Old 01-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
George Burdell
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: N/A
PIN: N/A
Carrier: N/A
Default Activation Without BlackBerry.net

Please Login to Remove!

I am a developer working on a product that is meant to work with blackberry, and am having difficulty with the activation because it seems to require a hole in the firewall.

* My BESx 5.x server is inaccessible from the outside

* My BB bold does have tcp/ip access to BESx

* My BESx instance is capable of delivering emails directly to a user through the admin interface.

* Even with the ip address of the server specified in the activation request, no entries are generated in the router process' log file.

* Asking the admin console to send an activation email does NOT result in a new email in the user's mailbox.

Any ideas?

thanks,
George
Old 01-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
wunderbar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Telus
Default Re: Activation Without BlackBerry.net

the BES has to be able to talk to the outside world, since it must be able to communicate with RIM's servers. There is no way around this.
Blackberry 9630
WES 2008 Alumni
Old 01-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
George Burdell

SOLVED

Activation using Blackberry Desktop Software on Windows (but not Mac) using bare metal (not a VM) "works".
Old 01-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
wunderbar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Telus

You can activate the device via USB, but you wont' be able to send/receive email with it. the BlackBerry Enterprise Server requires a connection to the outside world, as all data goes through RIM's servers. You cannot have an internal only BES setup.
Blackberry 9630
WES 2008 Alumni
Old 01-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

You can have a WiFI local LAN only setup to use the device like a pager.

Look at these two KBs

KB04204-How to perform a WLAN enterprise activation process

KB13296-SMTP settings for wireless activation of Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphones over a Wi-Fi connection
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
George Burdell

As I understand it, performing a "WiFi" activation means that the device will contact RIM's servers using the wifi network, at which point pretty much everything else is the same: RIM sends an SMTP message to the exchange server, which is picked up by BES, which establishes a tcp connection on 3101 to the handheld, and then magic happens.

Unfortunately, it does not appear as though activation by any means other than USB is possible without the data going through one of RIM's servers.

Please feel free to correct any egregious errors above -- I am still working on seeing the forest for the trees.

cheers,
George
Old 01-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

If you perform a wifi activation, and, your BB is in a network which has a connection to the BES server, and you specify an smtp/exchange server in the BES control-panel, which also is connected to the BES server, and, you have setup your BES correct for WiFi activation
(see here:
Option 5: Activating BlackBerry devices over an enterprise Wi-Fi network - Administration Guide - BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express for Microsoft Exchange - 5.0.1
)

The Handheld will send an etp.dat to the BES via WiFi, which will then redirect this to use your internal smtp server to send the etp.dat message to the email system. No external connectivity is required.

I just rechecked this with my device, by blocking the devices Wifi access to the internet, and disabled the Mobile network.
The etp.dat arrives in the inbox, and, is generated by the IP of the BES.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
George Burdell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody7290 View Post
...If you perform a wifi activation, and, your BB is in a network which has a connection to the BES server, and you specify an smtp/exchange server in the BES control-panel
I had, in fact, failed to perform that step (owing to my own apparent inability to read) -- however, the behavior remains.

Wireshark shows a single TCP packet (SYN) come in on port 53164 from the handheld to the server. The server responds with a single TCP packet (SYN/RESET), and the connection terminates. No traffic is generated to the mail server.

The administration interface is capable of sending random emails to the user (User->Manage users->John Doe->Send message to user). The emails show up in Jon Doe's inbox. However, when "Generate an activation email" is used, the mail-server is not contacted, and no email is ever sent.

For the fun of it, I have tried rebooting the BES machine to ensure that the configuration changes were recognized.

I greatly appreciate all the community support, and sincerely hope our product is well-received.

-George
Old 01-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
nobody7290

What kind of product are you developing ?

You cannot WiFi activate a handheld which is only running BIS services
Make sure, the email adresses, port, and password you set in the BES control panel is valid for sending an email (setup a pop/smtp client, and try with the same credentials to send an email to the user)

you wrote:
"however, when "Generate an activation email" is used, the mail-server is not contacted, and no email is ever sent"
This rather looks like a setup problem of the BES server. If the BES server is unable to put an email in the users mailbox using MAPI, its unlikely that the setup is correct.

Have you done everything which is written here:
Preinstallation tasks - Installation and Configuration Guide - BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange - 5.0.2

Especially regarding the exchange server preparation ?
What messaging server, and, which version are you running ?

Edit: In your original post, you mentioned, that:
"because it seems to require a hole in the firewall"
This is not entirely correct. The BES connectivity requirements are that outgoing (and, related incoming) connections for the BES server are allowed to destination port 3101. So, this is not exactly what I would call a hole in the firewall.

Last edited by nobody7290; 01-29-2011 at 08:46 AM..
Old 01-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
George Burdell

Quote:
What kind of product are you developing ?
I'm afraid I'm not allowed to answer that question just yet.

Quote:
You cannot WiFi activate a handheld which is only running BIS services
My BES machine (VM container running BES on windows server 2008) is running all blackberry services (information store, administration service, ...)

Quote:
Make sure, the email adresses, port, and password you set in the BES control panel is valid for sending an email (setup a pop/smtp client, and try with the same credentials to send an email to the user)
I'm not entirely certain what you mean here -- which password?

Quote:
you wrote:
"however, when "Generate an activation email" is used, the mail-server is not contacted, and no email is ever sent"
This rather looks like a setup problem of the BES server. If the BES server is unable to put an email in the users mailbox using MAPI, its unlikely that the setup is correct.
One point of clarification: the BES server CAN send emails...just not activation emails. In the administration service, there is an option to send an email to a user. Doing so results in proper email delivery. Requesting an activation email does not appear to generate any TCP traffic at all.

Quote:
Have you done everything which is written here:
(URL Omitted because I have made fewer than 15 posts)
Sadly, I can't answer that question. The server was set up by a consultant who was supposed to solve these problems for us. With regards to Exchange, please bear in mind that Exchange functions properly, and BES is quite capable of delivering email directly to it...Just not if it is an activation email.

Quote:
What messaging server, and, which version are you running ?
We are using BES Express 5.0.2.29.
Microsoft Exchange 2007
Windows Server 2008
All have been fully updated.

Quote:
The BES connectivity requirements are that outgoing (and, related incoming) connections for the BES server are allowed to destination port 3101.
In our current setup, TCP SYN packets from RIM to us are blocked. SYN packets from us to RIM are permitted. Bi-directional TCP traffic on 3101 is permitted. Requesting an enterprise activation email, however, BES doesn't seem to generate any TCP traffic.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
nobody7290

Quote:
I'm afraid I'm not allowed to answer that question just yet.

Just send a PM - nobody but me will know then !

Quote:
My BES machine (VM container running BES on windows server 2008) is running all blackberry services (information store, administration service, ...)

If the Handheld is on BIS service (this is the consumer webmail only blackberry version), then you cannot use WiFi activation - Ask your wireless provider about how they provisioned the handheld: BIS or BES or both of them ? You need BES.
-----

Quote:
I'm not entirely certain what you mean here -- which password

The besadmin user, must have an exchange inbox (if not, then you have a problem), and a password.
In the BES controlpanel on the Server, under wireless activation, enter these credentials, together with the primary email address of the besadmin user. Then, the BES is able to send smtp email needed for the Wifi Enterprise activation

-----

Quote:
One point of clarification: the BES server CAN send emails...just not activation emails. In the administration service, there is an option to send an email to a user. Doing so results in proper email delivery. Requesting an activation email does not appear to generate any TCP traffic at all.

Exchange will accept email for a valid user for most senders, so this might work.

However, the "Activation email" the BES sends, i think this is AFAIK done using MAPI (I am not 100% sure about, but someone else, please correct me if I am wrong).
This "Activation mail" contains a greeting message, and, the one-time activation code. Dont mix up this "activation mail" with the activation message the Device sends to the Server.
Still, als long as the "Activation mail" does not arrive in the inbox of the user, something is not setup correct with your Exchange and BES. Even If exchange might work perfect, this does not mean everything is setup correct.
therefore:
You should go/your admin shoud go again through all these steps like outlined here:
Preinstallation tasks - Installation and Configuration Guide - BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange - 5.0.2

-----------
Quote:
In our current setup, TCP SYN packets from RIM to us are blocked. SYN packets from us to RIM are permitted. Bi-directional TCP traffic on 3101 is permitted. Requesting an enterprise activation email, however, BES doesn't seem to generate any TCP traffic.

The BES will not generate any traffic when an entprise activation is done. An email generated from the Handheld will be send using SMTP to the inbox of the user. The Server will then fetch this via MAPI from the connected Exchange system. Only if this has happend, it will try to communicate with the Handheld through the RIM datacenter or Wifi.
------

on the BES server, login as the besadmin account,
open a commandline
got the /programs/Reserch in Motion/Blackberry Enterprise Server/utilities
directory, and, execute the "iemstest.exe" program.
choose a some user, then click ok.

What is the result of the test?

Last edited by nobody7290; 01-31-2011 at 01:49 PM..
Old 01-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
George Burdell

Quote:
If the Handheld is on BIS service (this is the consumer webmail only
<snip>
I spoke with Verizon customer service regarding this issue -- I'm on BIS. However, as I understand it, BIS/BES really on relates to whether or not push-notifications are sent to your handheld from RIM. I will, eventually, have to receive push notifications, but for now, I don't require them. Does blackberry require push-notifications for a local WiFi activation?

Quote:
The besadmin user, must have an exchange inbox (if not, then you have a problem), and a password.
In the BES controlpanel on the Server, under wireless activation, enter these credentials, together with the primary email address of the besadmin user. Then, the BES is able to send smtp email needed for the Wifi Enterprise activation
I believe them to be properly configured. The reason is that I attempted to send an email to a user through the BB web-based admin console and it failed. I then installed the MAPI/CDO library from MS, and then emails would consistently succeed. BES has demonstrated its ability to send MAPI messages to Exchange. When I request it to send an activation email, it does not generate any TCP traffic of any kind to any server (SMTP, MAPI, or even to RIM).

Quote:
Quote:
<snip>
Requesting an activation email does not appear to generate any TCP traffic at all.

Exchange will accept email for a valid user for most senders, so this might work.

However, the "Activation email" the BES sends, i think this is AFAIK done using MAPI (I am not 100% sure about, but someone else, please correct me if I am wrong).
The Exchange server is on a separate machine. It has to use RPC to execute the MAPI calls. I was definitely watching for SMTP traffic on TCP/25 and did not see any. Also (as mentioned above in this same reply), the emails to users generated from the admin console appear to be executed via MAPI (as they failed to deliver with mysterious Java Native Interface exceptions until I installed the MAPI/CDO libraries).

For some reason I have yet to divine, BES seems unwilling to establish any connection with any server to do anything when an activation email is requested.

Quote:
This "Activation mail" contains a greeting message, and, the one-time activation code. Dont mix up this "activation mail" with the activation message the Device sends to the Server.
Can you recommend a document to read to better understand that distinction? I'm afraid that, for the time being, I am the closest thing to an admin that we have.

Quote:
on the BES server, login as the besadmin account,
open a commandline
got the /programs/Reserch in Motion/Blackberry Enterprise Server/utilities
directory, and, execute the "iemstest.exe" program.
choose a some user, then click ok.
When I tried it with "BESAdmin", it failed with a "Connection Error". When I used dduck (Daffy Duck) it seemed to succeed. After succeeding, however, it pops up a window saying: "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable."

I find that behavior quite puzzling, given that the email I sent is successfully delivered via MAPI. I can then read it, again, via MAPI. I can also read it via OWA and EWS. I can also manually send emails using telnet on TCP/25 and speaking SMTP to it directly. From the perspective of all non-BES clients, Exchange works perfectly. Even from the perspective of BES for administrator-generated emails, it works.

It really appears as though there is some misconfiguration in BES somewhere that causes it to not even attempt communication. I looked through the documents to which you referred me. To the best of my knowledge, everything there was done and/or has been verified to be working.

I really appreciate all the community support. Speaking of which, I believe I have some "Thank[ing]" to do.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
nobody7290

Quote:
I spoke with Verizon customer service regarding this issue -- I'm on BIS. However, as I understand it, BIS/BES really on relates to whether or not push-notifications are sent to your handheld from RIM. I will, eventually, have to receive push notifications, but for now, I don't require them. Does blackberry require push-notifications for a local WiFi activation?
You will not be able to do any kind of wireless activation unless you switch to BES or BES+BIS. You can use BESx + Handhelds which are only using BIS service, but Activation is only possible using USB.
This is not related to Push notification it is just that RIM has made a different system for "consumers" and "enterprise"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg noWififorBISactivation.jpg (58.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by nobody7290; 01-31-2011 at 04:35 PM..
Old 01-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
George Burdell

It does, indeed, state that. I think I'm starting to get a handle on things:

* BIS means that RIM will reject queries/updates/push-requests/foo because you aren't paying them for the push service

* Blackberry software does not include a pull or polling mechanism (presumably so that RIM can sell more subscriptions)

* WiFi activation fails if you are using BIS because your BB will contact BES, which will use its TCP connection (the one it opened OUT of the local network) to RIM on 3101. RIM will then ignore the activation request because you aren't paying them for the push notifications.

* A Blackberry Enterprise activation produces a mapping between the handheld and the SRP. Because RIM's architecture is so heavily push-based, they REQUIRE that mapping to be in place before permitting a successful activation.

* Activation emails are likely not appearing in the user's inbox for one of two reasons: either RIM requires that SMTP work for the target mail-server and sends the email directly from blackberrry.net, or because BES is failing (silently, I might add) in the process before it gets to the point of sending any emails to the user.

If those points are correct, then it only leaves the question of whether or not I have to punch a hole in the firewall for port 25 (SMTP). I'm a developer, and all this is happening in a lab, so I would much prefer not to have to open up the firewall for my little test setup.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
nobody7290

Quote:
* BIS means that RIM will reject queries/updates/push-requests/foo because you aren't paying them for the push service
Bis is also a push service, but it is not BES

Quote:
* Blackberry software does not include a pull or polling mechanism (presumably so that RIM can sell more subscriptions)
It makes sense to push the emails to the handhelds, because, it leverages the device and the user from doing this task. Pushing the email will give the user instant notification and, the *it just works* experience. Without this, there would be no need for RIM.

Quote:
* WiFi activation fails if you are using BIS because your BB will contact BES, which will use its TCP connection (the one it opened OUT of the local network) to RIM on 3101. RIM will then ignore the activation request because you aren't paying them for the push notifications.
If you have only BIS, I think, Wifi actication fails, because the handheld is missing some software

Quote:
* Activation emails are likely not appearing in the user's inbox for one of two reasons: either RIM requires that SMTP work for the target mail-server and sends the email directly from blackberrry.net, or because BES is failing (silently, I might add) in the process before it gets to the point of sending any emails to the user.
You do not need smtp connectivity from outside for the Activation mail. The server sends to the users exchange inbox, but, you need to be on a BES plan to activate a Handheld wireless (Wifi or whatever method without USB).

I think you need the connectivity to port 3101 in any case for the Server. During the installation you are able to verify your SRP. If that works, that should be enough.

Last edited by nobody7290; 01-31-2011 at 06:14 PM..
Old 02-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #16
nobody7290

BIS vs. BES and the Carriers:
My Carrier does not care about wether BIS or BES or both is neded, They basically charge about $10 for the service/Month, and provision the device the way I want.
Then, they charge for the data usage, same price independent of the kind the data is used for.
I once asked them, if RIM charges them different. Answer was YES, BES is a bit more per User, but, the administrative efforts to sell two different Kinds of Blackberry access are more expensive then selling only one plan.
I dont know, what verizon has to pay to RIM, but I guess the differences will not be that much
Old 02-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #17
George Burdell

Quote:
BIS vs. BES and the Carriers:
My Carrier does not care about wether BIS or BES or both is neded, They basically charge about $10 for the service/Month, and provision the device the way I want.
Then, they charge for the data usage, same price independent of the kind the data is used for.
I once asked them, if RIM charges them different. Answer was YES, BES is a bit more per User, but, the administrative efforts to sell two different Kinds of Blackberry access are more expensive then selling only one plan.
I dont know, what verizon has to pay to RIM, but I guess the differences will not be that much
I had a rather long chat with Verizon yesterday and managed to get BES activated on the phone. As it was explained to me, the BES routes have tougher standards from RIM -- more firewalls, higher QOS (presumably), etc. The person to whom I was speaking really didn't know but did use the word "firewalls".

As far as things of which I can convince myself go...charging more for a higher-quality route through the cloud isn't all that insane...I wonder how net-neutrality laws would affect their pricing model.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #18
George Burdell

Quote:
If you have only BIS, I think, Wifi actication fails, because the handheld is missing some software
According to a top-tier tech-support person at Verizon, there isn't anything on the BB itself that would prevent things. Before "Corporate Provisioning" was added to my account, the "Enterprise Activation" option was available to me, and attempts to activate would result in an attempted TCP connection to BES.

Even after corporate provisioning has been added (and verified by looking at the "Service Book"), the same behavior persists:

* BB: Enterprise Activation
* BES: Incoming TCP packet (no payload, just SYN/options/foo)
* BES: TCP reset
* LOGS: Bunch of MDS stuff (it's on DEBUG), talking to SRP

* ADMIN: Send Regular Email through admin console
* EXCH: Flurry of MAPI traffic
* OUTLOOK: Email arrives

* ADMIN: Send "Activation Email"
* BES: chirp...chirp...chirp... (sound of crickets)
* OUTLOOK: (more crickets with a slightly different tempo)
* BB: I think you get the idea

I'm reasonably certain, at this point, that I'm doing something wrong on the BES end.

* I know that MAPI works
* I know that the username/password for the BESAdmin user is right
* I know that everyone has TCP/IP access to one another
* I know that SMTP/MAPI/IMAP/EWS/OWA client-access works to exchange
* I know that BES partitioning has been done by Verizon
* I know that the check-box for "Permit wifi activation" is checked

What I don't know:
* Why does IMSTest fail?
* Why does BES reject the tcp connection from my BB?
* Why, once activated over USB, does the BB not receive/send email?

Quote:
I think you need the connectivity to port 3101 in any case for the Server. During the installation you are able to verify your SRP. If that works, that should be enough.
The MDS logs seem to indicate that the SRP connection is working properly. I'm afraid I'm somewhat inexperienced, but at a glance, it appears to be working:

Quote:
<2011-02-01 11:39:27.281 PST>:[3941]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, existing RSA option = 0 , new RSA option = 0>
<2011-02-01 11:40:16.392 PST>:[3942]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SRP, SRPID = S11111111[TESTBES01:3200], EVENT = Sending, VERSION = 1, COMMAND = INFO, SIZE = 46>
<2011-02-01 11:40:16.392 PST>:[3943]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, Sent health to S11111111[TESTBES01:3200] Health=[0x 0000 0007 0000 0000],Mask=[0x 0000 0007 0000 0000],Load=[56]>
<2011-02-01 11:41:16.681 PST>:[3944]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SRP, SRPID = S11111111[TESTBES01:3200], EVENT = Sending, VERSION = 1, COMMAND = INFO, SIZE = 46>
<2011-02-01 11:41:16.681 PST>:[3945]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, Sent health to S11111111[TESTBES01:3200] Health=[0x 0000 0007 0000 0000],Mask=[0x 0000 0007 0000 0000],Load=[56]>
<2011-02-01 11:42:16.417 PST>:[3946]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SRP, SRPID = S11111111[TESTBES01:3200], EVENT = Sending, VERSION = 1, COMMAND = INFO, SIZE = 46>
<2011-02-01 11:42:16.417 PST>:[3947]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, Sent health to S11111111[TESTBES01:3200] Health=[0x 0000 0007 0000 0000],Mask=[0x 0000 0007 0000 0000],Load=[56]>
<2011-02-01 11:43:16.711 PST>:[3948]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SRP, SRPID = S11111111[TESTBES01:3200], EVENT = Sending, VERSION = 1, COMMAND = INFO, SIZE = 46>
<2011-02-01 11:43:16.711 PST>:[3949]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, Sent health to S11111111[TESTBES01:3200] Health=[0x 0000 0007 0000 0000],Mask=[0x 0000 0007 0000 0000],Load=[56]>
<2011-02-01 11:44:16.683 PST>:[3950]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SRP, SRPID = S11111111[TESTBES01:3200], EVENT = Sending, VERSION = 1, COMMAND = INFO, SIZE = 46>
<2011-02-01 11:44:16.683 PST>:[3951]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, Sent health to S11111111[TESTBES01:3200] Health=[0x 0000 0007 0000 0000],Mask=[0x 0000 0007 0000 0000],Load=[56]>
<2011-02-01 11:44:27.458 PST>:[3952]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, Admin. Task started;>
<2011-02-01 11:44:27.467 PST>:[3953]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, MDSConfiguration updated for :[S11111111[TESTBES01:3200]]. Connection Id :[129]>
<2011-02-01 11:44:27.471 PST>:[3954]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<INFO >:<LAYER = SCM, The database contains incomplete delegation user information>
<2011-02-01 11:44:27.471 PST>:[3955]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<INFO >:<LAYER = SCM, Loaded network provider: 0/Windows/Native>
<2011-02-01 11:44:27.472 PST>:[3956]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<INFO >:<LAYER = SCM, Default network provider : Windows/Native>
<2011-02-01 11:44:27.472 PST>:[3957]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<INFO >:<LAYER = SCM, Initializing network connection cache connPerPrincipal=2 connTimeToLive=300000>
<2011-02-01 11:44:27.472 PST>:[3958]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SRP, Initializing srpServers :[S11111111[TESTBES01:3200]]>
<2011-02-01 11:44:27.472 PST>:[3959]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, Admin. Task- Configuration data>
<2011-02-01 11:44:27.475 PST>:[3960]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, Admin. Task- Retrieve all server hosts values>
<2011-02-01 11:44:27.475 PST>:[3961]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, Admin. Task- refresh group>
<2011-02-01 11:44:27.476 PST>:[3962]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, Admin. Task- PIN-Email mapping rows changed: 0>
<2011-02-01 11:44:27.477 PST>:[3963]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, Admin. Task- refresh user group membership>
<2011-02-01 11:44:27.478 PST>:[3964]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, Admin. Task- HTTP Proxy Mappings>
<2011-02-01 11:44:27.478 PST>:[3965]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, Admin. Task- refresh media management>
<2011-02-01 11:44:27.480 PST>:[3966]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, Admin. Task- Access Control data>
<2011-02-01 11:44:27.480 PST>:[3967]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, Admin. Task- refresh IT policy>
<2011-02-01 11:44:27.481 PST>:[3968]:<MDS-CS_TESTBES01_MDS-CS_1>:<DEBUG>:<LAYER = SCM, Admin. Task Finished>
Also: I think I owe you a beer at this point.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #19
nobody7290

What does the iemstest say - you said, it failed ?

To execute the test, logon to the console or remote-desktop of the BES server, using the name and credentials of the user which runs the BES services.

Then execute the iemstest as this user

You told, you were sucessful activating by USB ? Will mailflow and sync work or not ?

Last edited by nobody7290; 02-01-2011 at 05:08 PM..
Old 02-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #20
George Burdell

RESOLVED:

Corporate Partitioning:
* Verizon claimed corporate partitioning
* The Blackberry tool to check a phone claimed everything was OK
* After speaking to a blackberry rep with my free support ticket, it was discovered that Verizon was simply wrong.

Port Requirements:
* TCP/25 MUST be open to the outside world for ETP messages to arrive from BB.net
Closed Thread