Old 07-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
pda
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Default 9700 Tether

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone actually use tether on their 9700 successfully?

What application do you use? Is it possible without installing a client on the laptop first and without Bluetooth?

Cheers
Old 07-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

I use a 3rd party app called "Tether" and it works flawlessly. I use it without Bluetooth (USB), but the app needs to be installed on both the 9700 and computer.

I know of others here who use the built in tether found on Desktop Mgr.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Iluvmy7290

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

If by "tether" you're referring to using it as a modem for internet connectivity, yes, I use it all the time without any additional app.

I have Win7 and simply right-click on Network, then click "Connect to a Network". Depending on your provider, there certain username/password creds you need to use. Search BB forums for them.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
AZsteelman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

I use it all the time, using the ATT Communication Manager...works like a charm!
Old 07-21-2010, 05:10 AM   #5
pda

Model: 8120
Carrier: o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmy7290 View Post
I have Win7 and simply right-click on Network, then click "Connect to a Network". Depending on your provider, there certain username/password creds you need to use. Search BB forums for them.
Do you have any more information on this? I am currently on T-Mobile UK and I can't see the tether option on my Desktop Manager so must be disabled by our BES admin

Cheers
Old 07-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Iluvmy7290

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pda View Post
Do you have any more information on this? I am currently on T-Mobile UK and I can't see the tether option on my Desktop Manager so must be disabled by our BES admin

Cheers
PM sent
Old 08-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Telstra

I'm trying to tether my 9700. I've been following the common set of instructions that seems to be all over the place...got Desktop Manager running with the 9700 connected. Open Phone and Modem from Control Panel (I'm on Windows 7). But when I test the 'Standard Modem' in the diagnostics page, I get an error when I hit the "Query Modem" button saying that the modem failed to respond.

What's interesting is that I just checked and I am able to connect if I turn on Bluetooth on the 9700 and do a Bluetooth connection from my laptop and use the 9700 as a modem that way. But I don't seem to be able to get the modem functionality to work over USB. Anyone have any suggestions? (I'm presuming that since the Bluetooth connection does allow me to connect the laptop to the Internet, that I'm not bumping into any sort of security policy.)

Thanks for any tips...

One more tidbit...If I go to my computer's Device Manager, I see that the 9700 has RIM Virtual Serial Port for COM4, COM7, and COM8. My standard modem is supposed to be calling on COM4... That seems right to me, but just thought it might be one more important bit of info...

Thanks again for any help!!
Old 08-26-2010, 05:29 AM   #8
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Telstra

Ok, well it looks like my modem was automatically created on COM4. I get desperate and tried to removing and re-creating the modem connection using each of the different blackberry ports. Oddly, COM8 (the highest port number) was the winner... Hope that helps someone else...

Cheers.
Closed Thread