Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarXJ7 View Post
All due respect, but it is people that think this way that inspire the hackers of the world. They want to prove you WRONG!

Up until recently, the blackberry had a mainly corporate following .............. that is changing. And with that change comes the supply and demand of the regular everyday consumer.

Pretty well every OS/Device out there has been hacked and the Blackberry has just been biding its time.

Hackers don't necessarily do what they do just to be "Bad" .............. they do it to prove they can. Of course there are always some extremists that will then take things to far and start the piracy ball rolling.

In short ............... never say never! Just watch and see.
well I will just say this, I have carried a BB since 1999 and no one has hacked it yet, I am sure it has been tried many many times. I am sure the feds have tried to hack it just make sure it can or cant be done. Other wise so many high ranking officials wouldnt use it for the security factor.

I will say never its never been done.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #62
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

I heard a story one time that the CIA completely disassembled BlackBerries before the US government adopted them. Despite everything they did to both the hardware and software they were unsuccessful.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #63
red_jude
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange

Apart from all the comments, why would any one want to? further more why would any one advertise the fact?
Old 02-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #64
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I am sure the feds have tried to hack it just make sure it can or cant be done. Other wise so many high ranking officials wouldn't use it for the security factor.

This I can say is fact that it has been tried by the above statement but can't say anymore.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 02-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #65
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit View Post
This I can say is fact that it has been tried by the above statement but can't say anymore.
i can back that up as well. As a matter of fact, if you deal with certain government sales, before they do anything they have to get the phone, sealed in a box, to test, among other things.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #66
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_jude View Post
Apart from all the comments, why would any one want to? further more why would any one advertise the fact?
Because they are lonely. The minute they advertise the fact that they did/can, I would bet they will have several visitors from various government agencies, as well as RIM.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #67
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

I think you are correct juwaaack
Old 02-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #68
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9810

Like everyone here, I too hope it never happens .............. I rather appreciate the comfort I get from its current and long standing security.

I just see that there are waaaaay too many people with waaaay too much time on there hands ............... like all the idiots that write viruses.

@ Sith_Apprentice - agreed
@ Dawg - i will certainly agree that it is by far the most secure device and infrastructure (as Sith_Apprentice pointed out). I just hope it stays that way.

I often like to play the devils advocate in a conversation, so please don't take my comments the wrong way and think I, in any way want to see it, or any part of it hacked.

"Torch 9810 + Playbook 64gb"
Old 02-19-2008, 04:51 PM   #69
kjjb0204

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarXJ7 View Post
Up until recently, the blackberry had a mainly corporate following .............. that is changing. And with that change comes the supply and demand of the regular everyday consumer.
I would say that corporate would be the first targets of hackers, wouldn't you? Who cares if I can screw with my neighbors personal email. I would think a hacker would want to do the most destruction at once, being corporate email on the bb. If the hackers are waiting until it's become more popular in the consumer space, then they aren't very smart to begin with. I think they have been trying all along and just can't do it.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #70
camattin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: 32CA9578
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
WMD's have a registry that can be hacked done it several times on the BlackJack to perform a couple fixes
For a minute there, I thought all this WMD hacking discussion was referring to Weapons of Mass Destruction. Boy am I glad I was wrong.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #71
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

No one has even figured out how to introduce a virus in the RIM software!

It is all about encryption!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #72
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
No one has even figured out how to introduce a virus in the RIM software!

It is all about encryption!
their was a intrusion written app, unsigned, that you had to allow to run to do spying/etc on a device, but then again, its just too much trouble to hack a berry when the person who you want to hack has a wifi in his office with no wep :P or any security

edit: the only thing is you have to pay 100 to get it signed by rim to run. :P
Old 02-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #73
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
their was a intrusion written app, unsigned, that you had to allow to run to do spying/etc on a device, but then again, its just too much trouble to hack a berry when the person who you want to hack has a wifi in his office with no wep :P or any security

edit: the only thing is you have to pay 100 to get it signed by rim to run. :P
it isnt hacking a device if you have to have the end user install the app and have it running. thats just writting an app that lets your remotely view the device, almost like a VNC client.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #74
wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
it isnt hacking a device if you have to have the end user install the app and have it running. thats just writting an app that lets your remotely view the device, almost like a VNC client.
i agree, i dont know why i threw that out their i was more thinking of security flaws that can be semi exploited..

idk i'm very pissed atm over something dumb as a retailer but thats its own subject.

tks for the correction, so not thinking right atm
Old 02-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #75
RobM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 240721B8
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
What a nice thought.

A big prize would not interests the people who would like to hack into RIM. Without a doubt people have already tried to hack into RIM. The prise would be way bigger than any contest. Our goverement and top companies all over the world use RIM. The encryption is so good that even the brightest of hackers have had no success.

It is so easy to sit back with your cool sunglasses and say oh it can be done, maybe if a large prize was offered! LOL! Doing it is another thing! Encryption is a powerful thing!

I and my stock in RIMM that I bought at less than $35, feel confident we are safe. So safe we just bought more!

so you like my glasses....ehhhhhh
Old 02-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #76
RobM

Hey, I will be honest with you...I never realized that there were so many people passionate about this whole "hackable" thing...and to be honest, although I care if it is hacked...if it is, I know that RIM will leap into action and fix it quickly...at least I hope. But the good thing about it getting hacked is that RIM will get off their high horse and realize that it is not perfect and maybe we can get some os updates faster...sorry had to throw that in

but again, this whole discussion is hypothetical...if and when it happens, we can all discuss again
Old 02-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #77
RobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
ONE meeellllionnnn dollars. and a broken BB.
and a quarter pounder.

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-conte...ges/drevil.jpg
Although I bet Dr. Evil could hack it
Old 02-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #78
trbloomer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Default Hack It

This is a very weird discussion. Of course it "can" be hacked. Maybe it will be or maybe it won't. While yes there are many millions of BB's, thats a small target for typical hackers.

As to using the CIA as the gold standard of checking on things. Well, lets look at their estimates of the Soviet Union in the late 70's, or better yet killing one man in a third world nation (Fidel Castro), or just for giggles WMD as in Iraq, they were shocked twice, after the first gulf war and then again this time. Yea I'll use them as my security consultants.

I don't understand the it can't be done because its so secure. Take a little time to look at what is happening in Linux security. Probably because Linux is open source constant holes are being found in parts of the system. Same can be said for BSD. Undoubtedly RIM has the same things going on internally, just because its hard doesn't mean it won't be done. It won't take millions of dollars, it will take someone with a "better" idea.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #79
wabbit

why even hack a berry this is what i dont get.

even if someone does hack it, nothing is on it. its the reciver of info, dont request anything, dont do anything. so you can read someones notes?

to get their email their corp xchange/smtp/etc is 1000 quicker to get access to, so i still dont get why even bother?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:56 PM   #80
JaguarXJ7
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
I would say that corporate would be the first targets of hackers, wouldn't you? Who cares if I can screw with my neighbors personal email. I would think a hacker would want to do the most destruction at once, being corporate email on the bb. If the hackers are waiting until it's become more popular in the consumer space, then they aren't very smart to begin with. I think they have been trying all along and just can't do it.
What you say is true, but I suppose it all depends on the goal or intent of the hacker. I find these days the term "Hacker" is used in a very general sense ................. A hacker could be a person or group who wishes to hack a device or system for many purposes that do not necessarily relate to the security of corporate/government information.

"Torch 9810 + Playbook 64gb"
Closed Thread