Old 12-24-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
marionr26
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default OS 6.0 compared to OS 5.0

Please Login to Remove!

Is the 6.0 alot better than the 5.0??? I would like your opinions good and bad on the 6.0. I have the 9700 I checked on my phone for the update but it is not showing available yet.....
Old 12-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: OS 6.0 compared to OS 5.0

OS 6 is not yet available for the 9700, officially, from any service provider.

A lot of people like OS 6 for the tabbed browser, faster browser, the social feeds app, and may other reasons. It's really something you're going to need to judge for yourself.

Please change your user profile here in the forums to reflect your current device model. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
marionr26
Thumbs Must Hurt

ok thanks I did change it. Do you know when it should be available just didnt know about the bugs in it being new was it better to just keep 5.0
Old 12-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

No one knows when carriers will release OS upgrades.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
SmoothOperator
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
Carrier: AT&T

I think OS6 is great. The only thing I could not do is logon to my Bank of America account via either app or browser, but Bolt Browser works fine. Also, OS6 eats up memory, that I have only about 55 MB of RAM available. Every full charge requires a battery pull to free up memory. Aside from those two minor inconveniences, OS6 is a champ on the 9700.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
hyedipin
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->

Honestly OS5 is full of bugs and memory problems, regardless of how advance it is. I am sure there are builds that fix certain problems, but introduce other issues, but it is still far from complete compared to other phone OS's out there.

I have been planning to upgrade to 6.0 but my 9700 is my primary & only device, and I do my work on it, and I did not want to take a chance with unofficial OS, wherever it is. I don't see any links to it.

Last edited by hyedipin; 12-25-2010 at 12:07 AM..
Old 12-25-2010, 04:39 AM   #7
Ancestor
No longer Registered.

Model: 9780

OS 6 has much better WiFi connectivity also, in OS 5, if I connect to WiFi, it takes ages for the WiFi icon to turn white and give me any internet usage.

But in OS 6, the icon turns white within 3 seconds.

Same router, same settings.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Wolf_Dreams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by marionr26 View Post
Is the 6.0 alot better than the 5.0??? I would like your opinions good and bad on the 6.0. I have the 9700 I checked on my phone for the update but it is not showing available yet.....
True, it's not official, however, each build that I have tried, gets better. I haven't suffered any crashes either. I have about 40 friends trying BB 6 and, for the most part, they love it! Me too. There are about 10% who will downgrade to 5, because they don't have the patience to deal with the glitches.

I've tried 6.0.0.344, 359, 380, and now 418 on my 9700/6.0.0.418. The current version doesn't bleed flash memory like the three previous did. However, it seems to have gotten worse for Ram bleed with each successive day of use. I'm floored that Sprint released BB 6.0.0.415 for the 9650 and 9330! Unless that version number has been in the development stage for a lot longer ....

The Browser is simply amazing! Pinch to zoom is, in fact, very impressive in speed. The current build loses ram on a cycle and autoboosts, but each time it does, the max available Ram diminishes, until a battery pull is necessary. So, don't open too many apps at once and don't open too many tabs either. ;)

The cross-functionality of the entire OS is very impressive. The only recurring problem, in each build, is the Ghost Cursor in BBM and some apps. You need to press L Shift to show where the cursor is and scroll up a click and press shift again, to get to where you want to highlight text for copying.

The paste feature is in a continual state of confusion, as there are three different ways to paste, and sometimes they all work and others, only one way does - so kind of annoying...

All in all, it's not as speedy as 5.... Yet. ;). But many, like myself, refuse to go back to 5, despite the glitches.

Youtube finally works perfectly, and the upgrade has a dedicated app for it. Boot time is 2 minutes with a 1.5 min loadup lagtime to suffer thru. A memory booster app applied asap after bootup is a must. And the best one I've tried is Power Mem at App World ($4). It, however, doesn't work perfectly on this build, as the OS seems to have blocked third party memory boosting, full memory releasing, functionality. But it still helps.

The Calendar you will love for it's new, adjacent short-appointment, visual division and easy selectivity.

The Address book takes a bit of getting used to, but, I think you will find it much easier for contact info updates.

Tasks are virtually unchanged. And so is memopad. The universal search feature is incredible! Just type what you want to find - directly from the home screen and it delivers... Fast!

Social Feeds is quite the accomplishment too. It integrates twitter, facebook , BBM and RSS feeds too. You can update your status thru all three or any combination - all at once. However, you need to select Social Feeds, during the upgrade process or afterwards using Loader.exe - as it isn't installed by default (find the option in the list of 3rd Party Apps and language options, etc, during the upgrade process)

And, lastly, if you want to try it, it takes about 20 minutes for the upgrade process, after the file has been installed to your computer. If you want to go back, DM 6 has the option of loading ANY OS you have installed on your computer. Click on Device, Update, then "view other versions" and select any OS 5 version that's listed.

To upgrade, download the latest 418

9700/6.0.0.418
http://depositfiles.com/files/alu1wtjbm

To install any OS that didn't come from your vendor or any Beta Test copy - its really easy.

Now! Copy these instructions and email them to yourself. Then you can refer to them on your PC.

1. backup your BB using Desktop Manager

2. Close Desktop Manager (keep closed) - unplug BB.

3. Download File from the link

4. Double click to install file to PC

5. Go to Program Files, Common Files, Research in Motion, Apploader - Folder

6. Delete Vendor.xml file (And if you have Vista or Win7 open Compatibility Files and Delete Vendor.xml there too ... )

7. Run Loader.exe and plug BB in again. Follow the directions and it should take about 20min.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
given2fly
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
PIN: me down & ride me
Carrier: woof, woof

I find it less convenient than os 5. The UI is truly designed for a touch screen device so it takes a bit longer to do the simplest things we're all used to. On a non touch screen device it almost seems that the os was simply designed to be pretty, but not simplified or more efficient. If u want a true appreciation of OS6, grab the torch. However I really do enjoy the speed and durability of the OS. Boot time takes a fraction of os 5 and it doesn't crash at all like os 5 would. Battery life seems slightly better and I don't get slowdowns anymore like I used to get under os 5 so In many respects it's a much better os but, surfing the web and usability are a negative. If you try to open more then two tabs in the browser, it will tell you there is not enough ram and close. Not good. And for the UI, the main page tray is obnoxious cause often in rotates from "favorites" to "downloads" to "media" and is just really annoying. There are also a few other things on the main page that don't belong there so like jsanders said, if you're curious, try it out. That's the beauty of having a 9700, you have the option of having both OSs. Just remember you have to re-install all of ur 3rd party apps after the initial upgrade.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:29 AM   #10
ahdeshpande

Model: 8900
Carrier: Etisalat

i am a new bie into BB(just 1 months old) but i have already migrated from OS 5 to OS 6 in 1 months time.

There are lots of differences the way in which you can access the same applications but in better way. i shall share some amazing features that helped me in OS 6 soon. i have suffered crashes 2 times but yes, i was able to rebuild it again.

in all 8/10 for beta leak and looking forward to give 10/10 for final release (official)
Old 12-31-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
Wolf_Dreams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
I find it less convenient than os 5. The UI is truly designed for a touch screen device so it takes a bit longer to do the simplest things we're all used to. On a non touch screen device it almost seems that the os was simply designed to be pretty, but not simplified or more efficient. If u want a true appreciation of OS6, grab the torch. However I really do enjoy the speed and durability of the OS. Boot time takes a fraction of os 5 and it doesn't crash at all like os 5 would. Battery life seems slightly better and I don't get slowdowns anymore like I used to get under os 5 so In many respects it's a much better os but, surfing the web and usability are a negative. If you try to open more then two tabs in the browser, it will tell you there is not enough ram and close. Not good. And for the UI, the main page tray is obnoxious cause often in rotates from "favorites" to "downloads" to "media" and is just really annoying. There are also a few other things on the main page that don't belong there so like jsanders said, if you're curious, try it out. That's the beauty of having a 9700, you have the option of having both OSs. Just remember you have to re-install all of ur 3rd party apps after the initial upgrade.

I have to say that I agree with everythin you said, except for the last bit about re-installing 3rd paarty apps after upgrade...

Using Loader.exe that got upgraded to version 6 during the BB 6 install to PC is a hell of a lot smarter. It simply migrates all 3rd party apps over to 6, flawlessly. No hassles at all. Except for themes.

I've seen many people lose their BBM contacts because they followed a strange method of upgrading - which usually involves a totally unnescessary wipe.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
Harrison Leggio
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780

The main things I love about OS 6, is the following:

1)The browser. First of all, the browser is tabbed, and allows for quick switching between tabs. You can easily open and close the tabs aswell. Web browsing with this OS is a breeze.

2)Home screen. The home screen on this OS is flat out AMAZING! The search function works perfectly. You can search for anything, absolutely anything on the phone and it will pop right up for you, and quickly.
Closed Thread