Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
bcaslis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default Ringtone volume question

Please Login to Remove!

I picked up an 8800 last night. A question I'm sure no one will agree with. I find the lowest volume setting on the 8800 to be blisteringly loud. Trying ringtones I've used on other devices, they have to at least 10x louder than other devices. I've even tried altering the sounds in editors to reduce the dynamic range and volume but it's still way too loud.

I can find some very simple ringtones that are softer, but the normal mp3 ones I use are unusable for me on the 8800. I know I can set it to mute or vibrate, but that's not really a solution.

I'm sure in high noise environments it's great. But I use vibrate for those conditions. Any way to make it ringer softer? I don't expect there is, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas I can't think of.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
brmcguire
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaslis
I picked up an 8800 last night. A question I'm sure no one will agree with. I find the lowest volume setting on the 8800 to be blisteringly loud. Trying ringtones I've used on other devices, they have to at least 10x louder than other devices. I've even tried altering the sounds in editors to reduce the dynamic range and volume but it's still way too loud.

I can find some very simple ringtones that are softer, but the normal mp3 ones I use are unusable for me on the 8800. I know I can set it to mute or vibrate, but that's not really a solution.

I'm sure in high noise environments it's great. But I use vibrate for those conditions. Any way to make it ringer softer? I don't expect there is, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas I can't think of.
I found this to be true as well. I ended up using one I had on my SD card. There really is nothing that seems to be "office-friendly" on the device.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
bcaslis
Thumbs Must Hurt

One other question. How do set a ringtone for voicemail? I see the messages and level 1 messages, etc.. Is there one for voicemail, there has been a separate selection for that on every phone I've tried other than the blackberries.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
bcaslis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks, that was what I was afraid of. Even tones (not the built-in ones) that are fine on other phones are really loud on the 8800. The only ones I can find acceptable are some really really soft simple sounds (like a chirp or something). I normally use a tone that's a woman's voice singing "Ring Ring Ring" but it literally makes the 8800 vibrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmcguire
I found this to be true as well. I ended up using one I had on my SD card. There really is nothing that seems to be "office-friendly" on the device.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaslis
One other question. How do set a ringtone for voicemail? I see the messages and level 1 messages, etc.. Is there one for voicemail, there has been a separate selection for that on every phone I've tried other than the blackberries.
Your VM tone is the same as your SMS tone. If you change that one, it will change both.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
bcaslis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Really? Thanks, no wonder I couldn't figure it out. I even searched the PDF manual looking for every place it said voice mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle
Your VM tone is the same as your SMS tone. If you change that one, it will change both.