Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers
Default 7290? Bluetooth?

Please Login to Remove!

I hear the new 7290 is supposed to have Bluetooth Enabled,

Is that for the purpose of just handsets? or will the feature of a bluetooth modem show up as well?
Old 08-15-2004, 02:47 PM   #2
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

Normally PC side it's driver based. My assumption would be both handset and modem capabilities. It would be a bad play on RIM's part if they did not impliment the modem aspect into their software, as most non-smart phones can be used as a modem via bluetooth with the right sotware/drivers on their PC. I may have to look into that more and get my hands on one here at work to play with when it rolls out here in the states.

-Goth
Old 08-15-2004, 04:03 PM   #3
Tom
Admin & Founder

Yea, but thats where RIM has been fairly ignorant. They havent made anything for OS-X yet, and they havent introduced modem capabilities nor a public MDS like other cell phones have.

Will 4.0 change all this? I doubt os-x will be supported.. but the rumours say that the public mds thing will be solved.. maybe theyll solve the modem thing as well.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
moog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess
Yea, but thats where RIM has been fairly ignorant. They havent made anything for OS-X yet, and they havent introduced modem capabilities nor a public MDS like other cell phones have.

Will 4.0 change all this? I doubt os-x will be supported.. but the rumours say that the public mds thing will be solved.. maybe theyll solve the modem thing as well.
Why would they create anything for OSX? Their market is corporate users. 1% or corporations use OSX...it's not worth the dev effort at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple, it just doesn't make proper business sense. :\
Old 08-16-2004, 12:38 PM   #5
Tom
Admin & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog
Quote:

Why would they create anything for OSX? Their market is corporate users. 1% or corporations use OSX...it's not worth the dev effort at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple, it just doesn't make proper business sense. :\
Sure, major corporations in regards to large networks use Windows, solely because of low cost and high networking ability, but many corporate users, such as myself and many other that have complained on this, and other forums that there is no support for Blackberrys when it comes to OS-X. There is apparently enough of a market for a third party company to come in and create one, I highly doubt a third party company would waste their time on something there is no demand for.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:39 PM   #6
moog

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sure, major corporations in regards to large networks use Windows, solely because of low cost and high networking ability, but many corporate users, such as myself and many other that have complained on this, and other forums that there is no support for Blackberrys when it comes to OS-X. There is apparently enough of a market for a third party company to come in and create one, I highly doubt a third party company would waste their time on something there is no demand for.
Even better....let the open source community write an app for Unix. Then compile it for your OS (GNU/Linux, OSX, Solaris, etc...)

Old 08-16-2004, 12:45 PM   #7
Tom
Admin & Founder

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Even better....let the open source community write an app for Unix. Then compile it for your OS (GNU/Linux, OSX, Solaris, etc...)

Check out this thread in regard to OS-X and Blackberrys:
http://www.blackberryclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=11
Old 08-22-2004, 07:52 AM   #8
Skive
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Personally, I'd bet that it won't work as a modem and will just be for headsets for a number of reasons, they haven't supported bluetooth before so just adding headset support would mean less chance of bugs delaying things. Also, if they added modem support then you would only be using that with a laptop and thus if you were able to carry a laptop you'd be able to carry your usb cable as well. :D
Old 08-27-2004, 09:23 PM   #9
Family K9
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Headset

I think it would really enhance the feature set if it were even only for BT headsets. Wouls certainly make using the phone end of it a lot more comfortablke and hassle free on the road!
Nick
Old 08-29-2004, 03:27 PM   #10
Skive
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Default Re: Headset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family K9
I think it would really enhance the feature set if it were even only for BT headsets. Wouls certainly make using the phone end of it a lot more comfortablke and hassle free on the road!
Nick
It'd also sell some more bt headsets for the carriers, which is probably a big reason for its inclusion. :D
Closed Thread