Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
mwvt9

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Multiple calenders

Please Login to Remove!

I have recently upgraded to version 4.5.0.15 of desktop manager. After I did I noticed that I was having mulitple instances of the same appoints when syncing my work calender.

They are color coded and linked to different email addresses. Does anybody know how to turn off this feature?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
mwvt9

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Nobody else has had this problem?
Old 07-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwvt9 View Post
I have recently upgraded to version 4.5.0.15 of desktop manager. After I did I noticed that I was having mulitple instances of the same appoints when syncing my work calender.

They are color coded and linked to different email addresses. Does anybody know how to turn off this feature?
Oh yeah.... Over and over again as I struggled to get my device set up properly and deal with an IT policy generously sent my way by the University I work for. But.... I'm not running 4.5.0.15. I'm still on 4.3.0.127.

The problem may not actually be related to the 4-5 OS.

I read that each email address you sync with will trigger a calendar of it’s own. There are a number of things you can do, (in 4-3) to hide, remove or delete calendar entries. Try this.... backup/restore in DTMgr, then choose advanced, scroll down to calendar entries and highlight the data, then choose remove and all your calendar entries will be removed. Set your sync to write from the desktop to the device only; then resync to put only the entries on your device you want.

You can also set one calendar to be the default; or you can remove one calendar.

Gary
Old 07-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
SGTB
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: Verizom

Thanks for the info on that, was wondering how to take care of that. But also if i happen to put another appointment around the same time it comes up with another color, but only one will show up on my Today screen and that gets a bit confusing.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTB View Post
Thanks for the info on that, was wondering how to take care of that. But also if i happen to put another appointment around the same time it comes up with another color, but only one will show up on my Today screen and that gets a bit confusing.

First back up.....

Then...
Spend some time looking at:

Calendar "service books" (options/advanced options/service book---look for entries with [CICAL] these are calendar books and can be deleted;

Default calendar selection, (options/advanced options/default services/calendar)---highlight the calendar choice and then select the one you want to be the default);

"Select calendar" option, (Calendar/menu key/Select Calendar) Here you can select the calendar you want see but unless you change the default, the program will return to the "all calendars" setting the next time you start your calendar;

"Calendar Options" (Calendar/menu key/ options/) Here you can browse various calendar options and also highlight each of your calendars and check to see how many entries each one has (invaluable to me in sorting out problems with syncing and how many duplicates I had). You can also change the color of the entries for each calendar through a limited list of color options. This is important so you can identify where they are coming from.

"DTMgr advanced options" Go to Backup/Restore in DTMgr, then choose "advanced", scroll down to "calendar entries" and highlight the data; choose remove and all your calendar entries will be removed. This is the easiest and cleanest way to remove entries from you calendar without wiping the device. Then with a resync set to overwrite the device from the desktop you should get a clean update of your calendar without much trouble. Don't forget to reset the sync process back to "both" directions.

These processes and parts, all interact so getting to know them and what they can do for you is what helped me finally solve the multiple calendar problem.

The duplicate calendars and calendar entries are solvable but it takes some patience and familiarity with the options your BB gives you. The good news is that once you get it set up, it works well and now mine requires very little maintenance.

Good luck!

Gary

One last piece of advice that took me a long time to latch onto: When navigating to any screen, regardless of what path you followed to get there, check to see if there are new options or choices via the "menu" key. I overlooked this for some time and missed choices and options I needed but couldn't find.

Last edited by Roll; 07-10-2008 at 11:37 AM..
Old 07-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
stnkyq2

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
First back up.....

Then...
Spend some time looking at:

Calendar "service books" (options/advanced options/service book---look for entries with [CICAL] these are calendar books and can be deleted;

Default calendar selection, (options/advanced options/default services/calendar)---highlight the calendar choice and then select the one you want to be the default);

"Select calendar" option, (Calendar/menu key/Select Calendar) Here you can select the calendar you want see but unless you change the default, the program will return to the "all calendars" setting the next time you start your calendar;

"Calendar Options" (Calendar/menu key/ options/) Here you can browse various calendar options and also highlight each of your calendars and check to see how many entries each one has (invaluable to me in sorting out problems with syncing and how many duplicates I had). You can also change the color of the entries for each calendar through a limited list of color options. This is important so you can identify where they are coming from.

"DTMgr advanced options" Go to Backup/Restore in DTMgr, then choose "advanced", scroll down to "calendar entries" and highlight the data; choose remove and all your calendar entries will be removed. This is the easiest and cleanest way to remove entries from you calendar without wiping the device. Then with a resync set to overwrite the device from the desktop you should get a clean update of your calendar without much trouble. Don't forget to reset the sync process back to "both" directions.

These processes and parts, all interact so getting to know them and what they can do for you is what helped me finally solve the multiple calendar problem.

The duplicate calendars and calendar entries are solvable but it takes some patience and familiarity with the options your BB gives you. The good news is that once you get it set up, it works well and now mine requires very little maintenance.

Good luck!

Gary

One last piece of advice that took me a long time to latch onto: When navigating to any screen, regardless of what path you followed to get there, check to see if there are new options or choices via the "menu" key. I overlooked this for some time and missed choices and options I needed but couldn't find.
You took the words out of my mouth! I was just typing something similar to this.............
Old 07-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
fortnotes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Angry

[QUOTE=Roll;1009686]

I am confused here. I just updated to 4.5.0.52, and I suddenly have two calendars. One is called "Device Default", and it has all my appointments. The other one is empty, and is named by my BIS e-mail address. If I go to the location you mentioned above, I can not change the default to anything other than the empty one named for my e-mail address. If I delete the service book for that one, I have one calendar and all works well. However, I don't think I can prevent that service book from getting sent to me again.

Why is there a calendar associated with a BIS e-mail account? And why can't I tell my BB that I want "Device Default" to be my default calendar?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #8
fortnotes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

[QUOTE=fortnotes;1025287]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post

I am confused here. I just updated to 4.5.0.52, and I suddenly have two calendars. One is called "Device Default", and it has all my appointments. The other one is empty, and is named by my BIS e-mail address. If I go to the location you mentioned above, I can not change the default to anything other than the empty one named for my e-mail address. If I delete the service book for that one, I have one calendar and all works well. However, I don't think I can prevent that service book from getting sent to me again.

Why is there a calendar associated with a BIS e-mail account? And why can't I tell my BB that I want "Device Default" to be my default calendar?
So, does nobody else have this problem? No insights?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:40 PM   #9
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Try this...

Delete your email on the BIS site. Hook up your BB to the DM open the “Back up and Restore” then go to advanced, then go to the box on the right hand side “device database” Clear the calendar entries. Disconnect the BB from the DM remove the battery with the BB powered on; leave it off for a minute or two. Put the battery back in, re-enter the email account(s) into the above BIS website, if your have more then one email account go into options and choose which one you want to be your default. Re-sync your BB.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:41 PM   #10
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Each email account you have is associated with a calendar...
Old 12-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #11
Scottsea

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

zerog46, for the record, your instructions fixed the problem for me.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:33 AM   #12
newberry52
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (Curve)

I have three calendars on my BB, which really bugged me initially. I never experienced duplicate entries, though. I recently decided to take advantage of them since I didn't have a zillion appointments anyway. I assigned each the color of my choice and related it to a different aspect of my life. It really helps a lot when I can select the calendar for my personal appointments or my dad's doctor appointments and quickly see what is scheduled, even a couple of months from now without scrolling, scrolling, scrolling. Yes, I know I can go to the date, but I don't always know the date for which the event is scheduled. Knowing which aspect of my life it fits narrows things down and I can go straight to that calendar.

Last edited by newberry52; 12-12-2008 at 08:36 AM..
Old 12-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #13
snape

Carrier: vzw

Is there a way to sync these multiple calendars with Outlook? Right now only my default calendar will sync. Which is fine, really, but if I could get more than 1 to sync that might be a nice feature.

Thanks for any help.
Closed Thread