Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 08:00 AM   #41
bhw
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Sorry for the misspellings. I'm new at this.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:06 AM   #42
luc-mobile
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Claro

OK, I have my mail back and have done some more testing. Everything seems to work fine.

Well, I am a pain in the gut. I am never satisfied and would change a lot of things if I could. But three things stand out as really in need of improvement:

1) Saving as native one of my test files was difficult. I sent very small files, and this bigger one was 207Kb. Not much, but enough for eFile to gag and choke several times and the file save operation failed twice. When it eventually saved successfully, there was nothing in sight to let me know, so I was left staring at it for at least a whole minute thinking that it wasn't finished yet. I therefore think that every successful save should display something. "OK, it's done, you may go ahead with your life."

2) eFile can retrieve and play audio files (midi, wav and mp3). I downloaded and played the demo files. The problem is that they played through the loudspeaker although I had the wired headset on. I was expecting to hear them through the headset. Being able to control volume with the hardware volume keys would be nice too.

3) I tested a plain txt file and that gives me one more option: open with ePad. But I am Brazilian and the file contained some accented vowels like à, é, õ. These are not displayed, they become "?" in ePad.

Feature request: "Send to". The "save as native" navigation we get from the mail attachment list is very convenient. We get a list of folders and navigate through them easily until we find the place where we want to save the file. But there is no such thing when moving files around in the file explorer. The only option is to:
- copy the file;
- clumsily work my way to the destination folder (come on, it's a thumb-operated device);
- jump into that folder;
- press Paste.

That is a bit of a hassle. I wish there were a "Send to" command: just like the navigation we get from the mail attachment list, but inside the file explorer context menu.

I also had trouble copying and pasting more than one file at a time, although eFile does let me select many and "copy" them. When I try to paste them elsewhere, get some Java error that I cannot remember. So I tried copying and pasting an entire folder. It worked with one, but failed with several others.

Last, although I like that "save as native" navigation system we get from the mail attachment list, it will save one file at a time. We should be able to select several, or at least all attachments of any given message (one, all or nothing) in a single operation.

Thank you very much for the gift, Sergey. It's going to be very useful.

Last edited by luc-mobile; 11-21-2007 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: Misspelling.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:09 AM   #43
Horhey

Model: 7130e
Default Trial

I downloaded a trial of epro and cannot see where I can save attachments. I have no option to do so.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:17 AM   #44
luc-mobile

When you open a message in the message list, like when you read a mail message, click the Menu key. There should be a "View attachment" and an "Edit attachment" option right at the top. The latter should apply to owners of eOffice only, but I can select either, it works the same.

Note that the Blackberry native option is "Open attachment" and it is toward the bottom of the menu.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #45
luc-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacd View Post
I don't see any save option in the email application. When selecting View attachment or Edit attachment all I get is 'option not available'.
Remember that when I tried eFile free, I ran into many problems. I had installed it with the .exe Desktop Manager file. This time, I installed it OTA.

Try OTA. Maybe it works better for some reason.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #46
bhw
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Efile Pro

Definitely install OTA. Desktop, at least with the new Verizon Perl 8130 will not work to install to BB.

I have a question. Is there a way to see emails in the inbox of your BB using Efile and then saving emails to the media card using EFilePro? I am able to save attachments only at this point. I'm trying to reduce the memory consumption on the internal memory, but I can't seem to fine the email messages in the Efile explorer.
Bruce
Old 11-21-2007, 09:17 AM   #47
luc-mobile

I don't quite understand your idea, but eFile Pro is left running all the time anyway.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #48
bhw
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default email to media card

What I mean is:

If i receive an email and choose to save it for future referral, I can save it to the device memory using the "save" function on the menu. However, this takes up memory on the device. If I could save an email (not an attachment but the email itself) to the media card, I wouldn't take up space in the device memory. Is there a way to move email from the device memory to the media card? Is there a way to do this with efile?

Currently, when I look for emails that i know are on my device memory, either because they are in the saved email folder on the device or they are in the message inbox, I cannot get them to display in Efile. Therefore, I can't move them. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 11-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #49
sergeyd

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

Luc, thanks for your suggestions and I'm glad everything worked out for you. Let me take the ideas back to the dev team to discuss. As far as the previous version, we have fixed several issues with SD card saving from email and it should work in both OTA and desktop install - the previous version was failing in some scenarios. The file save operation depends on the wireless and if there is a coverage gap etc - it might fail indeed. As far as navigation xxx8211; try the mouse option, makes folder navigation and copy/paste as easy as the real mouse (ok, almost xxx61514;).

Bruce - at this point we do not have such a feature. E-mails are usually small, so we have never considered this to be an important feature, how much memory can you really save? In order to view the file you need our viewer, or email it to yourself, right.

Nyubi xxx8211; this seems like you got the old version of eFile. Check Options->Application xxx8211; version of dynoplex_efile should be 4.1.200.

Dmacd xxx8211; try reinstalling eFile, it might have been a bad update. Just delete the one you have and load it again. The options in the menu should work if you try it on a real email with attachments.
BlackBerry Handhelds
Old 11-21-2007, 03:57 PM   #50
bhw
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks, Sergey. I'm glad that I'm using it properly. It is a pleasure to have this capability.
Now here's one more question (sorry, but this is all a bit new to me coming from a Treo 650). Does Efile permit programs to be moved from internal memory to a media card or are we restricted in that by Blackberry OS. Also, could the data portion of a program (for example a program with a viewer or reader and then data files of books or other media) be moved to media card using Efile and the program itself left in internal memory or is that restricted by the program itself?

Finally, just of interest to Efile Pro: could an attachment be moved to the media card preserving its conversion for BB OS or does this always have to be done in "native" format and then reconverted for viewing?

I am very pleased that Efile Pro is working so well. It's a wonderful work around for the Blackberry limitations. Thank you,
Bruce
Old 11-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #51
bhw
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just connected my 8130 to the computer via USB and opened EFile Desktop. All that I see on the device side of the screen is a folder called Dictionaries. Nothing else is visible. What should I do?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:43 PM   #52
sergeyd

That' right, unfortunately you cannot copy from eFile Desktop directly to the card. You can copy to the eFile store (next to Dictionaries) and then move files using eFile on the device. Don't forget to unplug the device from USB, or eFile will not see it.
BlackBerry Handhelds
Old 11-21-2007, 07:55 PM   #53
bhw
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhw View Post
Thanks, Sergey. I'm glad that I'm using it properly. It is a pleasure to have this capability.
Now here's one more question (sorry, but this is all a bit new to me coming from a Treo 650). Does Efile permit programs to be moved from internal memory to a media card or are we restricted in that by Blackberry OS. Also, could the data portion of a program (for example a program with a viewer or reader and then data files of books or other media) be moved to media card using Efile and the program itself left in internal memory or is that restricted by the program itself?

Finally, just of interest to Efile Pro: could an attachment be moved to the media card preserving its conversion for BB OS or does this always have to be done in "native" format and then reconverted for viewing?

I am very pleased that Efile Pro is working so well. It's a wonderful work around for the Blackberry limitations. Thank you,
Bruce

Sergey, I'm sorry, but I think you missed these questions because I sent two messages in a row. Would you kindly look at the above quote and advise?
Thanks very much,
Bruce

Last edited by bhw; 11-21-2007 at 08:45 PM..
Old 11-21-2007, 08:15 PM   #54
nyubi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: whateva

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyd View Post

Nyubi – this seems like you got the old version of eFile. Check Options->Application – version of dynoplex_efile should be 4.1.200.
yes i got from ota install v 4.1.106 , desktop version 4.1.200, i will tried wipe my berry..

is anyone with firewall enable on the device ?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #55
sergeyd

Bruce, sorry I did miss your questions - no, it is not possible to move applications to the card. As far as other programs they each have their own store and if they support the card - you will be able to move the data, but within the program, not efile. You can save an attachment onto SD card converted by viewing in our viewall or editing in eoffice, but not in native viewer.
BlackBerry Handhelds
Old 11-21-2007, 10:24 PM   #56
bhw
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks, Sergey.
I downloaded "view all" in addition to efile office as directed on the email sent to me after I downloaded and installed efile pro on th BB. I moved a pdf file from my desktop to the space next to the dictionaries. I then used efile on my BB to move the converted pdf file to the media card. I then emailed the file as an attachment to myself. When I tried to open the attachement, it said there was nothing to read that format. Do I need View All on the BB also? when I went to the url that I was sent to download it to my desktop, it said I wasn't authorized to go to that site from my BB Browser. Please help me to understand this.
Bruce
Old 11-22-2007, 12:59 AM   #57
sergeyd

ViewAll on BB will open the converted file, the one you placed using eFile Desktop to the BB. You do not need to email this file, you only need to install ViewAll on the bb from dynoplex.com (go there with a BB browser). If you copy a native file to the BB directly, you will be able to email it from the BB and view it using either ViewAll or native viewer. Hope this clears it up.
BlackBerry Handhelds
Old 11-22-2007, 03:39 AM   #58
luc-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyd View Post
As far as navigation xxx8211; try the mouse option, makes folder navigation and copy/paste as easy as the real mouse (ok, almost xxx61514;).
Yes, I tried it, but I didn't like it at all. It's a bit too slow and definitely unfriendly because the "targets" are too small. I think key shortcuts would have been a much better choice: Tree, List, Start, Up, Find, Copy, Paste etc. I think that is the Blackberry way, and I am sure that many users would agree with me. Many Blackberry developers underestimate the power of shortcuts.

By the way, there are no key shortcuts even for the Yes and No buttons. Grumble.

Since I am still yacking about changes, why not also mention something a little unrelated. I also experimented a little with eWord (7-day trial). I liked it. I think that editing documents in a phone is insane since both the screen and the keyboard are so small, but I was impressed at how much eWord could do. The only thing that really annoyed me is that the toolbar takes up precious screen space. Especially considering it takes three rows to carry buttons that would definitely fit in just two rows. It's a good thing that we can hide it. Since reaching those icons is not very convenient anyway, I figured I'd rather hide the toolbar and just use the menu to reach the tools. But whenever I closed a document and opened a new one or reopened the same, the toolbar would be visible again. I wonder if that is a bug of a feature. Apart from that, it's a great program. Just mentioning.

Thanks for listening again.

Last edited by luc-mobile; 11-22-2007 at 03:41 AM..
Old 11-22-2007, 11:19 PM   #59
sergeyd

Interesting idea about the shortcuts - let us see what can be done. I will also add the toolbar idea - remembering what it was when exiting. Thanks for your suggestions!
BlackBerry Handhelds
Old 11-22-2007, 11:33 PM   #60
nyubi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: whateva

to luc and bhw does your device has firewall enable ?
Closed Thread