pnico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default iphone 3.0 vs storm

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I was just reading about apples "updates to the iphone" and it seems as if they are all already on the storm.

No multimedia messaging? No cut and paste and no horizontal view?

While I think the storm needs an update of its own to resolve some bugs, I think it is a solid device..

I dont see how the iphone is superior at all..
even with the app store..it doesnt appear to be superior really in any way..
many feel its the wifi..
honestly, I get 3G almost anywhere I go and its fast enough for me to do what I need..I would likely not evne use wifi and forget it on and drain my battery..

just food for thought...apples updates are all already on the storm
Old 03-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
yamahammer

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Ive had my storm now for about 2 months. This is my first BB, but have used the xv6700 and motorola q. Half my office is using the iPhone, Im the only one using a BB. Sure, I wish the storm ui was as smooth as the iPhone... but i can say that i definitely have no plans to ever switch.
The iPhone guys are very quick to poke fun of me and my BB in a meeting, I just laugh it off, as I respond to my corp emails, IM, and browse viigo. I dont feel superior, just more productive. My new favorite phrase is 'yeah, i have already taken care of that' while they go back to their desks and tether themselves to their laptops.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
pnico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100
Carrier: verizon

granted I do think the storm is buddy probably because they rushed it out for the holiday rush, but its not that bad..I think alot depends on when you got it and the luck of the draw..
mine has been 90% good thus far..
reboots sometimes, or the screen doesnt rotate like ti should sometimes but its rare..

I thought the iphone already had the feature of the storm like cut and paste and horitzontal view..
wow..
I do think the iphone app store is cool and the phone is more responsive..but once bb /vzw decided to release the system update, the storm could take a HUGE step forward..afterall I tink the hardware is solid but hardware can be as solid as a rock, if the software running it is buggy its going to hidner its performance..

I dont think apple will ever compete with bb as far as productivity or business..
the rest, like entertainment, I think they are both neck and neck with the exception that the bb app store needed to be done already..bb dropped the ball on that...
Old 03-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Moving to the "BlackBerry Versus" forum.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahammer View Post
Ive had my storm now for about 2 months. This is my first BB, but have used the xv6700 and motorola q. Half my office is using the iPhone, Im the only one using a BB. Sure, I wish the storm ui was as smooth as the iPhone... but i can say that i definitely have no plans to ever switch.
The iPhone guys are very quick to poke fun of me and my BB in a meeting, I just laugh it off, as I respond to my corp emails, IM, and browse viigo. I dont feel superior, just more productive. My new favorite phrase is 'yeah, i have already taken care of that' while they go back to their desks and tether themselves to their laptops.
best thing u can do is just let them be....(dumb, that is)....

in the last 5 or 6 years apple has become some kind of 'fad' and 'jewelery' for people like them to drool over...every time i look at a new Apple device, can't help but grin at how obsessed they are with their appearance
Old 03-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
CO_BBTechie

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post

in the last 5 or 6 years apple has become some kind of 'fad' and 'jewelery' for people like them to drool over...every time i look at a new Apple device, can't help but grin at how obsessed they are with their appearance
Best thing you can do is to stop comparing an apple to a berry. Just because you favor one over the other shouldn't put you on one side of the fence of the other. If you want to slam the manufacturer, or the device, or the OS... fine... go right ahead.

Do not call me dumb.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
Best thing you can do is to stop comparing an apple to a berry. Just because you favor one over the other shouldn't put you on one side of the fence of the other. If you want to slam the manufacturer, or the device, or the OS... fine... go right ahead.

Do not call me dumb.
i'll compare whatever i want to whatever i want, just as others do so every day on this forum....as i see things from here most come onto this forum to preach the greatness of apple products VS. RIM products, and i'm getting sick and tired of it....

i did not call you dumb in specific, but since you felt you had to respond to my comment, then you belong buddy !!
Old 03-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

yet another "apple sucks" thread... hardly think most people come here to preach how great apple is, there are plenty of sites to do that. Most people here are BB fans and have questions so they come here.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
i'll compare whatever i want to whatever i want, just as others do so every day on this forum....as i see things from here most come onto this forum to preach the greatness of apple products VS. RIM products, and i'm getting sick and tired of it....

i did not call you dumb in specific, but since you felt you had to respond to my comment, then you belong buddy !!
First, I'm not your buddy, and second, keep your personal attacks to yourself, as they are not welcome here. I responded on behalf of all the people you injured with your thoughtless comment.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
zero7404

Quote:
First, I'm not your buddy, and second, keep your personal attacks to yourself, as they are not welcome here.
neither are your comments, so clam-IT....

Quote:
I responded on behalf of all the people you injured with your thoughtless comment.
it took as much thought to come up with my thoughtless comment as did yours...
Old 03-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Don't make me pull this car over

Let's agree to disagree and get this thread back on topic
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 03-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #12
CO_BBTechie

You say potato, I say Meh...

ON topic, I do believe that the recent announcement was warranted, in that there was a lot to communicate to the software developers. This was as much for them as for the general population at large, if not more so. It allowed Apple to provide a pre-release OS SDK to those that wish to code for the new release.

It's the media that chooses to make a big deal out of it. Nobody is forcing them to cover it so widely are they?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #13
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnico View Post
I dont think apple will ever compete with bb as far as productivity or business..
the rest, like entertainment, I think they are both neck and neck with the exception that the bb app store needed to be done already..bb dropped the ball on that...
I guess you really don't know Apple that well do you. If Steve Jobs wants the business customer, then he will have them. Apple, for the time being, is concentrating in the more lucrative consumer market. That could change at the drop of a hat. And don't even make me laugh that the Strom is neck and neck with the iphone in the multimedia arena. The iphone browser is light years ahead of anything on the market today.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
4Runner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Alltel
Default To each his own

Quote:

By definition 5 or 6 years, which is a bit short in my opinion as this apple craze has gone on for longer than that, is not a fad as a fad is over a short period of time. Picky I know but true.

Poking fun is jsut that fun. Really comes down to personal preference. You can, for the most part, do whatever you want on each device. Some functions do work better on the iPhone while others work better on a BB (Storm or another BB device)
Old 03-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

For context, I am a BlackBerry addict. But I also think I'm pretty objective.

So here goes...

When the iPhone came out, I tried it and was frustrated (mostly over typing).

Then I got a Storm and was even more frustrated (typing, bugs, clunky, highly unproductive device).

Then I tried an iPhone at the Apple Store the other day for about 20 minutes...

The iPhone is **so** polished. What it can do, it does REALLY well, especially compared to the Storm (granted, the iPhone's missing some important functions).

The Storm is unfortunately downright clunky in comparison.

The iPhone feels natural. The Storm feels like a kluge.

I wish we could have iPhone interface implementation, Storm screen, Blackberry functionality, and a keyboard, all in one device, on Verizon's excellent EVDO service...

(one can dream, right?)

By the way, I just returned my Storm today and have gone back to my 8703e and couldn't be happier.

I'm waiting for a Niagara!
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250

Last edited by kurichan; 03-19-2009 at 07:22 PM..
Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #16
Jory
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
PIN: 24A311E_<-Check the sig

I just came from a iphone yesterday. Its pretty cool except the fact that its a tracker in ur sim card they give u....nothin beats a blackberry tho.

The iphone 3.0 is gonna be a flop watch
: 24A311E0
Old 03-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #17
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
For context, I am a BlackBerry addict. But I also think I'm pretty objective.

So here goes...

When the iPhone came out, I tried it and was frustrated (mostly over typing).

Then I got a Storm and was even more frustrated (typing, bugs, clunky, highly unproductive device).

Then I tried an iPhone at the Apple Store the other day for about 20 minutes...

The iPhone is **so** polished. What it can do, it does REALLY well, especially compared to the Storm (granted, the iPhone's missing some important functions).

The Storm is unfortunately downright clunky in comparison.

The iPhone feels natural. The Storm feels like a kluge.

I wish we could have iPhone interface implementation, Storm screen, Blackberry functionality, and a keyboard, all in one device, on Verizon's excellent EVDO service...

(one can dream, right?)

By the way, I just returned my Storm today and have gone back to my 8703e and couldn't be happier.

I'm waiting for a Niagara!

I feel yea i used to have the storm unlocked and after 3 weeks i sold it and used my iphone to play with while on a day to day i used my curve. i feel that blackberry dropped the ball on the storm. i would have prefer that RIM take longer and perfect they OS for the storm then let it out half assed . almost every blackberry i have had 8700,8300,8800,9530,and bold the storm was the worse i feel. the storm makes the iphone looks good to be honest and i hate apple .
Old 03-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #18
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
The iPhone feels natural. The Storm feels like a kludge.
That's because it is a kludge. It was thrown together to compete with the iphone. The Blackberry OS is pretty much played out. You will never get the polished experience of the iphone out of it.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 03-19-2009 at 10:50 PM..
Old 03-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #19
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jory View Post
I just came from a iphone yesterday. Its pretty cool except the fact that its a tracker in ur sim card they give u....nothin beats a blackberry tho.

I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

The first part of your post was hard to read because I guess you don't speak English, but it sounds like you are saying there is some kind of tracking device in the iphone sim card??
The sim card for the iphone is the same sim card I have in my BB, so I'm guessing you are mis informed.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:41 AM   #20
Chevyguy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Apple
PIN: Jailbroken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jory View Post

Nothing beats a BB is just your opinion, not facts ! But, whatever makes you sleep well at night I suppose ! iPhone 3.0 flopping ?? I highly doubt that !! Apple is releasing everything in 3.0 that the people have been asking for and then some !! I don't recall RIM doing this for the people though... hmm ?!?