BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
noelstrom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Default Pearl 8100 issues on my 2nd BB already!

Please Login to Remove!

OK, bought my first Pearl 8100 back in June. By October, it was freezing so bad that I had to press the end button 3 or 4 times to end a call. I was running 4.5 at the time, but figured that there was no way that I should have to go through that. Called my carrier (Rogers), who agreed it wasn't right, and they sent out a refurbished 8100, as their warranty policy is refurbish replacement if you are within the warranty period.

Got the refurb 2 weeks ago. The light over the "2" button is dim, but I could live with that. I could no longer press and hold "1" to dial my voicemail as I could on my original. I could live with that. I left the OS on it as shipped. The only 3rd party software I have installed is Google Sync. I have had two random resets since then (again, in just two weeks of having the phone). First reset was just a phantom reset. Today's reset was a white screen with an error message. I had an error number (can't recall what it was) and a notice that the device was resetting, which it did. By way of diagnosis, I was attempting to access my call log through the Today Plus theme when the error occured.

Is it possible that I have received a lemon refurb? I would hate to think that in 4 or 5 months I have received 2 bad 8100s. So I turn to you, oh wise BBF members. Should I call Rogers and demand better? Or, should I live with it, considering I still have 7 months of warranty remaining? Bear in mind also that the 8100 is now carrier (if not manufacturer) discontinued. I want to call Rogers and demand an 8110 at no charge as I have now had two 8100s that have not worked properly. My girlfriend however thinks I am just being too fussy.

What say you?
Old 11-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

What OS shipped on the device?
Old 11-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
kevinwska
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted

In my experiance refurbished anything has a big chance of not working well and phone companies shouldn't be allowed to do it. Call them back
Old 11-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
noelstrom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
What OS shipped on the device?
John, it shipped with 4.2.1.109.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I know for a fact that RIM does all the refurbs for Rogers and TMobile. Not sure about other carries.

I would update the 8100 to the latest 4.5 OS you can find. Then, don't install ANY 3rd party apps and don't use a Today theme. Use it for a while and see what happens. Then add things back one at at time until you can figure out the problem
Old 11-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
noelstrom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks John. I have 4.5.0.102 DL'd, I just haven't installed it yet. I'll try that out. The only third party app I have (as mentioned) is Google Sync, and it worked like a champ on the original.

Perhaps I should start the war with Rogers at the same time? I mean, c'mon, two phones with issues in 4 months? Is the 8100 that tempermental?
Old 11-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I wouldn't start a war until you verify that it's not theme or 3rd party application releated. Also, it can be your media card, if you have one, as well. Remove that and keep it clean of any 3rd parties for a while and see how it goes. If it continues, it could be the battery. Are you using the same battery you used with the first one?
Old 11-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
noelstrom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Nope. Rogers sent a new battery, which oddly enough is FAR outperfoming the original battery. I'm getting easily double the battery life from the new battery than I was from the original.

I also thought of the media card after the first reset, and removed it - so I'm sure it's not that. My first reset occurred while using the generic Zen theme. So I'm pretty sure it's not related to the theme.

My only concern is that I'm a fairly heavy user and would like it to work. With all things technology, I understand and expect bugs. This is just a little too much for my liking.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Try the .102 OS. Don't add anything except for your personal data from the backup. If you have any media (ringtones, pictures, etc.) stored on the device memory, delete them (or don't restore them.) If it still causes problems, put the Rogers recommended OS on it and call them.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
noelstrom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the help - installing now. I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #11
noelstrom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Phone froze again today. Made an outbound call, and while the phone rang, the screen did not indicate that a call had been made. Ended the call. Girlfriend called, straight to voicemail - 3 times (was not on a call at the time, full 5 bars EDGE service). On the fourth call, I was able to answer on the first ring, however, no one was there.

I'm calling them tomorrow - this is ridiculous.
Closed Thread