BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
serrano_yejo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Question Apple (iPhone) Cingy deal= better for BB owners everywhere?

Please Login to Remove!

Verizon wireless is getting the 8800 in the second Q way ahead of what is expected of a CDMA carrrier, Apple's "rich financial terms" and other demands were the primary reasons that Verizon Wireless, the No. 2 cellphone carrier in the US, passed on the chance to be the exclusive distributor of the iPhone almost two years ago. The USA Today reported that Apple wanted a percentage of the monthly cellphone fees as well as a say over how and where iPhones could be sold. This hints at just how much Apple was, and remains today, in the driver's seat when it came to a potential iPhone deal. While Cingular does have a multi-year exclusive deal with Apple to sell the device, Apple has been responsible for defining the phone's specifications, setting the price, and building the user interface. Apple is also responsible for the decision to not allow any 3rd party applications to be installed on the iPhone, as well as the decision to not include 3G data support in the initial iPhone. The fact that there will only be only on-screen AT&T or AT&T/Cingular branding, and no such markings on the exterior of the iPhone, also shows that this really is Apple's baby, and that Cingular is just happy to have been invited to tag along for the ride.

The contract covers "all models" of the iPhone, including several other devices in the works that may be "coming out very quickly," Lurie said. His comment addressed in part a criticism that the iPhone doesn't use Cingular's new high-speed HSDPA network.

That isn't true worldwide, as Cingular only exists in the US. Apple is free to seek other partners for global distribution, he said. And Apple is also free to build other iPods without phone capability that won't be sold through Cingularxxx8212;though he was unclear on whether a Wi-Fi only version of the iPhone would fall under Cingular's thumb.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs insisted that he have hard control over iPhone distribution as well as sole discretion on warranty and replacement issues.

Getting the calculators out ...If Apple only makes a one-time profit of $50 per unit, and never another cent in the future, we're talking $1.25 billion in profits in 2007. According to Yahoo finance, their trailing 12 months earnings are $1.88 billion -- so if these projections are accurate, this could mean a 66% increase in earnings due to the iPhone!

Saying all this because of earnings RIM must start selling future BB across all carriers equally... if not ... and Come with the 9xxx series before the end of 2007 anything that comes after the iPhone will look outdated (interface, etc.) RIM has to impress everyone.

Last edited by serrano_yejo; 02-13-2007 at 11:18 AM..
Old 02-13-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Interesting read. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Good info.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
bigjay8510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (blackberry 8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Interesting, iphone doesn't do much for me. BlackBerry all the way.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
serrano_yejo

The 5-year agreement for Cingular means no other carrier in the US will be able to sell it until this expires. This has been reported elsewhere , although always with the reservation that it's unofficial (neither Apple nor Cingular want to disclose the terms). RIM can only limit itself here. The more carriers that are offered the more they stand to make off it. I cant imagine apple buffs completely ducking out of a contract with say Verizon (SPRINT, T-MO) to switch to Cingular just for a phone, especially with the great service and/or features of other carriers. And this is the simple and humble point of my post...

Sidenotes:

Apple Deserves a Breakout

RIM Mounts iPhone Defense
Old 02-13-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
serrano_yejo

more?

BlackBerry 8800: Our in-depth, hands-off impressions - infoSync World
Old 02-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309

Good read, not sure why it's been sitting in the 8800 forum all day though.

*moved to Handheld Forum*

Last edited by paulbblc; 02-13-2007 at 09:41 PM..
Old 02-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #8
BoxWave
Platinum Sponsor

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular

Thanks for the read.

Chris-
BoxWave Accessories

Last edited by BoxWave; 03-07-2007 at 07:25 PM..
Old 02-14-2007, 02:08 AM   #9
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Most interesting. I love our being able to follow the progress of the iPhone. This should be a required study in business school.

I'd love to see the contracts between these two and I'd love to have been a fly on the wall on what each side discussed about entering into this deal.

Thanks for the post. Most enjoyable.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:08 AM   #10
hookem12387
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

The iphone still doesnt strike me as a competitor to the blackberry. People love the easy messaging of the bb, and I just dont see that coming out of a touchscreen.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:34 PM   #11
DarkCobra
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: 3306BEB2
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem12387 View Post
The iphone still doesnt strike me as a competitor to the blackberry. People love the easy messaging of the bb, and I just dont see that coming out of a touchscreen.

This is true, the iPhone is in a realm of it's own i think...it's a huge hype right now, but i don't see it being all that when it comes out honestly...

I think from the looks of it, i'll stick with my BB or Treo..

Devices:
BlackBerry Bold 9650
BlackBerry Playbook
iPhone 4S 32GB
HTC DROID Incredible 2
Old 04-19-2007, 08:59 AM   #12
coldconfession13
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9550
PIN: 30fd8208
Carrier: Verizon

wonder if you will be able to unlock the iphone to use on tmo
Old 04-21-2007, 10:35 AM   #13
CanuckBB

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrano_yejo View Post
Getting the calculators out ...If Apple only makes a one-time profit of $50 per unit, and never another cent in the future, we're talking $1.25 billion in profits in 2007. According to Yahoo finance, their trailing 12 months earnings are $1.88 billion -- so if these projections are accurate, this could mean a 66% increase in earnings due to the iPhone!
That's works out to 25 million phones. Not gonna happen.

Apple was in the unique position to turn the US market on it's head. They should have sold them UNLOCKED at Apple stores and let the consumer decide on carrier. That couls have started the ball rolling for a rest-of-the-world model of phone sales. Instead that locked in with a single carrie in the US because the back end on the visual voice mail needs to be special.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:11 PM   #14
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
That's works out to 25 million phones. Not gonna happen.

Apple was in the unique position to turn the US market on it's head. They should have sold them UNLOCKED at Apple stores and let the consumer decide on carrier. That couls have started the ball rolling for a rest-of-the-world model of phone sales. Instead that locked in with a single carrie in the US because the back end on the visual voice mail needs to be special.

are you serious? yeah a company that has never done a phone goes out and releases one that is open to all networks, all technologies...yeah that will succeed? think of the issues that would go along with support of all these different technologies, some networks need sim cards some dont and on and on.

Apple prides itself on having strict control on how their products are used (except the appletv) and they limit the variable to improve the experience.
So I think you are way off on your theories as to Apple's business model in the phone industry.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #15
CanuckBB

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
are you serious? yeah a company that has never done a phone goes out and releases one that is open to all networks, all technologies...yeah that will succeed? think of the issues that would go along with support of all these different technologies, some networks need sim cards some dont and on and on.

Apple prides itself on having strict control on how their products are used (except the appletv) and they limit the variable to improve the experience.
So I think you are way off on your theories as to Apple's business model in the phone industry.
Get a clue. An unlocked phone, by definition, implies GSM. They have that. They chose to follow everybody's business model. It's disapointing from Apple.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #16
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
Get a clue. An unlocked phone, by definition, implies GSM. They have that. They chose to follow everybody's business model. It's disapointing from Apple.
I truely think you missed the point of my post. TO sell a unlocked US GSM phone would open it to what Tmobile & Cingular? I thought you were trying to make it sound like they should make it available to every carrier worldwide. As I said apple has a history of keep tight control on their products, and going into a new market why would you think they would change that? I agree with you that they could have had the potential to do some great things if they opened it up to all GSM carriers woldwide but to just open it up for Tmobile I think is not worth it for them right now, maybe version 2 could change that entirely.

I did not mean touch a nerve but as an Apple fan and longtime user, they rarely jump into something without strict control on every aspect of it.