laur419
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Using BlackBerry Messenger while overseas

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone knew about using BlackBerry Messenger whilst oversas. I'm going to England next week and I'll be putting the international data plan on as I always do. I was just wondering if BBM is covered in that.

Normally, I wouldn't even worry that much. For years, I've used my BlackBerry abroad and they never even charged me for web browsing. But in April, I went to Canada (and still activated the international plan) and it was the first time I got nailed for using web while "abroad."

However, I'm kind of new to the BBM craze, only started using it 2 months ago (I'm a late bloomer, what can I say?) and I'm pretty hooked on it.

So, that's my basic question: is BBM covered by that T-Mobile international e-mail plan? Please only post if you know from experience.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

From what Ive read here, T-mobile international email is just that, email.
data for email
NOT data for anything else. i.e. browsing, BBM etc.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-09-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

I am with midnight on this. However, there should be plan available that meet your data needs. Obviously, you will need to check with them.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 08-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

BBM is not covered by the international email plan. I love Tmobile but I'm surprised they don't have an international DATA plan. You might also try giving customer support a call (611 from your phone) or do a chat session with them online to find out if there's any new options.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
laur419
Thumbs Must Hurt

I actually just called T-Mobile and put the international e-mail plan on my phone for my trip. I asked the representative if BBM was covered under the e-mail plan and she said it was, because it doesn't go to web-- but rather, to BlackBerry.

Interesting. So, she said use BBM as much as I want whilst overseas!
Old 08-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #6
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Hmmm okay makes sense. Learned something. If you dont mind, let us know if that's the case after your trip. That way we'll have a positive answer and in case others find themselves in the same position down the line.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
COMNET

Carrier: t-mobile

not true use BBM and you get charged for data (same and using the web) $15.00 per MB
Old 08-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
tjmodz

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I travel all around the world on a regular basis and have used BBM with no charges from T-Mobile for about a year and a half now. As a previous post mentioned, BBM goes through Blackberry's server and not T-Mobile.

Data on the hand I hear is becoming a problem. From what I've been told, until recently T-Mobile wasn't charging for data internationally. And I can attest to that as with the unlimited int'l e-mail plan I have never had any data charges. I hear people are starting to see data charges when traveling internationally. Although I may not be a good example since I don't use the internet too often on the Blackberry.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
ruthylopez

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMO
Default Confirming that TMO international EMAIL still charges for "data"

I can confirm this as well. For several years I used my blackberry from Argentina, and as long as I had TMO's unlimited EMAIL, I wasn't getting charged for ANY data (particularly web browsing and google maps), then all of a sudden a few months ago, I got CRUSHED on data charges. I tested it again on my next trip and got hit again. Apparently from this point forward, you WILL get charged by TMO for any type of "data" even when you activate the unlimited internation email plan. I can't speak to BBMessenger because I haven't tried that yet, but I will try it in DEcember when I go back to Argentina, and will let you know what happens.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
phrider
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9812
PIN: 6.02214179E23
Carrier: TMO US

Are you all using BIS or BES/Exchange for your email?
Old 08-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
laur419
Thumbs Must Hurt

I think what you guys are saying is true-- T-Mobile only recently started charging for the other data-you know, like web browsing and what not. I thought when it happened to me in April, it was because I was on Rogers Wireless in Canada-- and they're better about reporting the data usage to T-Mobile (I feel like I read that in another post on another thread).
A friend of mine travels a lot and she swears she's never been charged for BBM with T-Mobile. Like I said, the customer service rep swore up and down it was included.
I have been using my phone the past few days in Morocco and my billing cycle ended on the 19th, so I'll be interested to see what charges appear. But I have stayed on top of my bill and haven't seen anything yet.
In the meantime, since I already have a T-Mobile UK sim card and now I'm in the UK for 2 weeks, I added their 2.50 GBP web n'walk e-mail and data booster to my top-up for 5 days... we'll see how that goes. Maybe that's a safer bet all around.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Thanks for getting us updated. Am curious to see how it turns out.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #13
shona67
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Default To BB Travelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by laur419 View Post
I think what you guys are saying is true-- T-Mobile only recently started charging for the other data-you know, like web browsing and what not. I thought when it happened to me in April, it was because I was on Rogers Wireless in Canada-- and they're better about reporting the data usage to T-Mobile (I feel like I read that in another post on another thread).
A friend of mine travels a lot and she swears she's never been charged for BBM with T-Mobile. Like I said, the customer service rep swore up and down it was included.
I have been using my phone the past few days in Morocco and my billing cycle ended on the 19th, so I'll be interested to see what charges appear. But I have stayed on top of my bill and haven't seen anything yet.
In the meantime, since I already have a T-Mobile UK sim card and now I'm in the UK for 2 weeks, I added their 2.50 GBP web n'walk e-mail and data booster to my top-up for 5 days... we'll see how that goes. Maybe that's a safer bet all around.
Before you travel to other country, I would suggest you to download a software called Mobile Data Alerter. It will help you to monitor data usages (international roaming). Normally, the average of global roaming fees are approximately $10 to $15 per MB.

Download encloses
e-office mobile - Mobile Data Alerter
Old 08-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #14
doppeljr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

Original poster is correct:

International Email support from TMobile will cover all data and usage related to email only.

BBM is also included and should not be charged as data, regardless of how data is charged.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:18 AM   #15
Ghillie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Trust me. From three years of living in Germany and traveling Europe, data will cost you. An SMS is a minimum of xxx8364;0.35 (about $0.60) per originated SMS. That is the minimum if you access a partner of your carrier. TMO and TMO-D have such an agreement and each message is as described. If you get shoved to another carrier, expect the same cost to almost a Euro per originated message.

I use the international email and data roaming that costs about $20 and never see an additional charge unless I get pushed to someone other than TMO-D.
Closed Thread