BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
johnny_boy_uk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9380
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Question Help required migrating from an old WinNT4 BES3.6 to Win2003 Server BES4.0

Please Login to Remove!

Hello!

I'm about to perform a major upgrade of our aging BES from 3.6.4.8 on a Windows NT 4 Server box to 4.0.2 on a new Windows 2003 Server machine using a "BES 3.6 to 4.0 for MS Exchange One Time Upgrade" package.

I've done a fair bit of reading around the subject but I can't find an example of an upgrade scenario that quite matches what I'm going to do this weekend.

I wondered if you knowledgeable more experienced BES admins can comment on any pitfalls or dead-ends that may be travelled down in error.

In more detail I'm upgrading from:

BES 3.6.4.8 running on Windows NT 4.0 sp6 Server with the BESAdmin account on an Exchange 5.5 sp4 Server and the BES database on MSDE 7 (the version from the SQL Server 7 era)

to:

BES 4.0.2 running on Windows 2003 sp2 Server on a different machine with the BESAdmin account moving to Exchange Server 2003 SP2 (running in a mixed environment with 5.5 Servers initially) with the BES database on MSDE 2000A (or MSDE 2000 sp3a, almost the same version).

The same SRP and CALs will be used on the new server as the old (with the old server's BES Services disabled of course).

Leaving aside the environment pre-requisites which I'm happy with and other things such as service account permissions,cdo.dll versions and TCPIP ports, I'm having a hard time finding a way to migrate the BES 3.6 (MSDE 7) database to a new server running BES 4.0 so that my 47 BB users can continue using their devices for wireless email etc once BES 4.0 is up and running without having to reactivate them first.

As our current BES 3.6 is running on Windows NT 4 Server I can't upgrade it to BES 4.0 and then cut over to the new server hardware.

Although it's not made clear in the documentation that comes with my "BES 3.6 to 4.0 for MS Exchange One Time Upgrade" package, I'm under the impression that it's for upgrading the BES from 3.6 to 4.0 on the same server hardware rather than migrating to a new server as part of the process.

QUESTION 1)

I've read in the docs that an MSDE 1.0 or 7 database has to be upgraded to MSDE 2000 before upgrading to BES 4.0, but of course my current database won't be on my new server to upgrade.

* Does the database have to be on MSDE 2000 on the BES 3.6 server before I even try to export it and import / migrate it to the BES 4.0 server?

QUESTION 2)

I have BlackBerryDBBackup.exe (file version 4.0.2.8) on the 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade CD (no sign of the command in a 3.6.4 Full Install archive I have but I don't have the original 3.6 CD to hand to check there).

I've tried running that BlackBerryDBBackup.exe with:

BlackberryDBBackup.exe -d BESMgmt -f e:\besdbbackup -p

on the BES but all attempts/variations at exporting the database throw up:

Server: CoInitialize Failed

in the Command window and a "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error" window.

* Is it possible to use this version on a BES 3.6 database (on MSDE 7 and/or on MSDE 2000) ? Or do I need the version for BES 3.6, if there is one?

QUESTION 3)

There's a BESMigration.exe command on the 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade CD but running it with any/no arguments on the BES 3.6 server fires up a missing DBGHELP.dll file error message.

* Is the BESMigration.exe command designed to be run from the BES 4.0 server after install? Am I going to be able to make it find the (MSDE 7) database on the BES 3.6 Server to migrate?

QUESTION 4)

Will doing a BlackBerryBackup.exe to a file (which does work on the BES 3.6 server) be any use to me in migration configuration settings to BES4.0? Or are they in a useless format?

QUESTION 5)

If I can migrate the config/database over, is the host name (computer name) of the new server really going to have to be the same as the old server for the MDS to function correctly (given the references to the host name in the database)?

QUESTION 6)

Can anyone outline the steps in the correct order for migrating the config and database from the BES 3.6 server to the new BES 4.0 server (bearing in mind the OS / MSDE version stated at the top of this post).

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers!

Johnny
Old 01-24-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

QUESTION 1)

I've read in the docs that an MSDE 1.0 or 7 database has to be upgraded to MSDE 2000 before upgrading to BES 4.0, but of course my current database won't be on my new server to upgrade.

* Does the database have to be on MSDE 2000 on the BES 3.6 server before I even try to export it and import / migrate it to the BES 4.0 server?

Your database must be using MSDE 2000A or SQL 2000 before you can upgrade to BES 4.0. BES 4.0 will not work with MSDE 7.

QUESTION 2)

I have BlackBerryDBBackup.exe (file version 4.0.2.8) on the 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade CD (no sign of the command in a 3.6.4 Full Install archive I have but I don't have the original 3.6 CD to hand to check there).

I've tried running that BlackBerryDBBackup.exe with:

BlackberryDBBackup.exe -d BESMgmt -f e:\besdbbackup -p

on the BES but all attempts/variations at exporting the database throw up:

Server: CoInitialize Failed

in the Command window and a "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error" window.

* Is it possible to use this version on a BES 3.6 database (on MSDE 7 and/or on MSDE 2000) ? Or do I need the version for BES 3.6, if there is one?

As for backup and restore of the database use this article:

BlackBerry Search Results

QUESTION 3)

There's a BESMigration.exe command on the 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade CD but running it with any/no arguments on the BES 3.6 server fires up a missing DBGHELP.dll file error message.

* Is the BESMigration.exe command designed to be run from the BES 4.0 server after install? Am I going to be able to make it find the (MSDE 7) database on the BES 3.6 Server to migrate?

BESMigration.exe is meant to be used when you have more than 200 users. It moves the users from your BESAdmin mailbox into the database, it's meant to run first in a preview incase any users fail to migrate. Then you can remove them from the BES first. If you have less then 200 just do an inplace upgrade.

QUESTION 4)

Will doing a BlackBerryBackup.exe to a file (which does work on the BES 3.6 server) be any use to me in migration configuration settings to BES4.0? Or are they in a useless format?

All the settings are in the database so don't worry about using this utility. Abackup of the DB will be sufficient.

QUESTION 5)

If I can migrate the config/database over, is the host name (computer name) of the new server really going to have to be the same as the old server for the MDS to function correctly (given the references to the host name in the database)?

No, they mean the name of the BES Server in the BlackBerry Manager which can sometimes be the same as the machine name has to be the same. The machine can be anything at all, it's not important.

QUESTION 6)

Can anyone outline the steps in the correct order for migrating the config and database from the BES 3.6 server to the new BES 4.0 server (bearing in mind the OS / MSDE version stated at the top of this post).

Install MSDE 2000A on the new machine and follow the restore steps in the article I posted above.

You're best bet would be to perform a knife edge cutover of the 3.6 BES to the new hardware and then upgrade to BES 4.x. If you search for knife edge cutover in the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center you will find an article just for BES 3.6.

This is your only option as BES 4.0 does not work on Windows NT that I am aware of.

Any questions let us know.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

FWIW ...

If this were me ... and I've done a few upgrades myself ... I'd call RIM if I was doing the upgrade too. The technology you've got in place is old and you're not upgrading to the most current version.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:28 AM   #4
johnny_boy_uk

Hi gibson_hg,

Thanks for your advice, some good pointers there and it's helped me get the best course of action clear in my head. I've not migrated a BES to a new server before and while Blackberry's docs are good on technical detail I don't find them particularly helpful in giving an overview of what to do!

With your help I've found some detailed info on how to backup the MSDE database with OSQL at BlackBerry Search Results so I'll give that a try.

One thing I'm still not clear on is if I export the MSDE 7 database on the BES 3.6 server and then import it to MSDE 2000A on the BES 4.0 server, will it work, or does the BES 3.6 server need to be upgraded to MSDE 2000A first? And, if I have to upgrade it to MSDE 2000A, will just installing it from the package retain and automatically upgrade my database?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:31 AM   #5
johnny_boy_uk

Hi hdawg,

Thanks for your reply, I may end up calling RIM at some point. Unfortunately financial constraints here have stopped the BES being a priority as far as upgrades go, but we're finally migrating off everything still on NT 4 and have moved to AD and int the middle of moving to Exchange 2003, so it's a busy time! ;)
Old 01-25-2008, 06:01 AM   #6
gibson_hg

When you talk about moving the database from BES 3.6 on MSDE 7 to BES 4.0on MSDE 2000A, this can't be done like that.

The options for moving a BES and upgrading are 1 of 2:

1. Upgrade the BES to 4.0 on the current hardware then move to new hardware

2. Move current BES 3.6 to new hardwar then upgrade to BES 4.0

Option 1 won't work for you because of Windows NT, so you will need to move your BES 3.6 to the new hardware and then upgrade to BES 4.0. You can't change BES versions when moving between machines, it just doesn't work. In the process you will want to have MSDE 2000A installed on the new hardware first. It won't matter if your database was on MSDE 7 either.

Upgrading MSDE to 2000a won't do anything to your database, it's the BES 4.0 upgrade that will update your database. But if you are on MSDE 7 when you try to upgrade the BES will tell you that the database engine is too old.

To install MSDE 2000A easily follow these steps:

1. Download MSDE2000a.exe from Microsoft
2. Run the MSDE2000a.exe, this will extract the files to a folder called MSDERelA on the root of the C drive
3. Open a command prompt and navigate to that directory
4. Run this command, Setup SAPWD=(Some password)

You can use any password you want but I've never seen it used for anything after that, at least in the BES world anyways.

The aboce command will install MSDE for you with the default name of MSSQLSERVER, the default name is always easier to work with incase you have to run any queries.

One thing to keep in mind if/when you move to Exchange 2003 you will have to do some extra things for your BES function as it should:

1. Remove the Exchange 5.5 Adminstrator from the BES and install the Exchange 2003 System Management Tools only

2. Set permissions for your BESAdmin on Exchange 2003 as it is different then 5.5

This article will help with the process:

Hope this clarifies things for you a little more.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
johnny_boy_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson_hg View Post
It won't matter if your database was on MSDE 7 either.
Thanks for clearing that one up for me.

Quote:
To install MSDE 2000A easily follow these steps:

One thing to keep in mind if/when you move to Exchange 2003 you will have to do some extra things for your BES function as it should:
I'm OK on the Exchange environment differrences thanks, just haven't worked with moving the database before.

Quote:
Hope this clarifies things for you a little more.
It does, thanks very much!

I've now been able to make a backup of the current database using OSQL:

C:\OSQL -E

1> backup database BESMgmt to disk = "E:\BESMgmt.bak"
2> go

so I'm very pleased about that!

NOW ANOTHER QUESTION! (sorry!)

I now have a further query to do cutting over between BES versions to new servers as I also need to get my BESAdmin mailbox on to Exchange 2003 SP2 but I'm not sure precisely when to do that.

As Exchange 5.5 Administrator (used in the current BES environment) isn't supported on Windows 2003 Server, my upgrade plan is to:

1. Use a Windows 2000 Server for the BES 3.6 cut over as in intermediate step.

2. Upgrade the Windows 2000 Server BES 3.6 to BES 4.0

3. Cut over to BES 4.0 running on the new Windows 2003 Server.

When's the best point to move BESAdmin to Exchange 2003? Or is there a critical point where that has to be done?

Do I have to migrate the intermediate Windows 2000 BES 4.0 server to Exchange 2003, then cut over to the same environment on the Windows 2003 Server?

Or is a cut over on BES 4.x less fussy about the Exchange environment being the same on both servers, allowing me move the BESAdmin mailbox to Exchange 2003 then cut over from the Windows 2000 BES 4.0 server to the Windows 2003 BES 4.0 server (with Exchange 2003 Sytem Manager installed there already).

The official cut over docs for BES 4.x (KB10278) don't mention the Exchange environment having to be the same on both servers, unlike the BES 3.6 docs, leading me to hope it's less fussy!

Many thanks in advance once again!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
gibson_hg

I would get the 3.6 BES to new hardware, upgrade to BES 4.0 then move the mialbox. The reason why is BES 3.6 stores the users in the mailbox and BES 4.0 stores them in the database.

In the instance that something happens during the maibox move you could lose the users and have to reactivate them all.

Once you're on BES 4.0 the DB is the most important part to keep safe. You can create a new BESAdmin everyday and jnot affect the users, unless you setup the account wrong

Exchange versions will not matter between BES 3.6 and 4.0 as well.

I would install the Exchange 2003 System tools on the new hardware which also inlcudes the 5.5 administrator and apply SP2 for Exchange 2003 as well to ensure that the BES is matching you're Exchange Server. The BES needs to be at the same level or higher then you're Exchange Server to ensure proper communication.

Once you've moved the mailbox update permissions and the MAPI profiles. Nothing to it
Old 01-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
johnny_boy_uk

Thanks very much gibson_hg for all your advice.

You'll be please to hear I've run out of questions so after preparing the intermediate Windows 2000 Server box I'm about to start the BES3.6 cut over.

I'll post on this thread later to let you know how it all went.

Thanks again, this place is an excellent resource for all Blackbery topics, full of very helpful and patient people.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
gibson_hg

No problem at all, it's nice to see someone put in the effort to plan this update carefully.

Good luck with the cutover, take your time and should be fine.

Let us know how it goes. If you hit a snag or have a question feel free to ask.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
johnny_boy_uk

Progress update 1

A couple of hours ago I finished a successful cut-over to an intermediate BES 3.6.4 on Windows 2000 Server after a couple of hours setting up the prerequisites/recreating the current environment/making notes of current settings and info and following database backup/restore, cut-over and install docs closely.

It all went extremely well, especially when half way through the nicely detailed KB03112 doc for moving the database to a new SQL Server I realised that I'd been barking up the wrong tree in using OSQL to making a backup of my existing database. All I needed to do was detach on the new server, copy the BESMgmt.mdf and .ldf files from the old server to the new and attach them there. I'm familiar with this with other databases in SQL Enterprise Manager, but until starting this migration hadn't used OSQL before(!), I'm not a db admin. At least now I know how I can create a backup file of the database that our backup systems can backup over night.

In brief to get to this stage I did the following:

A) Got the intermediate Windows 2000 Server up to the required prerequisite level:

1. java2re 1.4.1_02
2. Exchange 5.5 Administrator patched up to SP4 followed by a hotfix to get the cdo.dll up to the right version
3. Gave the domain user BESAdmin local administrator rights on the server
4. Installed MSDE2000A
5. Turned on TCP/IP and Named Pipes using svrnetcn

B) Migrated the current BES database to the intermediate BES server (referring to Blackberry.com doc KB03112)

1. Created a new 3.6 database on the intermediate BES using 'CreateDB.exe BESMgmt.cfg' (from the 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade CD).
2. Detached the BESMgmt database on the intermediate BES using OSQL and moved BESMgmt.mdf and BESMgmt.ldf to another folder
3. Stopped the MSSQL Server service on the old BES
4. Copied BESMgmt.mdf and BESMgmtlog.ldf from the old BES to the intermediate BES.
5. Attached the copied .mdf and .ldf files back to the BESMgmt database on the intermediate BES using OSQL (specifying their exact filenames).

C) Did a 'Typical' install of BES3.6.4 supplying all the required info to the Wizard, which was straightforward apart from when it came to choose whether to Create BES Management Database or Upgrade BES Management Database. I chose Upgrade which reported that it had failed, however as everything appears to have worked ok (nothing bad in the BES log files) so I assume it thought it had failed because the database was already in BES3.6 format.

Email and Calendar wireless data started flowing to devices again through the new intermediate BES3.6.4 server as soon as it was restarted following installing the BES software.

In fact I knew it was alive again before I'd reconnected to the server (working remotely) as my BB was buzzing away receiving queued mail so that was a nice way to find out!

So, I can sleep easy tonight. Tomorrow I'll upgrade the intermediate BES3.6.4 to BES4.0, migrate the BESAdmin mailbox to Exchange 2003 then cut-over to another new server running Windows 2003 Server SP2. Can't wait! lol

Last edited by johnny_boy_uk; 01-26-2008 at 04:16 PM..
Old 01-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #12
gibson_hg

That's awesome news!

I would always recommend using createdb.exe when moving to new hardware because if you just attach the DB on a new SQL/MSDE instance the master database will not get the required entries in the sysmessages table causing some services not to start. So you've done great so far.

Before moving mailboxes to the new Exchange 2003 server I would install the Exchange System Management tools on the BES first. So, remove the 5.5 administrator first then install the ESM(Exchange System Manager) and apply SP2( Exchange 2003 SP2). This will ensure that when you move the mailboxes that you won't have any email, calendar and MAPI resolution issues.

You're on the right track so far.

Let us know how tomorrows upgrade goes.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:12 PM   #13
johnny_boy_uk

Progress update 2

Not a particularly successful day unfortunately.

I installed all the prerequisites for BES 4.0 on the intermediate Windows 2000 Server BES, made a backup of the database and upgraded to BES 4.0. That worked well, upgrading the database and installing the software without any trouble. The full wireless sync on users devices ran automatically and completed (eventually) although it said it couldn't complete the PIM items that previously weren't synchronisable wirelessly (address book, tasks, memos). Tests afterwards however showed devices were synchronising all PIM changes wirelessly ok.

Then things started not going to plan. After I uninstalled Exchange Administrator 5.5, I couldn't get Exchanger Server 2003 System Manager to work on the intermediate Windows 2000 Server, it installed and took the upgrade to SP2 but wouldn't run, giving a Server not Operational error. (I'd had to install the Admin Pack for Windows 2000 Server as it was a prerequisite for System Manager, perhaps there is still something else missing from this server stopping it running?)

The original plan was to migrate the BESAdmin mailbox and then the users to Exchange 2003 once the System Manager was installed, then to cut-over to the Windows 2003 Server box, so I followed an amended plan:

1. I restored the intermediate BES 4.0 server from a disk image I took just before starting the upgrade to Exchange 2003 System Administrator (I'd stopped all the BES services before that and hadn't yet started them after so I shouldn't have lost data). The restore of the whole server appeared to work very well at first but I think something bad has happened to the database since, more on that later.

2. I brought the Windows 2003 Server up to the required prerequisites for BES 4.0 and prepared the AD/Exchange environment (including installing Exchange Server 2003 System Manager but without yet moving the BESAdmin mailbox from its current home on an Exchange 5.5 box as I wanted to make sure the next step worked first).

3. I Installed MSDE 2000A on the Windows 2000 Server box, create a new 4.0 database with CreateDB.exe BESMgmt.cfg, detached BESMgmt.mdf and BESMgmt.ldf and attempted to attach the current BESMgmt.mdf and BESMgmtlog.ldf, BUT they wouldn't attach. The OSQL transaction and error was as follows:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn>OSQL -E
1> exec sp_detach_db @dbname = "BESMgmt"
2> go
1> exec sp_attach_db @dbname = "BESMgmt",
2> @filename1 = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\BESMgmt.mdf",
3> @filename2 = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\BESMgmtlog.ldf
"
4> go
Msg 3624, Level 20, State 1, Server CARLBES1, Line 1

Expression: m_SizeRec > 0 && m_SizeRec <= MAXDATAROW
SPID: 51
Process ID: 1256

HOWEVER, I have since been able to attach an earlier copy of the .mdf and .ldf set from before I attempted to install Exchange Server 2003 System Manager on the intermediate BES 4.0. It will be missing around an hour and a half of data transactions that took place after the intermediate BES 4.0 was restored to using Exchange 5.5 Administrator from a disk image, but I could live with that if it gets things running. Any dangers from using it? (It's a 4.0 database). The next step on this server would be to move BESAdmin to Exchange 2003 (and the users?) and install BES 4.0 but I'm holding off until tomorrow because.....

Just to make my night I discovered this evening that the SQL service on the intermediate BES 4.0 (which I left running while I fought with MSDE on the Windows 2003 Server box so the users had some uptime) keeps stopping unexpectedly. I've set it to always restart if it stops but I suspect from the Application logs on the server that it can't restart properly without a restart of the server. I managed to bounce the box remotely once, the SQL service started ok, but shortly after started all the BES services (which I've set to Manual to be on the safe side) it fell over again. I tried to stop all the BES services and bounce the box again but theres a hung task (probably a BES one) stopping it from shutting down and I can't reconnect so I'll have to go in and sort it tomorrow.

I've got a nasty feeling the database has become corrupt but I'm not sure how. Is restoring a BES server from a disk image "a bad idea" ?

Now I've got a database (not the current one, but close enough) to attach on the Windows 2003 Server I'm tempted to just shut the intermediate server down tomorrow and install BES 4.0. If it works this would all be worth it, if not I could be reconnecting users all next week!

Last edited by johnny_boy_uk; 01-26-2008 at 05:16 PM..
Old 01-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #14
gibson_hg

Everything wasn't a complete success but it wasn't a complete failure either. I've never seen that OSQL error attaching a DB either. I did find this on Microsoft's web site though:

An assertion or Msg 7987 may occur when an operation is performed on an instance of SQL Server

It refernces using the CHECKDG command to look for inconsistencies in the DB, it's a nice thing to use once in a while. I've had to use it a few times.

But as long as the DB you restored is a BES 4.0 DB it's fine. All transactions are not saved in the DB, like email and wireless sync, so that's ok as well. As long as that DB has the same users and nothing significant was done within that 1 hour time frame then it's perfectly fine.

I'm not sure if ESM 2003 can work on Windows Server 2000 or if it's the other way around. But one of them are not compatible together. I think you would get a warning during the install as I'm sure it checks the OS version.

I would get the BES running on the Windows 2003 server first, move the BESAdmin mailbox and re-create the MAPI profiles. Then I would start moving users in groups and don't forget to run handheldcleanup -u to pick up the moved users.

Don't forget to update permissions for Exchange 2003, that will be very important for the users to work:

Again, let us know how it goes and ask any questions that you may have.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:59 AM   #15
johnny_boy_uk

Hi,

It's the Exchange 2000 System Aministrator that isn't supported on Windows 2003 Server.

I've just powered the intermediate BES 4.0 off and am going to see if I can get BES 4.0 installed and happy on the Windows 2003 Server then migrate things over to Exchange 2003.

Quote:
Don't forget to update permissions for Exchange 2003, that will be very important for the users to work:
I did everything in that list yesterday in preparation. The only odd thing was that under Task 5, (step 7, 8 and 9) I don't have a "Send As" check box to tick in Active Directory Users and Computers on any DC or Exchange server.
But every mailbox is inheriting permissions for the BESAdmin domain user with full permissions on the mailbox so I think that covers it(?).

Last edited by johnny_boy_uk; 01-27-2008 at 10:01 AM..
Old 01-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #16
johnny_boy_uk

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I see there's an SP7 and two MR's for BES 4.0, would I be tempting fate or wise to install at least the SP7 if i get BES 4.0 working (after a sucessfull migration to Exchange 2003)?
Old 01-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #17
gibson_hg

A minimum of SP4 is needed for BES to support Exchange 2003 SP2, there are issues with Calendaring in SP3 and lower for BES 4.0. If the BES is running on anything less than SP4 then you should apply SP7.

The BESAdmin does not need full permissions on the mailbox. If you delegate Exchange View Only Administrator on the First Administrative Group the permissions should inherit down then you will set Administer Information Store, Recieve As and Send As at the Server level. Then check that it is inheriting at the mailbox store level.

Send As in Active Directory is different, it's for an email issue. Send As in AD is needed after certain Exchange updates revoke the right of users to send email.

Send As should be the last one in the list after you have selected user objects. If you're having trouble finding it, use this article:

Under Resolution 2 at the end there is a Tip with a link to a video on how to set the Send As permission in AD. That should be of help to you.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #18
johnny_boy_uk

Progress update 3

Just time for a quick note to say things have gone well, thanks for all your help gibson_hg.

I powered off the non-working intermediate BES 4.0 and got BES 4.0 installed and working on the Windows 2003 Server (with the database that would attach without errors).

All users and settings came in and things started working straight away, but emails from Outlook to devices took 20mins to deliver, while devices emailing out was instant. Upgrading to SP7 fixed that, then upgraded to SP7 MR1 then SP7 MR2.

Then shut the BES serverdown, moved the BESAdmin mailbox to Exchange 2003, brought the BES server back up and the new server location was found ok in the MAPI profile.

I'd found the "Send As" in AD previously to this and set the permission, but it wasn't where the docs said!

I also don't have First Administrative Group in Exchange 2003 System Manager, (I didn't set our up our Exchange environment) but I did delegate View Only Administrator with the help of a colleauge yesterday. The mailbox store level is inheriting Administer Information Store, Recieve As and Send As.

I appear to be having trouble after moving users to Exchange 2003, the devices nolonger send or receive email or Calendar (or anything wirelessly), no error on the device (plenty in the logs about being unable to access the mailbox). However I'm only doing this with test users on a spare device added to the BES after the BESAdmin move to Exchange 2003. An earlier test user setup before BESAdmin moved to Exchange 2003 migrated over to Exchange 2003 without this problem, so I will test and find out tomorrow if existing users will migrate ok.

Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #19
gibson_hg

Sweet!

After moving a mailbox to another Exchange server the BES will not know where the mailbox is and therefore nothing works. Try running handheldcleanup with the -u switch to pick up the moved users. The BES should pick up the move but it will take longer.

Just search for handheldcleanup and then run it from the DOS prompt with -u and the users should work pretty quickly.

It's almost over and so far has been successful with a few bumps along the way. Let us know how everything is tomorrow.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:11 AM   #20
johnny_boy_uk

Sorry I'd forgotten to mention that I did run handheldcleanup -u after moving test users from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003, and it reported that it detected the change, (which showed up in BES) but still nothing wireless would send/receive/appear even hours later until I'd removed the user from the BES and reconnected/reactivated.

I'll do some more tests today before moving any live users and see what happens, I'll try and find a willing live user to test on too.
Closed Thread