen one odd 'issue'. I was on the phone, and pulled it away from my ear for a moment and the screen went half light blue (the same color as the boot/load bar). The call did stay connected, and the screen reverted to 'normal' when I ended the call. I've also noticed that in phone mode, the local audio no longer plays thru the earpiece. I have an old habit of checking to see if the call is connecting by blowing into the mic and being able to hear it in the earpiece. This doesn't seem to work in .90

Also, I've found that the audio levels in the media player are much higher. I was a bit disappointed with the max volume in previous releases and just noticed a major improvement when I plugged my headphones in. I can't say for 100% sure that the improvement is a function of the new OS as I am using new headphones. I've been using Shure E3c's for years, and sent mine in for some warranty work about a week ago. Today, UPS delivered a brand new set of SCL3's (it appears that they have disco'd the E3c's and are now calling them SCL3's - they appear to be identical).

That being said, I was doing some looking around and it seems as of the white SCL3's are also being end of lifed as I have seen several places with extremely limited inventory. They make three colors now - white, black & gray. While the black & gray are still selling for > $150, I've seen the white ones as low as $59.99. If you are looking for new earphones, this has got to be the best deal out there. Sound quality absolutely blows away Bose and the other high end consumer earbuds (Shure's focus is on professional audio products.)

Edit: Holy s*$#!!! I just noticed that audible alerts (while listening to audio via headphones) no longer causes playback to pause & play the audible alert over the embedded speaker! Thanks RIM!

Edit #2: I've been noticing that after placing a call, the dialpad is intermittently displaying some VERY odd characters!

Edit #3: Speakerphone appears to turn off by itself every 5-10 minutes, but only when the phone is in the charging cradle.

BES 5.0.4 ~ BES 10.1

Last edited by jgb@etree; 01-26-2009 at 06:56 PM..
Old 01-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #144
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zduchene View Post
Has anyone had any problems with their battery discharging rapidly? It is 2:00 PM PST and my phone is at 30% after coming off the charger at 7:30 this morning...

Thoughts?
Could a third party app be causing the battery drain? Are you in/do you travel thru areas without digital coverage? Analog mode is a real drain on the battery.

I don't have much installed (a few games, weatherbug, talklock) and haven't seen a issue with battery yet.

My phone came off the charger at 4:30 this morning. I probably sent/recv'd ~200 emails, and about 10-15 calls totaling ~90 mins of talk time. I also started playing music via headphones about 20 mins ago, and am at 75% battery strength. It's now 5:30, so I've been cranking away for about 13 hours now. Seems OK to me

BES 5.0.4 ~ BES 10.1
Old 01-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #145
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????

I have decided to go back to .85 ... It has been the most stable of the Betas for me, and such a huge improvement over .75 / .76 ... My phone reboots a minimum of once a day, and more often than not I get that stupid Media Card problem that I had never seen prior to .90 ... I will miss the speed of .90, however I do need stability.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #146
ronx
Thumbs Must Hurt

i'm with you, jsntrenkler... downgrading to .85 as we speak.

.90 is fantastic in many ways.... but the bugs it introduced make it less than functional... as much as i have tried to stick by .90 and work around the issues, i haven't been able to justify sacrificing the FUNCTIONAL aspects of my phone for a little more speed, bells, and whistles...
Old 01-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #147
WhizzledBlury
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have now started to have a few more problems with .9.

1. While using the media player to listen to music I had 4 reboots today. I started playing music with headphones in and it rebooted within 3 minutes. I did a battery pull, let the device fully boot, started listening to music, then repeated twice more. After doing this three times I just stuck the phone in a drawer and waited to mess with it until after work.

2. At times the phone refuses to switch from landscape to portrait for a good 30 seconds or until I switch back to original mode and then press a button and then switch.

3. As before at times I would open the music player and see about 10% of songs on media card. After a battery pull or switching media card support off/on about 75% of the time the songs will reappear.

4. Slow response to answering phone calls. The last call I got it took pressing the screen a few times and then the answer button twice. That was the worst by far... other times it took 2 maybe 3 presses.

I tool shall be downgrading.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:31 AM   #148
lambdacoreaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 304AEE5F

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudres View Post
I think if you look closer you will find that people reporting opposite experiences don't have the same software. Here, I am specifically referring to 3rd party apps. I have been trying to get people to report on what their exact software setup is, but so far no one seems to care enough to do this. Without this level of detail, it is nearly impossible to make sense of this problem.

It is well known that many apps cause memory leaks, etc, so why should they not have other interactions with the OS? The scientific method is the only way to sort through this. 73
I completely agree, and it is such problem that arises from the loading and unloading of modules of installed software on your phone during reboot and shutdown.

I am certainly an APP JUNKIE, and when it comes to trying new free or paid apps out, I'm always on top of the game, or so I'd like to think...
so it is with this that I will hopefully start protocol that was around since the 7105t days of old...posting your installed apps with your problems...because after all, it does help to better diagnose your problem as it links you to others with similar applications installed...

Viigo, Vlingo, Myspace app, Youtube app, Flickr, Doc2Go pack, AIM, Windows Live Messenger, Capture It, Softreset, Sunclock, Talklock, Aerize Alerts, SMS Display On, ESPN Mobile Shortcut, Bank of America Shortcut, CITI Cards Online Banking App, Bolt Browser, Opera Mini, BB Browser, Google Maps, BB Maps, VyMail, Crash Bandicoot Nitro Racing, Nintaii, Word Mole, Mahjong Solitare, Brickbreaker

While the games aren't loaded or accessed at startup, the apps that access personal data like Aerize Alerts, Talklock, VyMail, etc,. and have auto updaters are typically loaded at startup...these can affect your systems performance and memory allocation if the OS is not properly installed...and who knows...it may take multiple tries to get your OS to work properly...

What I have found, and ALWAYS advise, download JL_CMder 1.9.1 and perform a full wipe, after making a list of all the apps you have of course. Wipe your device and reload the software...if this doesn't work, don't "hope and pray" it'll magically start working...it won't you either tough it out or just give up on it and roll back...

For me, it was kind of a "love hate" thing going on with .85...once I began living with the Media Card Inserted > Verizon Screen of Death issue...it was great...and .86 never worked for me...
Now rolling back from .90 to .86, .86 works GREAT! (because I couldn't find .85 online AND IF YOU NEED .86 AND CAN'T FIND IT PM ME)

**NOTE** I went against my own advice and didn't perform a wipe while upgrading to .90 but I didn't have the time to reload all my apps

So...this long and drawn out post leads me back to this: POST YOUR APPS...
who knows it may even help all those trying to help you, help themselves...

best of luck to you all...

7105t>8320>9530 whats a curve?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #149
ronx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, I downgraded to .85 last night after running .90 since it was leaked... I definitely echo lambdacoreaz's sentiments about finding a new appreciation for .85... btw - let me know if you want me to make .85 available somewhere.

btw - for those of you that wipe before loading a new OS, are there any specific backup databases you load after you install the new OS or do you always start fresh? i've been starting fresh each time i wipe, which is a pain since I have to readd all my BB Messenger contacts... i don't mind reinstalling my apps since they're all OTA and i just email all the links to my BB. But having to request approval time after time from my messenger contacts is probably starting to annoy them, hehe.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #150
jskolm85
Thumbs Must Hurt

yep... rolled back to .85 today. I set the alarm lastnight and wouldn't you know it... the phone froze overnight and the alarm didn't go off... so I over slept... stupid .90. I am sure that I will still install the next beta when it's released though. ;)
Old 01-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #151
searly
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Mine...

Went back to .86... I would have gone back to .85 but I could not find it again, and for some reason I think I remember having a couple issues with that one as well.... Anyway, looking forward to the next latest and greatest!
Old 01-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #152
camaro322hp

Model: 9100
Carrier: AT&T

I've had a few reboots (about 4) so far. Usually when listening to music or taking a picture.

Otherwise, it's still stable for me. I had all kinds of "media card inserted" problems with .85, and the permanent flashing blue/red LED on .86, so I'm sticking with .90.

These OS's really make me appreciate my old 8100 on 4.5.

99 Z28 M6 black
04 GSX-R750 blue/white
Old 01-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #153
Lumberman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Z10
Carrier: Telus

I really like .90 but after lying to my boss today about being in a client's warehouse where there was "just no signal to be had" when in reality I was waiting for the phone to finish one of its random reboots, I decided I better roll it back.

No, my boss is not a BB user so she won't be reading this post.

Btw, I have no 3rd party apps loaded whatsoever.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #154
Kopter

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon (BES)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberman View Post
I really like .90 but after lying to my boss today about being in a client's warehouse where there was "just no signal to be had" when in reality I was waiting for the phone to finish one of its random reboots, I decided I better roll it back.

No, my boss is not a BB user so she won't be reading this post.

Btw, I have no 3rd party apps loaded whatsoever.
LOL !!! TOO FUNNY!!! I would do the same; likely stick with the official release; Beta's are just too funky sometimes. I have the occasional reboot but I just know it is because it is Beta and I (like you... but not DA BOSS) understand it is part of the deal. (I am running .90 and have had only minor issues). My IT guy is always giving me s*** about my continual OS upgrades and consequential bumps in the road. I do them, I understand the implications and... I can always do a roll back.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #155
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

I had a great conversation with a T-Support rep this afternoon.

We were discussing some issues w/ .75 and I said to him something to the effect of:

'I don't want to put you in a sticky situation - so feel free to tell me that you can't comment if that is the case - but would it likely be worth my time to upgrade to a newer OS?'

His reply, was no, but he was happy to explain himself. While he is not permitted to tell folks to upgrade to a version that hasn't been approved by a users carrier, he doesn't recommend updating to any beta version that was not specifically designed for your carrier. He indicated that the OS releases are specifically tailored to the respective carrier, and as such you might see glitches as a result. Service books, minor functionality, etc.

While he maintained the company line (I don't recommend upgraded to a leaked version) he was pretty clear that he would have responded with something like 'I can't recommend that you install a leaked OS, but you're free to do whatever you'd like with your device' if I had asked and he thought that it would benefit me.

This seems to deviate from the long held online position, that regardless of carrier, you can use any OS release designed for your handheld. Do they normally work? Sure, but those installs are much more prone to have bugs/glitches.

He was not able to tell me which leaked versions were specifically designed for VZW.

BES 5.0.4 ~ BES 10.1
Old 01-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #156
clubchucker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
He indicated that the OS releases are specifically tailored to the respective carrier, and as such you might see glitches as a result. Service books, minor functionality, etc.

<snip>

This seems to deviate from the long held online position, that regardless of carrier, you can use any OS release designed for your handheld. Do they normally work? Sure, but those installs are much more prone to have bugs/glitches.

He was not able to tell me which leaked versions were specifically designed for VZW.
Honestly, this made me laugh. "Those installs are much more prone to have bugs/glitches"??? And this is different from the "official" OS system exactly how??

If I were still running the "official" OS...my Storm would be at the bottom of a large body of water by now. And it still may find it's way there.....
Old 01-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #157
snakeyez49
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskolm85 View Post
yep... rolled back to .85 today. I set the alarm lastnight and wouldn't you know it... the phone froze overnight and the alarm didn't go off... so I over slept... stupid .90. I am sure that I will still install the next beta when it's released though. ;)
I was having that problem with .86 all the time...but it hasn't happened once since I put in .90....weird.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #158
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubchucker View Post
Honestly, this made me laugh. "Those installs are much more prone to have bugs/glitches"??? And this is different from the "official" OS system exactly how??

If I were still running the "official" OS...my Storm would be at the bottom of a large body of water by now. And it still may find it's way there.....
Maybe there's an issue in how I translated his response, but that's NOT what he was saying. The meaning that I took away was that a specific OS release - take 4.7.0.75 for example - is tailored to the device & carrier that it is intended to be released on - VZW in this case. 4.7.0.76 was (I believe) designed for another carrier (Bell or Telus?). As such he'd recommend staying away from .76. He wouldn't confirm what leaks are versions targeted at VZW, but if (I'm making this up) 4.7.0.99 was intended for launch on VZW and leaked, he'd have no problem hinting that I might want to try it. But if there were a .98 release that was targeted at Bell, Telus or another provider, he'd definitely recommend steering clear of that leaked release.

He could be right, he could be wrong, but he was very knowledgable & his job is to support BB customers. As such, I give more weight to his opinion than random folks on the internet.

BES 5.0.4 ~ BES 10.1
Old 01-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #159
USCG charger

Carrier: Verison

CAn someone send me a link to the new 4.7.0.90 blackberry storm upgrade.... I have no idea what "Im doing here.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #160
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

check out the BBNews site here
Closed Thread