BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
DC-WiFi.com
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Fix: BlackBerry Tour Back Door (back cover)

Please Login to Remove!

Many of you have complained about the back cover of the BlackBerry Tour not being very solid. In fact, there is too much give in the relationship between the cover and the shell of the device. It is as if in the manufacturing of the device they failed to add two squares of rubberized padding to the inside corners to make it fit snuggly. Therefore I have sadly had to engineer a makeshift fix to make my Tour feel whole. Please see the steps that I outlined below if you would like to solidify your Tour’s back door.

How to fix Tour back cover:

1) Obtain a business card
2) Cut two small squares from the card about the size of a BlackBerry Tour letter key (see picture)

3) Obtain some Elmer’s glue or a small piece of tape rolled so it is sticky on both sides
4) Remove the back cover
5) Place the squares with sticky substance (tape/glue) in the lower sections of the inside cover as noted in the picture. Make sure the squares ride up close to the rails of the inside cover. You can faintly make out what appears to be an area where rubberized pads should be located. Place the paper such that they are nearly in line with the “lid” of the case. (see picture)

6) Place the cover back on the Tour and you should be set to go.

This made a major improvement for me. Let me know if you have any questions or other ideas.

Thanks!

DC-WiFi
Old 07-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

While I agree that this will most likey Help! I do have to say shame, shame, shame on RIM for even making loyal users go through such a process. Get your act together RIM, and spend some of those billions on quality control!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
2 Samuel 22
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 96xx
PIN: Firing
Carrier: Southern Bell, PrimeCo, Omnipoint, United Telecom

Thanks for taking the time and effort of posting this DC-WiFi. While I do agree that RIM should continue to look at their QC, I can also appreciate the innovative thinking to fix things ourselves. Like the business card trick for a better Storm keyboard. Hopefully RIM will address and will come up with a more permanent fix.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

Kind of like when Storm users did the same type of thing to increase the sensitivity of the screen button, put a cut peice of business card under the battery.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Shotiime11
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-WiFi.com View Post
Many of you have complained about the back cover of the BlackBerry Tour not being very solid. In fact, there is too much give in the relationship between the cover and the shell of the device. It is as if in the manufacturing of the device they failed to add two squares of rubberized padding to the inside corners to make it fit snuggly. Therefore I have sadly had to engineer a makeshift fix to make my Tour feel whole. Please see the steps that I outlined below if you would like to solidify your Tour’s back door.

How to fix Tour back cover:

1) Obtain a business card
2) Cut two small squares from the card about the size of a BlackBerry Tour letter key (see picture)

http://dc-wifi.com/friar/bizcard.jpg

3) Obtain some Elmer’s glue or a small piece of tape rolled so it is sticky on both sides
4) Remove the back cover
5) Place the squares with sticky substance (tape/glue) in the lower sections of the inside cover as noted in the picture. Make sure the squares ride up close to the rails of the inside cover. You can faintly make out what appears to be an area where rubberized pads should be located. Place the paper such that they are nearly in line with the “lid” of the case. (see picture)

http://dc-wifi.com/friar/blckback.jpg

6) Place the cover back on the Tour and you should be set to go.

This made a major improvement for me. Let me know if you have any questions or other ideas.

Thanks!

DC-WiFi
The only issue with this is that its creates an ever so slight gap between the cover and the phone. I can see dirt and dust getting in there very easily. Im sure RIM has to have heard about this and is coming up with some sort of fix...you would think...
Old 07-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
DC-WiFi.com
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotiime11 View Post
The only issue with this is that its creates an ever so slight gap between the cover and the phone. I can see dirt and dust getting in there very easily. Im sure RIM has to have heard about this and is coming up with some sort of fix...you would think...
I thought about that, and I see your point, but without the paper mine still has a similar gap, but the gap just slides from one side to the other. Now the gap is constant, but it doesn't allow the cover to slide around everywhere.

I too hope they get a real fix soon.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
Brian C

Model: 9630
PIN: BALL WIZARD

Seems to me it would make more sense to warm the cover (either with a hairdryer, heat-gun, or CAREFULLY in an oven), then gently bow the cover (corners down, latch up)holding it until it cools, to slightly warp it. Then, when putting the cover back on, the corners should touch first, then pressing the center down to latch it will create a snug fit.

Haven't tried mine, yet... heat-gun is at my place of work, and I'm not brave enough to try the oven.... yet...
Old 07-17-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
lalalakers24
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you for taking a lot of your time making this guide
it was very helpful thank you
Old 07-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
Brian C

PIN: BALL WIZARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
Seems to me it would make more sense to warm the cover (either with a hairdryer, heat-gun, or CAREFULLY in an oven), then gently bow the cover (corners down, latch up)holding it until it cools, to slightly warp it. Then, when putting the cover back on, the corners should touch first, then pressing the center down to latch it will create a snug fit.

Haven't tried mine, yet... heat-gun is at my place of work, and I'm not brave enough to try the oven.... yet...
Update: Stupid me, I discovered that my heat-gun was NOT at my place of work, but sitting right where it's supposed to be, in my garage.

Soooo.... Tried warming the cover and bending it. It WILL work. Although, wear some cotton gloves (or protect your digits with a cotton cloth) as the latch will get HOT. Hold the piece slightly bowed (push the backside of the cover with your thumbs, while pulling the corners down with the rest of your fingers) and hold until it cools. You can speed this up by holding the cover deep in your freezer until it holds shape. Don't over-do it!! It doesn't take much tweaking. Now, the cover fits tight (with no gaps under the corners) on my Tour.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
DC-WiFi.com
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian C View Post

Soooo.... Tried warming the cover and bending it. It WILL work. Although, wear some cotton gloves (or protect your digits with a cotton cloth) as the latch will get HOT. Hold the piece slightly bowed (push the backside of the cover with your thumbs, while pulling the corners down with the rest of your fingers) and hold until it cools. You can speed this up by holding the cover deep in your freezer until it holds shape. Don't over-do it!! It doesn't take much tweaking. Now, the cover fits tight (with no gaps under the corners) on my Tour.

Unreal! I cannot believe you did it! I am glad it worked for you, but I don't think I have the intestinal fortitude to take a heat gun to my BlackBerry. Thanks for the good testing though.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #11
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

Thank you for sharing. To echo above, shame on RIM

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

WOW..... Heat guns, hair dryers! I really hope somebody from RIM is reading this some how , and if they are, GET YOUR ACTS TOGETHER! Not cool that any if us should have to do stuff like this....however, we are a crazy following...lol
Old 07-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #13
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

An extra piece of that rubber would most likely do the trick!

Last edited by sean76; 07-20-2009 at 09:41 PM..
Old 07-21-2009, 07:33 AM   #14
Naganalf

I did this fix with the little pieces of business card on the back plate and it worked fantastic... thanks!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
complexx

Carrier: VZW

Try placing some electrical tape on on the surface where the latch of the door holds onto the device. Maybe 2 layers. It won't be easy to get the tape in there, but doing it in this manner will pull the door closer to the device and reduce the gap. I dont think it will reduce the side to side movement, but I'd rather have the gap closed. It essentially does the same thing as heating and bending the cover. Worth a try, I have not tried it yet.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #16
jimbob_

Model: 9600

I have a folded $20 inside the cover that does about the same.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #17
nosidam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob_ View Post
I have a folded $20 inside the cover that does about the same.
For those of us not as well off as you, would a folded $1 work?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #18
jimbob_

Model: 9600

I don't think a $1 is thick enough! and I can't buy a coffee with it either.

this solution is much nicer than the dolllar bill, which really doesn't fit that well, honestly.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #19
firetruk

Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosidam View Post
For those of us not as well off as you, would a folded $1 work?
I've been trying for about an hour trying to fold the damn loonie, just won't fit!

FYI - I'm in Canada - No $1.00 bills!
Old 07-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
DC-WiFi.com
Thumbs Must Hurt

So are people saying that there is a specific "batch" of Tour's made in Mexico that have the crappy fitting back cover? If so, that means we can swap it out for a new Tour which should have a solid cover, right?