BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT
Default Data stops working often on 8800.

Please Login to Remove!

I have this annoying problem about once a day. I am in different areas with 5 bars. When browsing the web or using ggogle maps etc the data will stop. There are no data arrows. BB says EDGE The browser will not receive data, emails sit in pending state. In order to fix this I have to power it off and back on or pull the battery. I switched from tmobile to cingular. I never had this problem on tmobile with other Blackberrys. I know that our helpdesk gets calls from time to time where users don't get email (8700,7290,7230s etc) so they have to reset their device and everything flows in. Is this normal?
If my 8800 just sits idle I don't have this problem. I will admit I have been using the heck out of it the last week.

If I don't reset it or power it off and just turn off the wireless it will come back with EDGE as edge until I reset it or power it off.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Forgot to add the sms and phone work fine when this happens.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
mjcostajr

Model: 8800c
Carrier: AT&T

I have also been encountering this problem. More than once a day my 8800 randomly goes back and forth from GSM to EDGE. I am in a city area and should not have any problems getting service. Is this happening to anyone else or is it a hardware issue?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
briank555
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: at&t

I've also experienced my browsing will just decide to stop all together. I tend to use Opera most of the time but even when I use the BB browser, still nothing happens. I'll see the two up and down arrows going, and I'm at almost full bars with EDGE showing but nadda.

I've done resets to get it working again...

Forgot to add, I do clear the cache as well before resetting.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Thats what happens to me it stays on EDGE. Must be a bug. I find turning the power off and on will fix it. It is faster and easier then resetting.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
TomN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: I'm not supposed to play with sharp things.

Call Cingular support and have them push the internet service books to your BB. I had this problem earlier this week and this fixed it. Haven't had a problem losing data connection since Tuesday.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #7
*&))
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

when the 8700 first came out in my area this happened a few time and once the service book was updated it was the fix
Old 03-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Can you do this from the website or do you have to call them? Also my corporate email etc stops too.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #9
TomN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371
Can you do this from the website or do you have to call them? Also my corporate email etc stops too.
I had to call them. You might need to call a few times to get someone that knows what they are doing though. The first guy I talked to told me to just return the phone since it was only a couple weeks old.

On a side note, I was given the number for Cingular's BB support line, but kept getting sent to the main support line no matter which choice I made in the phone menu. Was pretty annoying.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

I called them and she resent the service books and I got activation emails for all 5 of my email accounts. I also did this from the BIS webpage with the same results. I asked her if this is the same as sending the SB from the BIS website and she said yes.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
TomN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I called them and she resent the service books and I got activation emails for all 5 of my email accounts. I also did this from the BIS webpage with the same results. I asked her if this is the same as sending the SB from the BIS website and she said yes.
I asked her about that when she resent mine because I did not receive any emails. The tech told me it was because she was sending the internet service books and not the email service books. She told me that they were different.

And the tech that did this was not the regular tech but one from their mobile computing area. Will probably have to ask for someone that knows how a Blackberry actually works, as opposed to someone that only knows how to spell it.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #12
mjcostajr

Model: 8800c

Would this problem occur from switching sim cards between phones or is it random depending on cingular's network?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #13
nef
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: 240c22c

From what I overstand the issue is with the 3g rollout. For some reason or other some device (not just blackberries) get "stuck" bouncing between a tower with 3g and one with edge. We were having this issue here where I work and when the site engineers came out that is the explanationb they gave. Resending the service book gives it that proverbial kick and unsticks. That's partially why it will typically work after a reset. Of course this could all be just smoke they blew at me. We cingular guys are routinely treated as mushrooms.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:28 PM   #14
nef

Sorry duped

Last edited by nef; 03-02-2007 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: dupe, sent from bb
Old 03-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #15
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

So nef yours would stay in EDGE mode but your data stopped flowing? I resent all the service books and that did'nt really fix it so I reloaded the firmware if it happens again I guess I will have to deal with it. Seems to only happen when I am doing a lot of data tranfers such as web browsing or google maps..
Old 03-02-2007, 08:09 PM   #16
TomN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nef
From what I overstand the issue is with the 3g rollout. For some reason or other some device (not just blackberries) get "stuck" bouncing between a tower with 3g and one with edge. We were having this issue here where I work and when the site engineers came out that is the explanationb they gave. Resending the service book gives it that proverbial kick and unsticks. That's partially why it will typically work after a reset. Of course this could all be just smoke they blew at me. We cingular guys are routinely treated as mushrooms.
Hmm i don't know.. sounds fishy to me. Basically because there is no 3g in my area at all.

But then again, I'm not a Cingular tech so perhaps there is something I don't know... but just in case I'll check to see if I get any 3g signal with my 8525.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #17
nef

Quote:
So nef yours would stay in EDGE mode but your data stopped flowing? I resent all the service books and that did'nt really fix it so I reloaded the firmware if it happens again I guess I will have to deal with it. Seems to only happen when I am doing a lot of data tranfers such as web browsing or google maps..
Mine would change to the lowercase edge and I would lose data. To be clear here, I work for Cingular doing sales, so it wasn't just my phone (although it has happened to my 8525 and my blackjack as well) this was happening to quite a few of our customers, which I imagine is why they sent out someone to verify. It seems that our store is equal distance from 2 towers. 1 edge and 1 3g. The devices were just getting stuck in registering to one of the towers. To this day it still happens every so often, though mostly with the 3g devices and data type devices which seem to support the explanation they gave. So from my overstanding it is a known issue that is being worked on.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #18
nef

I'm not saying that I totally buy it, won't be the first time I was given a semi-reasonable sounding answer just to shut me up. I will say that this issue started to be noticed (round here at least. NY Tri-State area) initially amongst 3g handset owners in areas where the towers were being updated or had been upgraded. Just sharing the info I was given.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #19
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

I've always tended to have this type of issue with Cingular. Have had BB on Tmo and Nextel without disconnect problems.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #20
TomN
Thumbs Must Hurt

I did have this problem with my 8525 when I was in Chicago and putting it only on the 3g band fixed it, but I checked here at home and I get no 3g signal whatsoever.

When your BB stops working, try using the Cingular Browser to access Media net and see if that fixes the problem. It's the only thing that would get mine working again without popping out the battery. If I turned the radio off and on it would only come up to a lowercase edge unless I accessed Media Net or popped the battery.

But like I said, they sent the internet service books to me yesterday morning and mine has been solid since.
Closed Thread