BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
miclev

Model: 9500
Carrier: orange
Default Trackball

Please Login to Remove!

I have a Pearl. I am very happy with my phone, but I had many problems with the trackball. I bought a second Pearl, and I encountered identical problems. Sometime I can't move left, right, up or down. Sometime I can’t push (when I push, nothing happens). Sometime it is even worst. The phone get crazy and works by itself : it makes calls ,sends sms, or other things.
Today it sent 15 sms to the same person!
Reading 8800 threads, it doesn't seem many users complain about this problem.
I believe the trackball is the same on Pearl and 8800 Were they able to improve the trackball quality? It is very strange they have dropped the trackweel that was troubles free, with the trackball if it makes so many problems. I believe I didn't buy the only two units with these problems
Old 04-24-2007, 01:05 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Never had that stuff happen. I have, occasionally, had the track ball quit scrolling one direction or another. Usually, blowing a little air on it or pushing and scrolling at the same time and whatever lint got in there, gets pushed out. It's been a very trouble free phone. When it's in my pocket I just push and hold the mute button for a second and it goes into standby. That prevents anything from happening on the phone when it's in my pocket.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
Maverickster
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I don't have either of those particular problems, but I am concerned about the trackball's longevity. My 8800 is about 3 weeks old, and while it's not dirty, it does roll "unevenly". That is, it doesn't feel perfectly round. So, sometimes, it's easier to depress (because the trackball is "raised" above where I *think* it ought to be) and sometimes it's extremely difficult to depress (because the trackball is "lower" than where it should be).

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone else know if there's a way to easily fix it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:45 AM   #4
Willie115
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: mEowmIx

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclev View Post
I have a Pearl. I am very happy with my phone, but I had many problems with the trackball. I bought a second Pearl, and I encountered identical problems. Sometime I can't move left, right, up or down. Sometime I can’t push (when I push, nothing happens). Sometime it is even worst. The phone get crazy and works by itself : it makes calls ,sends sms, or other things.
Today it sent 15 sms to the same person!
Reading 8800 threads, it doesn't seem many users complain about this problem.
I believe the trackball is the same on Pearl and 8800 Were they able to improve the trackball quality? It is very strange they have dropped the trackweel that was troubles free, with the trackball if it makes so many problems. I believe I didn't buy the only two units with these problems
Dunno why the trackball is so troublesome for you, I've had no problems lately, I've used a phone with a trackwheel and it's so hard in my opinion... maybe you've just had some bad luck =\
Old 04-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Really? The wheels have always been very easy, provide tactile feedback (you know how far you're scrolling without even looking), worked really well with the BB OS and browser, and have always been very reliable for me. Guess it depends on what you're used to...

The trackball works fine for me. I don't see much advantage to it aside from using the browser in desktop view. Scrolling and selecting text (especially horizintally) is definitely much slower but I haven't touched the trackball settings yet.

Last edited by takeshi; 04-25-2007 at 09:46 AM..
Old 05-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #6
Kenai
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default my fix

I had this problem every time I removed the battery. When iniserting battery, handheld booted and trackball did not work. I pressed the power button off and back on and BINGO, the trackball worked again. Wierd, I know, but worked for me.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
cmikepee

Carrier: Cingular

this is the exact same thing that is happening to me! have you had any luck. i tried bringing it in to the Cingular store, but of course as soon as i tried to show him what was wrong the damn phone was acting normal. This all seemed to happen after i tried deleting an application from the handheld instead of using the desktop manager.

Can anyone tell me how to restore my phone to the original factory settings? Meaning all software back to the original. If i can do that, I can hopefully narrow down if it's something with the software, or just a faulty scroll ball
Old 05-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Jeff.H
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8110
Carrier: The "new" AT&T.... same old Cingular

I just got an 8800 for myself and an 8100 for my wife 2 days ago and I think I need to swap out my 8800 for another one. The trackball is loose in the socket and many times doesn't scroll consistently. The one on her 8100 is perfect and feels like a trackball should.

Anyone else have this issue on an 8800?
Old 05-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
g0d0t

Model: 8300
PIN: S AND NEEDLES!
Carrier: at&t

I'm having the loose trackball problem on my new pearl. My wife also has one and it feels really solid but mine moves around a lot in the socket. I'm going to take it today and try to get an exchange. It works fine, it just bugs me.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
scotthwilliams

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Trackball Issue RESOLUTION

I just spent 2 hours with T-Mobile support to fix a trackball that would not move the cursor down.
They had me restore the software to factory settings by going into OPTIONS/SECURITY/WIPE HANDHELD.

WARNING -- DO NOT DO THIS!!!!
It does not work, and you spend an hour restoring your unit with the data backed up (hopefully backed up)

The simple answer I found and applied from another forum -- just wipe the trackball with a lint-free cloth moistened with any of the following solvents to remove skin oils from the ball and internal rollers...
1) denatured alcohol
2) rubbing alcohol
3) Window Cleaner (Windex, Invisible Glass actually is denatured alcohol base)
4) Vodka -- this helps the USER as well.

Seriously, save the time on the phone and just wipe the ball ensuring complete 360 degree surface coverage about once per month.

Last edited by scotthwilliams; 10-17-2007 at 06:18 PM..
Old 10-29-2007, 03:57 AM   #11
blackytr

Model: 8300
Carrier: Vodafone

maybe WD40 also can solve this problem
Old 10-29-2007, 12:02 PM   #12
farmerjoe

Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell

The trackball relies on friction to operate... I wouldn't advise using a lubricant for cleaning.

I used vodka as mentioned above (it was readily available) - it worked like a charm.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:39 PM   #13
rjansen3
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Default My only issue here is,

that my thumbs are pretty big, I have gotten used to the keys, but sometimes, I still find myself wishing the ball was a little bigger. overall, I still really love my 8830!

Motorola i710 , i730 , i860 , i930
7100i , 8830 , 8330
Old 10-29-2007, 02:14 PM   #14
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthwilliams View Post
I just spent 2 hours with T-Mobile support to fix a trackball that would not move the cursor down.
They had me restore the software to factory settings by going into OPTIONS/SECURITY/WIPE HANDHELD.

WARNING -- DO NOT DO THIS!!!!
It does not work, and you spend an hour restoring your unit with the data backed up (hopefully backed up)

The simple answer I found and applied from another forum -- just wipe the trackball with a lint-free cloth moistened with any of the following solvents to remove skin oils from the ball and internal rollers...
1) denatured alcohol
2) rubbing alcohol
3) Window Cleaner (Windex, Invisible Glass actually is denatured alcohol base)
4) Vodka -- this helps the USER as well.

Seriously, save the time on the phone and just wipe the ball ensuring complete 360 degree surface coverage about once per month.
Don't carry the device in your pocket. that is where it picks up the dirt and lint.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:18 PM   #15
cek151
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: sprint

this just happend to me.i deleted facebook and on the reboot my trackball when crazy started to open and close programs bye it self.then the trackball will go left right and up and down but it will not enter anything i scroll to.iam sending the phone back to rim for a new one.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #16
mattk0
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Don't carry the device in your pocket. that is where it picks up the dirt and lint.
Yea, I'm a pocket carrier and see this issue. Normally, I just have to roll the ball around for a bit and it eventually clears out the dirt or whatever crap got in it..
Old 11-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #17
battlehawk

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmo
Default fix for pearl 8100 trackball issue

i just had the same problem with my trackball. i can move down but not scroll up.

solution:

taking purell disinfectant, i put a small drop on my finger tip and moved the trackball in all directions. i figured there was dirt that needed to be removed. using purell (alcohol based) it removed the dirt inside fixing the problem.

hope this works for you all.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:03 AM   #18
Jase88
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackytr View Post
maybe WD40 also can solve this problem
I wouldn't recommend this. WD40 is too harsh to use on the materials used in a Blackberry.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #19
Jase88
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility

The trackball--as mentioned--uses friction (its not optical). Simply ensure you store the device in clean areas (not pockets). And use clean fingers when operating it.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #20
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Don't carry the device in your pocket. That is where it picks up the dirt and lint.
Dubdub has it the nail on the head (or the trackball). If it picks up lint, it will hang up. And a new BlackBerry will do the same thing.

Quote:
Don't carry the device in your pocket. That is where it picks up the dirt and lint.
Quote:
Quote:
Closed Thread