Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
Brent212

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Imperfections with the 8130

Please Login to Remove!

I've been using the 8130, from Sprint, for a little over a week now and I love the phone. The design, size, interface, even SureType... it's all so good. I also love the fact that it has a 3.5 mm headset jack. So nice.

But there are a few problems with it that I'm thinking are deal breakers, so I may send the phone back and either try out a Windows Mobile device (the Mogul is one that looks promising), or just go with another carrier. Here are the things that I think suck about the 8130 (at least with Sprint... the 1st one isn't an issue with Verizon, AFAIK):

1) MMS issues. It doesn't receive 70-80% of the picture messages people send me -- at least with with three friends' phones that I've been using for testing this -- two on AT&T and one on Verizon. Actually, with 1 of the AT&T phones, I can't get any MMS messages to reach the 8130, and that phone sends them fine to the other two phones. I'll send 3 messages from one of the other phones in about a 5 minute time period, all with the same picture, and I'm lucky if the 8130 receives one of them. I also tried just emailing a picture from a phone with email capability, and when the 8130 received it, it said the picture was an "Unknown attachment" and wouldn't let me open it. When I opened the email on my Windows computer to see if there really was a problem with the email, the image file was fine, and even had a .jpg extension. And to send an MMS, you have to do the workaround email to <number>@<carrier_domain> thing, which sucks because I've heard it doesn't always work (some people say it just doesn't work, although I have gotten it to work to the AT&T phones) and you need to know the carrier for the person you're sending to, which isn't horrible, but it's inconvenient.

2) The Web browsers SUCK. I'm sure my expectations were too high... I was basically expecting to be able to do most of the stuff I do on my normal browser at a much smaller resolution with a log more scrolling. But damn, I have yet to have a "browsing session" where I didn't get frustrated by not being able to view something. Tried both the default browser and Opera, and I prefer Opera for viewing pages, but the default browser seems to be able to view more media (I can't get mobile youtube to work on Opera, for instance). PDF files, Word documents (not a biggie, but some website have random stuff in Word format, like maybe a menu from a restaurant website), Flash, animated gifs won't animate (in Opera, even with image quality set to the max), most video files including flv, quicktime (I think) can't be viewed. There just seem to be issues with almost every page I view. I couldn't even log into this blackberry forum because after successfully logging in I wouldn't get redirected, so I'd click the link to manually be redirected, and I'd be put right back at the login screen. Also tried manually entering the forum address instead of clicking the "redirection" link. As far as I can tell, in Opera, there's no way to set a different homepage, and there's no way to copy the address of the page you are currently viewing. There just seems to be dozens of little things like this that bug me.

3) $30 more a month than other smart phones. At least with a Sprint SERO plan, you have to pick one either a $30 "power vision" BB pack, or a $40 BB plan. With other smart phones you get unlimited data without either of these or any sort of required alternative.

4) Battery life sucks. Not horrible, and definitely not a deal breaker, because if I charge it each night it'll make it through the next day, but I could never go two days without charging it, unless I hardly used it both days... maybe. Seems to be an issue with all smart phones though.

5) Low battery LED flashing cannot be disabled. Again, not a big deal, but while I'm putting down all the things I'd like to change with the phone, I might as well include this one. One of my pet peeves is things that use power to let you know they are low on power.

6) Can't view emails in html, as far as I can tell. How can a device that's so revered for its email capabilities (that's my impression of BBs, anyway) be limited to text-only email viewing? While I prefer using only text when I write emails, and would like it if everyone used only text, a lot of emails that I get and actually do want to view are in html and are completely full of images, some containing links. I get daily emails with new real estate listings, for example, that, when opened from Outlook, are basically mini web pages with info about the listings and links for me to go view the listings. If there was just an option to open the email in the browser, that seems like it would do the trick, but all I can see are options to open individual links in the browser, or attachments, not the entire email.

7) No EV-DO rev A support. The Mogul has this. I wonder how much faster that will be...

Other than these problems, this is one awesome phone... I really do love everything else about it and want to keep it, but I just can't get past issues 1 and 2. And 6 is a pretty big one.

Thoughts?
Old 03-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Return it, it's not for you, you will never like it. You are expecting "laptop" performance quality from a handheld.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
ChickenGod
Knows Where the Search Button Is

It's a cell phone. Not a laptop.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I'm going to have to go with the others on this one - the BB is not for you, based on what you want it to do. It is a superior email device first, then a phone, then everything else.

There are some 3rd party apps that you could add that you might like, but nothing to give you everything you want.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

** Moved to Rants and Raves **
Buyer's Remorse...
Old 03-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
markhutchison
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent212 View Post
1) MMS issues.
I think you're right that it's a Sprint issue and not a BlackBerry issue.

Quote:
2) The Web browsers SUCK.
That's life. You may have a better experience with a Windows Mobile device but it still won't hit all of the points that you've listed.

Quote:
3) $30 more a month than other smart phones.
You're at the mercy of the carriers. The BlackBerry network connectivity is different than other smartphone data connections and all carriers have taken this into account when building their pricing.

Quote:
4) Battery life sucks.
You won't see any better performance from a different type of smartphone. If you were to move to a GSM carrier then you may see a difference in battery performance.

Quote:
5) Low battery LED flashing cannot be disabled.
That one actually bothers me too ... I don't need a persistent reminder in the form of a beep or a flash or anything else to remind me that my phone is about to shut down ... tell me once and then back the hell off ... Ah well.

Quote:
6) Can't view emails in html,
It's coming ... and there are some 3rd party options ...
For me personally, however, HTML emails are larger/slower to load and in 99% of the cases the HTML content is either irrelevant or an advertisement. I'm thrilled that the BlackBerrys do not support HTML emails. Even on my desktop PC I don't send HTML content with my emails. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when RIM does start supporting HTML content that I'll have the option to disable it on the device.

Quote:
7) No EV-DO rev A support.
This is another pet peeve of mine. It's not a big issue but it would be nice to have when tethering.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Return it, it's not for you, you will never like it. You are expecting "laptop" performance quality from a handheld.
He needs an iphone Just kidding. You're 100% right, he is looking for a device that does not exist.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
Brent212

Quote:
You are expecting "laptop" performance quality from a handheld.
I don't know about that... the main reason I got the phone was for email, and since it doesn't seem to do anything special with that, the lack of decent a web browsing capability seems like more of a negative than it would have been had everything else worked fine. Really, if MMS messaging (a basic phone, not laptop, function) worked fine and there was an option to open received emails in a web browser, the other things wouldn't bother me very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
It is a superior email device first
Hmmm... see that's the thing. I don't see what is superior about it's email function. My girlfriend's cheap LG razor knockoff seems to handle emailing capabilities just as well as the BB, albeit without the more useable keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
** Moved to Rants and Raves **
Okay... thought my initial opinion on the 8130 with Sprint might be helpful for people looking to buy the same thing (who are probably looking through the 8100 forum). I know I'd have appreciated reading it when I was researching what to get, but I guess if it reads like I'm ranting and raving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Buyer's Remorse...
Heh, I can still return it and get my money back, so there's no remorse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhutchison View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent212
1) MMS issues.
I think you're right that it's a Sprint issue and not a BlackBerry issue.
Regardless of their causes (carrier versus BB's "fault"), I'm just pointing out reasons why I might return the phone.

Quote:
Quote:
3) $30 more a month than other smart phones.
You're at the mercy of the carriers. The BlackBerry network connectivity is different than other smartphone data connections and all carriers have taken this into account when building their pricing.
Again, I don't really care why it costs more. The extra monthly fee is just another point on the wrong side of my pros & cons list.

Quote:
Quote:
4) Battery life sucks.
You won't see any better performance from a different type of smartphone. If you were to move to a GSM carrier then you may see a difference in battery performance.
Yeah, that's why I said that it seems like a problem with all smartphones. I'm not really expecting anything better from others.

Quote:
Quote:
6) Can't view emails in html
It's coming ... and there are some 3rd party options ...
For me personally, however, HTML emails are larger/slower to load and in 99% of the cases the HTML content is either irrelevant or an advertisement. I'm thrilled that the BlackBerrys do not support HTML emails. Even on my desktop PC I don't send HTML content with my emails. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when RIM does start supporting HTML content that I'll have the option to disable it on the device.
I totally agree (and thought I implied this) that text emails are preferable. I send in text format only also. I just want to be able to view emails in the format that they were sent in, because when I receive one like this:

it's kind of worthless when opened on my 8130.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
He needs an iphone Just kidding. You're 100% right, he is looking for a device that does not exist.
It's funny how defensive and "clique-y" you BB fans get when someone tries to objectively state a few things that they dislike about a device. Saying that it's clearly a rant, saying that the only thing to fit the bill is a laptop or a some sort of non-existant fantasy device, joking that I need an iphone, etc. I even tried to emphasize that I don't hate my BB, and I don't think I'm really bashing it.

Also, from what I've read, it looks like there are several Windows Mobile phones that do everything I've noted, other than having better battery life (although the Motorola Q comes with an extended battery which might help).
Old 03-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

We are not defensive, Brent212. You are not the first and won't be the last to try and point out defects, problems, 'imperfections' when the simple fact is the strong points of the blackberry do not align with your priorities. Just do some research and get the device which best does the things that float your particular boat.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
It's funny how defensive and "clique-y" you BB fans get when someone tries to objectively state a few things that they dislike about a device. Saying that it's clearly a rant, saying that the only thing to fit the bill is a laptop or a some sort of non-existant fantasy device, joking that I need an iphone, etc. I even tried to emphasize that I don't hate my BB, and I don't think I'm really bashing it.
And your point is? Remember, this is a BlackBerry Forum. It is not an objective site, that was your first mistake. No, perhaps the second.

You are looking for laptop features, and performance, from a handheld. You will get a little of each from other devices, not all. You may just find what you need. I don't know how you consider complete honesty on our part as defensive; if you want to hear lies and complete untruths, don't expect it here.

And, I promise you, your girlfriends LG does not do email like the BB. No where close. To even state that it does casts complete discredit upon all else you say. It is like saying your Hyundi mini van will haul logs as as well as a Peterbilt. Just ain't happenin'.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:

And, I promise you, your girlfriends LG does not do email like the BB. No where close. To even state that it does casts complete discredit upon all else you say. It is like saying your Hyundi mini van will haul logs as as well as a Peterbilt. Just ain't happenin'.
I was laughing like hell at that too. Enjoy your reseting!
Old 03-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #12
markhutchison

Wink

Quote:
... the Motorola Q comes with an extended battery ...
There's a good reason for that!

Although it is nice that Motorola included in the kit with the phone. If you can deal with carrying a spare battery with you then having it charged and ready to go can definitly come in handy.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #13
Brent212

Quote:
Well I have yet to figure out what makes the BB the Peterbilt of handheld emailing. Maybe it's because I'm not using this with my work email, and I am only using it with three hotmail accounts (which I was happy to find that it works with even though they are free, because they are all old enough). Not being able to access any of the folders on my account, and only receiving messages that are received into the inbox doesn't seem like something that other hyundi devices would have difficulty matching. It basically feels like my text messaging abilities have been expanded so that I can send text messages from my email accounts to other email accounts, and can view my email in the form of text messages.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
Brent212

Quote:
Although it is nice that Motorola included in the kit with the phone. If you can deal with carrying a spare battery with you then having it charged and ready to go can definitly come in handy.
Hmmm... I was under the impression it was a larger battery that lasts longer than the regular one, not just an extra one. That could be untrue, though, in which case I agree, I wouldn't want to carry around an extra battery either.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #15
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Brent, you know you are sounding really immature with all this, like you are trying to prove someone wrong. It is quite obvious that email is not your strongsuit, and you don't need the BB for that. RIM is within the first couple of years of developing consumer devices for people like you that need texting and the browser. There are actually other manufacturers that might do it better.
You won't convince us the BB is not a top device, and we won't convince you otherwise. There are users like you in here about 1x week.

Please, don't take it personal man... it's not about being right or wrong or being a fanboy or whatever, you just have given great reasons that you need another device if you are that unhappy with it.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #16
Brent212

Quote:
It is quite obvious that email is not your strongsuit
It's funny that you are calling me immature, when all I've tried to do is get an intelligent discussion going on regarding the things that I find wrong with the 8130 (although I can't say I've succeeded in getting any responses that sound like they haven't been somewhat offended by me commenting on these things... actually markhutchison's response was pretty good), and then in the next sentence say something like this. So I want more powerful emailing functions than those that I've found on my BB, and the problem is that email is not my strongsuit. Makes a lot of sense.

If I do decide to keep the BB, and a month or year from now someone comes on here saying that they wished the BB email provided a way to view emails in more than just plain text, I'd like to think that I'd just say, "yeah, that sucks, hopefully RIM will put out an update to add that feature". Something like that. I wouldn't accuse the person of wanting too much, or tell them that email just isn't their "strongsuit". Actually, I probably wouldn't respond at all unless I knew of some sort of workaround, or knew of an update coming up that may resolve it, or had a suggestion for another phone. Then maybe I'd say why I prefer the BB over that phone, in an attempt to help the person make a decision.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #17
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Oh, HTML email? We've answered that question many times here:
Get BBSmart or Empower Pro. Or wait a few weeks. Your own search would have found you that.

You still are looking for laptop performance in a handheld.

And, finally, yes, the way you use the word "SUCK" is immature, is shows your maturity level. It turns me off right away, you set the tone for this thread, not I. My post above simply gave you my best advice to answer your needs, as I saw them.

You never once in, for instance #6 above, asked for help in the matter, you stated your complaint. No, please, no request, just your statement. Another indication to me, that you were not asking for help. You asked for thoughts, you got thoughts.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #18
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Yeah.... kinda makes me think about this thread:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rant...-purchase.html

Brent, your original post kinda said to me "I hate this device and all it 'can't' do and I am going to return it unless you guys change my mind". There wasn't any "Hey, how do I do this?", or "Is there a 3rd party app that will help?" in there that I saw.

Seems to me your mind is already made up.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #19
markhutchison

Wink

Quote:
...I was under the impression it was a larger battery that lasts longer than the regular one...
You're absolutely correct. The Moto Q ships with one standard battery and one extended battery. In my experience, however, you're not going to get more than a day or two between charges even with the larger battery.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #20
Paul F

Battery life? Seriously I have never had a phone that didn't need recharging once a day or more often. Maybe I am too chatty or spend too much time tapping keys... I was hopeful that the new software released yesterday would include the html email ability but it looks like I will have to pony up the bucks for the application...

The one thing that wasn't mentioned to Brent is that the phone can function as a modem for your laptop, so, if you really want to have that sort of email this could still serve as your gateway. It just takes a bit more effort.

Considering my first computer was a TRS-80 I know that they will keep improving things.

Just my nickel's worth.

Paul
Closed Thread