Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 01:35 AM   #1
cthomp81
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Carrier: att
Unhappy why blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

I just bought a 7100g and i love it and is was step up from my lost nokia 3620. I'm pretty disappointed in the 7100g bluetooth abilty. I have blue tooth in both of my computers and usb bluetooth devise. now it a bia_ _. Is there any other software that will allow data transfer. please tell me because i dont want to sell my phone but i might have to.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:02 AM   #2
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

no you are stuck with what you have bluetooth is for handsfree and keyboards only. I always try to find out as much information on an item I am buying prior to buying especially thosein the 200 dollar and up range
Old 08-24-2005, 06:00 AM   #3
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Remember, security is the key here cthomp81. Bluetooth for audio only, don't want users storing sensitive documents on their devices, otherwise all the security elements of BlackBerry become pointless - a bit like have 10 locks on the door and leaving the window open!!!!

Old 08-24-2005, 08:26 AM   #4
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAdmin
Remember, security is the key here cthomp81. Bluetooth for audio only, don't want users storing sensitive documents on their devices, otherwise all the security elements of BlackBerry become pointless - a bit like have 10 locks on the door and leaving the window open!!!!

If security is the key than why doens't the blackberry force you to have it passworded from the setup? If you drop it or leave it ANYWHERE and no password EVERYTHING is open. If for military reasons I do not think they could even buy a laptop without built in wireless access. It is pretty much a standard now to have a built in wireless NIC. Which you can store alot more information on a laptop hard drive than a BB anyday. Yes there is wireless hacking going on and even more wireless hacking going on than bluetooth cause wireless signals can and do broadcast father.

Isn't that way there are profiles to disable wireless on laptop and wait even blackberry have policies that can be enforced through thier own software.

Pretty much all companies disable the use of the wireless NIC due to security reasons but hey maybe they should stop wireless NIC's all together since there is a security risk. IF all companies were doing this there would be NO wireless data transfer from ANY PC's, Laptops, Phones, cell phones, or any other way and there would not be such a think as bluetooth, wifi, 802.X proticals or anything. I do and have disabled wireless on laptops for security reasons and I do not even think you can order a laptop without wireless anymore. But I am almost possitive even the Military and the Goverment do have laptops that have built in wireless NICs but they just disable them. They don't make the manufactors build a special laptop just for them cause it can be disabled. If RIM had the option they probally would even increase thier software sales for thier BB server software so it can be not only turned off on the device but through a policy that would also restrict it as well.
After all anyone that would want to secure a BB would have to have thier own BB server so they can push down policies if they don't than they can't secure anything on it anyway if they dont have one.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:28 AM   #5
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

They dont force it on you because it can be enabled through the BES profiles and security is the main reason you dont have anything else bluetooth
Old 08-24-2005, 09:14 AM   #6
cthomp81

that really sucks
Old 08-24-2005, 09:18 AM   #7
cthomp81

but you can still hack into them
Old 08-25-2005, 09:43 PM   #8
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomp81
but you can still hack into them
You can hack pretty much anything. Wired networks are harder cause you have to have phsyical access to plug into a network but ANYTHING wireless can be hacked. Microsoft once said it servers where C2 compliant as long as it did not have a NIC or a modem in it. Now wouldn't anything without a NIC or a modem be secure anyway lol. Wireless phones have been hacked WITHOUT bluetooth even being on the phone, phones have been cloned also.

I am in the IT field and anyone in the IT field that says thier network can't be hacked is a fool plain and simple. Microsoft has put servers outside thier firewall saying how secure it was and they have also been brought down within 20 minutes of going public saying it can't be hacked. RIM is a network and a wireless network at that which means it can be hacked just like the goverment and pretty much any other network has been hacked in the past and will be hacked in the future. I would like to believe a bank has more security in place than RIM has and they get hacked all the time.

I bet if RIM actually went public and said they have never been hacked and it is impossible to hack them that thier network would go down in under 24 hours. Would be surprised if it made it to 10 hours. You know the new bills that were made to reduce conterfit bills they said they CAN"T be reproduced and within a day maybe 2 guess what they were made and shown to the FBI why cause it was said it couldn't be done. Bluetooth is a very low risk cause you have to be within like 50 feet of the device at best most is 30 feet. Other wireless proticals like "g" you could be hundreds of feet away or across the street. Look at Vonage they are coming out with a portable phone and guess what you can pretty much use that anywhere cause no one seems to know how to secure a wireless network. So with ANY unsecured wireless routers you can jump on someones network and use that phone to call anywhere.

I do not beleive it is a security issue as much as it seems only cause guess what just try to get a laptop without a built in wireless NIC now a days. There is more risk with wireless NICs in laptops cause they can be accessed at farther distances than bluetooth to begin with. After all would you be more likley to have a database on a BB or a laptop? But if people went by it is a security risk we wouldn't have the Internet, wireless PCs, wireless phones, or anything like it. After all if we just shutdown the Internet there would be less security risks wouldn't there? Isn't that where pretty much all virus' are from it is not like the old days where you get them from floppys anymore. The real secure stuff for companies DO NOT have internet access and are segmented from the main network to begin with. If someone stores top secret informantion on a BB they should be shot to begin with.

If security is the issue passwords should also be forced without the need for a BES yes it was said that it is for the BES to lock down and inforce a password policy but than agian couldn't the same BES disable bluetooth????? YES IT CAN AND COULD. If all companies where like RIM and dont do things for security there would be NO Internet, NO wireless ANYTHING. Cause after all isn't being on the Internet alone a security risk?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:32 PM   #9
rrteam3

...sounds like bluetooth makers are using 'security' as a cop out for not offering what all other PIMS offer.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:56 AM   #10
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzarcone
If security is the key than why doens't the blackberry force you to have it passworded from the setup? If you drop it or leave it ANYWHERE and no password EVERYTHING is open.
You should know since you are in IT that if the user is on a BES the device can be completely wiped.

Also about policies for disabling BT, what stops the average joe from coming in with his personal BB and transferring files? Nothing is perfect man, but I hope some day we get close.

pink
Closed Thread