BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
jweaver100
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700f
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Default How can you change a number once you have dialed it?

Please Login to Remove!

I have been using my 8700f for a while now and last week took it on my first Business trip abroad.

I had a number in my list from a colleague who was from another country (Saudi) and since he called me first, it appeared in my BB starting +961xxxxxxxxxxxx..

I had called him several times using this number, but on one occasion, for no obvious reason, the number changed as if it were a UK number so it now started +44961xxxxxxxxxxxxx. It appears that my Blackberry inserted the UK country code (44) after the +.

This is a mystery to me, as I don't understand how it happened and since I had been ringing him throughout the week with no problems I know that it was OK at one point. Anyway, this is a different question to what I want the answer too...

I needed to call him, but couldn't find a way of taking his number and removing the '44' from it.. I tried to copy and then paste it, and even though it appeared in the number to be dialled, there was no way to edit it.

At this point, I was locked out of the office and needed to get hold of him to get in.. I had no pen with me and had no-way to make a note of his number so that I could type it back into the phone... I simply couldn't find a way to call him and was trapped. Luckily, someone came out of the office and I was able to get in.. But I then played around and found that there is no apparant way to 'correct' or 'edit' a phone number, unless you add it to your address book.

I have actually made this question longer than I need too.. In simple terms, say I type in a number and then find that I have made a typo, is there any way to change the number I am trying to ring?

I must admit, I am surprised that this isn't obvious, but there doesn't appear to be a way to do this.

Jon

Last edited by jweaver100; 08-26-2008 at 09:32 AM..
Old 08-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

You would need to drop the existing call with the wrong number. And then dial again. If there's someone with a better suggestion, I'd be all ears (and eyes).
Old 08-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
itsagiven

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Lightbulb

Highlight the phone number in the phone call list, press the track wheel and select Copy.
Go up to the line where you can type in the phone number, press the track wheel and select Paste
You should be able to use your track wheel to scroll over to the 4 and then delete it. If you can't scroll trying holding down the Alt key while you try to scroll.

I don't have an 8700 to test this but it should work.

I hope it helps.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
cde3879
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: 255432B2

Sounds like smart dialling made a bit of a booboo on this occasion - on mine it defaults such that if a number is 11 digits long, and has no country code attached to it, it is dialled as +44whatever. So I guess what happened with you is that maybe once it was accidentally dialled as 961whatever instead of +961whatever, so smartdial thought it was a UK number and added the +44 to the front of it. Something to watch out for!

In answer to your other question, no the only way really is to add the number to your address book and then edit it.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
hell
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BBPP
Carrier: SimpleMobile

I had the same issue, but it was because when I Sync via Outlook it adds USA as default Country. So every phone number came out with the prefix.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
jweaver100

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsagiven View Post
Highlight the phone number in the phone call list, press the track wheel and select Copy.
Go up to the line where you can type in the phone number, press the track wheel and select Paste
You should be able to use your track wheel to scroll over to the 4 and then delete it. If you can't scroll trying holding down the Alt key while you try to scroll.

I don't have an 8700 to test this but it should work.

I hope it helps.
Thats exactly how I thought it would work, but it doesn't.

Yes you can copy the number.. And you can paste it too.. But you can't move the cursor.. The trackwheel does nothing, and pressing ALT or SHIFT does not work.

The only thing you can do is hit delete which basically 'back spaces' the numbers from the right...

The only way I have found to do this, is to copy the number, go into messages, create a new one, paste the number, edit it, re-copy and then go back into the phone and paste it.. But as you will agree, this is a bit of a potch!

I am amazed that there isn't another way!

Jon
Old 09-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
jweaver100

This is driving me nuts now.. Its not just re-dialling which is the problem.. Say you just type in a phone number and get it wrong.. There is no way to go back and 'change' it..

Thats stupid.. Say someone gives you a number to type and then you realise its wrong.. It may be too late to correct it....

Even my 10 year old Nokia does this!

Jon
Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
clevebb

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint always

I am using os 4.5 and I can move the cursor in a number to be dialed. I can't remember if I ever tried when I had an earlier OS.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:18 AM   #9
jweaver100

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevebb View Post
I am using os 4.5 and I can move the cursor in a number to be dialed. I can't remember if I ever tried when I had an earlier OS.
What device do you have? I have an 8700f running 4.5 and I certainly can't move the cursor.

In your case, how do you move the cursor? Just with the wheel, or do you have to press a button (alt?) at the same time?

Jon
Old 09-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
clevebb

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint always

I have and 8830 4.5 and all I have to do is roll the trackball... it's that easy!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #11
jweaver100

Interesting.. On the 8700 it just doesn't seem to be possible.

I found something interesting last night.. As you dial a number, the font shrinks to that you can get more and more numbers onto the line... If you keep typing numbers, you eventually get 2 lines.

What I have found is that when you have 2 lines of numbers, the 'wheel' moves the cursor up/down between the lines, if if you move it up to the top line and type, you insert digits into the existing numbers.

So, clearly it does work.. But the wheel is configured to move up/down lines, rather than forward/back characters.

This would make you think that holding down 'shift' or something would make it move left/right, but it doesn't..

Clearly just an oversight, but I am surprised that its not been fixed/added yet!

Jon
Closed Thread