Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:44 AM   #21
teleberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I did a little research on this, but haven't tried any of the pay services.

The only voice directions available seem to be TelNav w/subscription for $9.95/month or Wayfinder Navigator which is a single purchase of $99.

They both seem to have pretty good reviews. Wayfinder is a bit Europe biased, I think, being a British company, so US maps may not be ideal.

There is another (British too?) called Nav4all (I think) that presumably is free and has voice directions, but I did try this one and haven't gotten it to work that way yet.

I got a QStar BT-Q818 receicer (WAAS) and it seems to work great. It has (supposedly) better sensitivity and much longer operating life in a very small device (maybe like a pearl folded in half?). It cost around $75 and came with a 10 day free trial for Wayfinder that I haven't tried yet.

Let me know what you settle on and how it works.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #22
dlpisgreat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

I've got the Holux BT-236. It also has WAAS resolution.

Surprised Stintsondog (sp?) hasn't chimed in here yet, but he has a GREAT review of all the GPS applications for Pearl.

For a 30 day free trial, try Mapquest Navigator. For the Pearl, download the Sprint 8103 version. It provides turn by turn directions with voice. Cost will also be $10 a month for its service. It downloads the maps for your route in case you get out of cell service range. BBMaps and Google Maps need cell service to download the maps. It you go off route, it will automatically recalculate the route. It also has a nighttime driving mode that reduces the light output of the display.

Be sure that the program you get keeps the backlight on when navigating. It should be an option.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #23
dlpisgreat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothenbj View Post
I've been trying to research a hands free solution that would increase the volume either by use of a car kit, bluetooth or otherwise. I don't want a wired solution since the idea of gps on my phone was to enable me to carry the gps with me to whatever car I might be driving on a particular day- I've got a few, plus the smaller footprint of the Pearl.
I think the only solution may be the wired headset so you can hear the directions. I, too, would like any speaker output to go to the bluetooth headset when paired. It can be done because the Voice Dialer program does it. Why can't other applications or the device itself. I would listen to more of my music while driving instead of having to hook up the wire.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:56 PM   #24
tch611

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

Hi, I've noticed several posters here are successfully using the Holux 240 with a Pearl 8100 on T-mobile. Does anyone have any tips about how to get this operating. I have paired the device but Google Maps seems to override constantly with its current location. BB Maps seems to work (I see 'GPS Reporting') but the map never recenters or gives any other indication of my location. Any tips?
Closed Thread