Old 10-13-2004, 06:29 PM   #1
TheMatrix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default 7100 FAQ

Please Login to Remove!

Hello-

I thought I'd put together a FAQ of the questions I had when I first got my 7100, so new users might gain from my experiences and not have to ask again.

Everyone please feel free to add!

I'll format it better when I get a chance.

Q. The AIM client keeps saying I have an invalid name or password, but I'm sure I entered it correctly.

A. Capitalization does *not* matter, but spacing does. You can't have input any spaces in your screen name, even if you normally would on a computer. Just remove the spaces, and it should work fine.

---

Q. Does the 7100 support ringtones to be assigned to different contacts?
A. No. An older app exists to do this. See this thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1321

---

Q. Someone sent me an email with a image attachment, but I can't get the menu to display "Open Attachment".
A. That's because it's not really there. T-Mobile is stripping the attachments. Hopefully this will be addressed soon. If you want to get something to your 7100 and have web access, read this: http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1359

---

Q. Does the IM client use SMS messages? Are they removed from my plan?
A. Yes, and yes. They have a $9.95 add-on for unlimited incoming and outgoing SMS. International SMS are free incoming, but cost $0.15 each to send.

---

Q. If I set my 7100 to use gprs/GPRS Preferred to send SMS messages, will I still be billed on a per-message basis?
A. From looking at my T-Mo bill, the SMS messages stopped appearing when I changed the setting to “gprs”. I haven’t looked into it further yet.

---

Q. Can I disable the AIM alerts (meaning vibrate/sound)?
A. No. Expect a fix soon.

---

Q. I tried to connect to AIM, but got this error “Communications Error” and it won’t go away. What do I do?
A. You can hold down the ALT key (bottom left, it has two opposing arrows) and pressing the ESC key (below the thumbwheel on the right side) at the same time. This will bring up the running applications. Use the thumbwheel to select “Home Screen”. Be advised that going back to the IM client will result in this same error – you have to turn the 7100 off, remove the battery for a few seconds, put it back in, and turn it on again to clear it. Expect a fix soon.

---

Q. Is there a way to show timestamps on the IM client?
A. No.

---

Q. I think something is wrong with the push delivery system. How can I be sure?
A. Send yourself an email from your 7100 (whatever_you_chose_when_you_signed_up@tmo.blackbe rry.net) and if you receive it in a timely fashion this means T-Mo/BlackBerry are doing their job and everything is working. If you still think something is wrong, it’s most likely on your end in this case.

---

Q. The indicator light (LED) on the top flashes red when I have new email, and green when I don’t Why is it sometimes green when I have new mail? Shouldn’t it be red?
A. The light flashes a certain number of times to show that you have recently received new mail. After this point, it returns to green (its normal state) because the mail you have is no longer “new” – it’s just unread. Also, blue means Bluetooth is activated, and flashing yellow means the battery is low.

---

Q. How does the 7100 know it's holstered?
A. There's a magnet in the bottom of the holster.

---

Q. How do I turn off the constant flashing green coverage indicator light?
A. Go to Tools (or Options, depending on your Theme) then Settings then Screen/Keyboard. Set 'LED Coverage Indicator' to 'Off'.

TM
Old 10-13-2004, 06:57 PM   #2
Belfast
Knows Where the Search Button Is

There's a magnet in the holser. You can take a refrigerator magnet to the back of the phone (about middle of the battery cover) and achieve the same function.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:55 PM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: 7100 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix
After this point, it returns to green because the mail you have is no longer “new” – it’s just unread.
well, you could actually have no email and it'd still flash green. thats normal state.

might as well throw in blue flashing indicates bluetooth is on. and amber means your battery is low.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:53 AM   #4
DrTacoElf

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Tmobile

Q. If I set my 7100 to use gprs/GPRS Preferred to send SMS messages, will I still be billed on a per-message basis?
A. From looking at my T-Mo bill, the SMS messages stopped appearing when I changed the setting to “gprs”. I haven’t looked into it further yet.

Well i just changed my settings. This would be so sweet if it actually worked :D. Anyone else have info on it.

Also i'm having a hell of time getting images onto my 7100T i can not select and save a picture from the web -- any suggestions or directions?
Old 10-14-2004, 07:57 AM   #5
mk1151
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTacoElf
Q: i'm having a hell of time getting images onto my 7100T i can not select and save a picture from the web -- any suggestions or directions?
you can only do this from the default browser that comes with the device. There are many disclaimers from the big 3rd party manufacturers that say due to the Java OS on the BB, they are unable to access the filesystem or save/send files. From the default browser, I never have any issues...

You do have to select the item, the same way you select text in an e-mail... you will see the image get a dashed border around it. If you click, it should allow you to save....

Hope this helps..
Old 10-14-2004, 08:02 AM   #6
DrTacoElf

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTacoElf
Q: i'm having a hell of time getting images onto my 7100T i can not select and save a picture from the web -- any suggestions or directions?
you can only do this from the default browser that comes with the device. There are many disclaimers from the big 3rd party manufacturers that say due to the Java OS on the BB, they are unable to access the filesystem or save/send files. From the default browser, I never have any issues...
Do you mean the "globe" icon? and if not how do I get the default browser? (i'm using BWC).
Old 10-14-2004, 08:59 AM   #7
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
well, you could actually have no email and it'd still flash green. thats normal state.
here's a new one (sorry, i found it rather annoying):

Q. How do I turn off the constant flashing green coverage indicator light.
A. Go to Tools (or Options, depending on your Theme) then Settings then Screen/Keyboard. Set LED Coverage Indicator to 'Off'.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:56 AM   #8
KG

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
. If I set my 7100 to use gprs/GPRS Preferred to send SMS messages, will I still be billed on a per-message basis?
Any word on this speeds up delivery/reciving of the messages. Sometimes mine get delivered in 5 seconds, sometimes five mintues. I am wondering if this is because of the SMS delivery method.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:08 AM   #9
buckZor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes, and turning off the LED Coverage Indicator is a good idea to gain a little battery life. Above and beyond how annoying it is, we hates the green flashy.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:10 AM   #10
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Quote:
. If I set my 7100 to use gprs/GPRS Preferred to send SMS messages, will I still be billed on a per-message basis?
Any word on this speeds up delivery/reciving of the messages. Sometimes mine get delivered in 5 seconds, sometimes five mintues. I am wondering if this is because of the SMS delivery method.
i honestly would think that SMS (over GSM) would be faster than GPRS.. not to mention that the coverage would likely be present when GPRS would not be.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:00 PM   #11
TheMatrix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix
Hello-

I thought I'd put together a FAQ of the questions I had when I first got my 7100, so new users might gain from my experiences and not have to ask again.

Everyone please feel free to add!

I'll format it better when I get a chance.

Q. The AIM client keeps saying I have an invalid name or password, but I'm sure I entered it correctly.

A. Capitalization does *not* matter, but spacing does. You can't have input any spaces in your screen name, even if you normally would on a computer. Just remove the spaces, and it should work fine.

---

Q. Does the 7100 support ringtones to be assigned to different contacts?
A. No. An older app exists to do this. See this thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1321

---

Q. Someone sent me an email with a image attachment, but I can't get the menu to display "Open Attachment".
A. That's because it's not really there. T-Mobile is stripping the attachments. Hopefully this will be addressed soon. If you want to get something to your 7100 and have web access, read this: http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1359

---

Q. Does the IM client use SMS messages? Are they removed from my plan?
A. Yes, and yes. They have a $9.95 add-on for unlimited incoming and outgoing SMS. International SMS are free incoming, but cost $0.15 each to send.

---

A. From looking at my T-Mo bill, the SMS messages stopped appearing when I changed the setting to “gprs”. I haven’t looked into it further yet. Users have reported that with this setup outgoing SMS messages are free, while incoming ones are still charged to your account.

---

Q. Can I disable the AIM alerts (meaning vibrate/sound)?
A. No. Expect a fix soon.

---

Q. I tried to connect to AIM, but got this error “Communications Error” and it won’t go away. What do I do?
A. You can hold down the ALT key (bottom left, it has two opposing arrows) and pressing the ESC key (below the thumbwheel on the right side) at the same time. This will bring up the running applications. Use the thumbwheel to select “Home Screen”. Be advised that going back to the IM client will result in this same error – you have to turn the 7100 off, remove the battery for a few seconds, put it back in, and turn it on again to clear it. Expect a fix soon.

---

Q. Is there a way to show timestamps on the IM client?
A. No.

---

Q. I think something is wrong with the push delivery system. How can I be sure?
A. Send yourself an email from your 7100 (whatever_you_chose_when_you_signed_up@tmo.blackbe rry.net) and if you receive it in a timely fashion this means T-Mo/BlackBerry are doing their job and everything is working. If you still think something is wrong, it’s most likely on your end in this case.

---

Q. The indicator light (LED) on the top flashes red when I have new email, and green when I don’t Why is it sometimes green when I have new mail? Shouldn’t it be red?
A. The light flashes a certain number of times to show that you have recently received new mail. After this point, it returns to green (its normal state) because the mail you have is no longer “new” – it’s just unread. Also, blue means Bluetooth is activated, and flashing yellow means the battery is low.

---

Q. How does the 7100 know it's holstered?
A. There's a magnet in the bottom of the holster.

---

Q. How do I turn off the constant flashing green coverage indicator light?
A. Go to Tools (or Options, depending on your Theme) then Settings then Screen/Keyboard. Set 'LED Coverage Indicator' to 'Off'.

TM
Old 10-19-2004, 05:15 AM   #12
PXBB

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Hi there,

I realise the majority of this forum refers to the 7100t, but I'm sure there are a few 7100v users in the UK. Having used the 7230 for sometime now, I am now using a 7100v. There were a number of shortcut keys on the 7230, but for the life of me, I can't find the equivalent keys to go to the top of emails and to the bottom (it was 'T' and 'B' on the 7230). Any ideas at all (of course this might also apply to the 7100t)

Many thanks
Paul
Old 10-19-2004, 05:27 AM   #13
PXBB

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Ignore that post! I've now found it.

Cheers
Paul
Old 11-09-2004, 11:38 AM   #14
sting0r
Thumbs Must Hurt