Old 05-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
chazer101

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Motorcycle Helmet Question

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,
I have a MC helmet that is communications ready. That is, when I buy the components, it will easily install into my helmet. The helmet is a Nolan N42, BTW.
OK, I was ready to purchase the Basic kit which allows me to listen to music on my BB 8300. I was also about to purchase the Bluetooth kit which allows me to talk on my BB. The basic kit hooks directly by some multi-media cable. While I was about to order this set up, I asked if I could listen to music via Bluetooth. He answered yes, but did I know what settings I had on my BB.

Sorry about all this, but here are the questions:
Does anybody know if my BB is compatible with stereo Bluetooth?
Does it have streaming music?
What settings do I need to activate or check if my BB is compatible?

Again, I'm trying to listen to music via Bluetooth and also make/recieve calls. The company has the hardware, I'm just not sure if my BB can handle it. If this doesn't work, I'll be hooked to a wire while I ride.
Thanks for the help,
Chaz
Old 05-27-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
niteqwill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Listening to music while riding a motorcycle?

I've been riding motorcycles for many, many years now and this always amazes me as the dumbest thing a motorcyclist can do. We already have enough things we have to "pay attention" to, blasting music will only lessen our attention span.

Not to mention, instead of ear buds, you should wear ear plugs. After years of riding without them, I started to lose my hearing due to windnoise and exhaust tones. Now, I wear ear plugs like I wear the rest of my gear. ATGATT
Old 05-28-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteqwill View Post

I've been riding motorcycles for many, many years now and this always amazes me as the dumbest thing a motorcyclist can do. We already have enough things we have to "pay attention" to, blasting music will only lessen our attention span.

Not to mention, instead of ear buds, you should wear ear plugs. After years of riding without them, I started to lose my hearing due to windnoise and exhaust tones. Now, I wear ear plugs like I wear the rest of my gear. ATGATT
holy heck! Is this my long lost twin? LOL. I was literally going to write the same exact thing. Strange.

As for stereo bluetooth, I believe only the Curve & Pearl series support stereo bluetooth. So that should work.

I've also been curious on how some manage to listen to music, as in getting the earbuds or headset in your helmet. Is it a full face? Cause I can barely get my helmet on with a balaclava on, without totally moving the balaclava. I really believe 98% of people out there ride with a helmet way too big.

Last edited by BallHawk3; 05-28-2008 at 12:16 AM..
Old 05-28-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
Ulukia
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: WYSIWYG
From what I've read, they do support AD2P. As for bluetooth music playback, use XPlayer (OTA).

Last edited by Ulukia; 05-28-2008 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Research did not validate first statement
Old 05-28-2008, 03:19 AM   #5
PURESKILLZZZ

Model: 8310
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHawk3 View Post
holy heck! Is this my long lost twin? LOL. I was literally going to write the same exact thing. Strange.

As for stereo bluetooth, I believe only the Curve & Pearl series support stereo bluetooth. So that should work.

I've also been curious on how some manage to listen to music, as in getting the earbuds or headset in your helmet. Is it a full face? Cause I can barely get my helmet on with a balaclava on, without totally moving the balaclava. I really believe 98% of people out there ride with a helmet way too big.
I ride with a big helmet when crusing so I can easily put it on top of my head for the ladies .. But I wear a fitted helmet for real riding and stunting.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by PURESKILLZZZ; 05-28-2008 at 03:48 AM..
Old 05-28-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

I ride with a Shark Helmet that is very loud. I ride with my ipod on long drawn out rides. all it really does is drown out the engine sound if anything. I dont have the ear buds in my ear but in the Padding of the helmet.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 05-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2159FC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteqwill View Post

What a hater! I've been riding for 33 years and have not had one issue as far as close call or going down while listening to music or talking via chatterbox.

I do agree due to certain peoples inability to multi task as yourself, this should not be done. For the people who can....more power to you. I wonder why goldwings have legalized radios that can connect to a full face helmet if it was unlawful or dangerous? Oh thats right its not, for the people who pay attention.

Now as for the OP, I had my BB ran through my chatterbox which allowed me to listen to music as well as talk when a call was made. Its totally doable.

Last edited by kurrupt_1; 05-28-2008 at 04:33 PM..
Old 05-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Actually it is illegal to wear any sort of headphones while driving. Just because a company designs something for a particular product that doesnt mean its legal. Look at Virgina its illegal to use a radar detector but they still make them and sell them. Read you own state laws and I guarantee you will find it illegal in most states.

I agree with nite its stupid to wear anything to distract you on a bike
Old 05-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Actually it is illegal to wear any sort of headphones while driving. Just because a company designs something for a particular product that doesnt mean its legal. Look at Virgina its illegal to use a radar detector but they still make them and sell them. Read you own state laws and I guarantee you will find it illegal in most states.

I agree with nite its stupid to wear anything to distract you on a bike
In CT it is not Illegal to wear headphones while on a Motor Cycle they consider Earphones the same as ear plugs( I installed mine in My Helmet Pads so they are not directly in my ear). Its a personal choice just like some people decide to wear helmet and others dont. I choose to wear racing boots, Helmet, Leather Jacket, Back Protector, and leather gloves. Some do the t shirt thing such is life.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 05-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #10
chazer101

Default Helmet Question revisited

I was afraid of this, but for those who tried to answer my question, I thank you. Yes, I'm a careful MC rider. I'm not the guy you see popping wheelies on the Interstate at 90mph. Yes, I wear very snug helmets; one is a full face Shoei and the other is my new Nolan...and they are always on.
I don't make it a habbit to ride in the "Big City". I ride in the hills and pastures of SB, SLO and Monterey Counties. My helmet has pockets for speakers, so there's no problem/trouble with ear buds. The wiring is built-in. If I can get my music to come by Bluetooth, I'll have ZERO wires. I don't "blast" my music. You would be bored with my music. As one responder noted, it's a personal thing.
If you've ever ridden across a desert or Texas for 3 days straight, maybe you would understand. I'm always "Amazed" by people who think they need to preach something to someone, yet can't even answer the question.

So, this is what I've learned: The idea of using my Curve for phone and music is possible via Bluetooth. I don't understand what AD2P is. I'm guessing your "chatterbox" is a MC specific piece of hardware. Can you guys elaborate, please?
Is there any other specifics I could use to have this system work? I looked for options on Bluetooth settings on my BB. I tried to listen by bluetooth but I got a "File Transfer" window and I finally gave up on the "waiting for Connection" window to complete that task.

Thanks again for some positive, helpful information.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #11
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazer101 View Post
I was afraid of this, but for those who tried to answer my question, I thank you. Yes, I'm a careful MC rider. I'm not the guy you see popping wheelies on the Interstate at 90mph. Yes, I wear very snug helmets; one is a full face Shoei and the other is my new Nolan...and they are always on.
I don't make it a habbit to ride in the "Big City". I ride in the hills and pastures of SB, SLO and Monterey Counties. My helmet has pockets for speakers, so there's no problem/trouble with ear buds. The wiring is built-in. If I can get my music to come by Bluetooth, I'll have ZERO wires. I don't "blast" my music. You would be bored with my music. As one responder noted, it's a personal thing.
If you've ever ridden across a desert or Texas for 3 days straight, maybe you would understand. I'm always "Amazed" by people who think they need to preach something to someone, yet can't even answer the question.

So, this is what I've learned: The idea of using my Curve for phone and music is possible via Bluetooth. I don't understand what AD2P is. I'm guessing your "chatterbox" is a MC specific piece of hardware. Can you guys elaborate, please?
Is there any other specifics I could use to have this system work? I looked for options on Bluetooth settings on my BB. I tried to listen by bluetooth but I got a "File Transfer" window and I finally gave up on the "waiting for Connection" window to complete that task.

Most of the people i ride with that listen to music just purchase the cheapest ipod shuffle or any other cheap MP3 player and clip it on or inside there jacket. I dont think your bb will be a good music listening experience. Its a great phone but doesn't really do well in the multi media dept IMO.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 05-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
Verapakill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: 318DAE46
Carrier: Verizon

I use my Chatter box on my helmet and play music through that from my phone doesnt make you go def and lets you hear other stuff going on around you too and who ever above said ATGATT that is completly stupid there is no reason for that i do wear all of my gear(helmet gloves mesh jacket jeans and boots) but i wont wear my race leathers to go to lunch in town and that is ATGATT so dont argue that fact and yes i know that mesh doesnt hold up and i have seen first hand may riders gone down with different levels of gear
Old 05-29-2008, 03:33 AM   #13
Ulukia

Quote:

AD2P is stereo bluetooth. Most phones only support mono bluetooth audio. Again, use XPlayer (OTA) to play audio over bluetooth. There are other music players that play over BT but this is the only one that is free and I can personally verify it works.

Last edited by Ulukia; 05-29-2008 at 03:34 AM..
Old 05-29-2008, 04:22 AM   #14
chazer101

Default MC Helmet

Thanks for your help, guys. The Nolan helmet (and electronics) allow people to listen to tunes and talk on their phone while driving. In some cases, it can be done via Bluetooth, and others, by hard wire. Unfortunately, Nolan communications doesn't support AD2P encoding (?). However, I should be able to use BT to talk on the phone using my BB. That's the good news. The tech told me that if I wanted to get some GPS device, that would work via BT AND some GPS units have MP3 players...so there's hope, though it will take 2 devices to get it running.

I don't know what a "Chatter Box" is, but the idea with this helmet is that there is a little "port" next to the left side of the helmet that pops out and the electronics "pop" in. It's made for the helmet and integrates somewhat seemlessly. When the phone rings, I merely touch the center button and start to talk. The buttons on either side are volume up/down. Very simple and clean...just what you want when you're riding, too.

I will look into XPlayer and see if that works, but from what I understand, it's the AD2P problem that doesn't interface with Nolan.
Yikes! Again, thank you so very much. I'll get there....
Cheers

PS: I just checked out Chatterbox...and I get it. I probably paid more, no, I know I paid more for my other set up, but whereas the Chatterbox is sticking out from the helmet, the Nolan unit becomes "part" of the helmet.

Last edited by chazer101; 05-29-2008 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: Additional Note
Old 05-29-2008, 05:17 AM   #15
Gkins3
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 24B4032B
Cool

Quote:

WOW! Some people are unbelievable! Chazer - Don't feel like you have to explain yourself to them. Those are people that can't walk and talk at the same time and tailgate and cutoff the bikers on the roadway!

I rode for years and on several cross-country trips on the bike I talked on the phone, communicated with other people via CB, smoked a cigar, changed the disk in the CD, read my map all while the cruise was set at 75. I never once had any issues and on several instances avoided reckless drivers (probably some of the people above).

I hope the bluetooth headset you are looking for works flawlessly. Ride safe and keep the shiney side up!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:21 AM   #16
Ulukia

Actually, it's probably a good thing the Nolan does not support AD2P. Stereo sound would be more a distraction while driving than mono.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #17
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkins3 View Post
WOW! Some people are unbelievable! Chazer - Don't feel like you have to explain yourself to them. Those are people that can't walk and talk at the same time and tailgate and cutoff the bikers on the roadway!

I rode for years and on several cross-country trips on the bike I talked on the phone, communicated with other people via CB, smoked a cigar, changed the disk in the CD, read my map all while the cruise was set at 75. I never once had any issues and on several instances avoided reckless drivers (probably some of the people above).

I hope the bluetooth headset you are looking for works flawlessly. Ride safe and keep the shiney side up!
Say what you want I have been riding since I was twelve and I am now 40 so its not like I have no clue what I am talking about. If you want to do all that stupid crap on a bike thats your perogative.

I want all my senses keen when I am on my bike so the idiots who have no clue dont run me over. Todays drivers are more reckless than previous generations. Not to mention idiots that ride on the back tire and do tricks on public streets give us law abiding riders bad names.

Just yesterday in traffic one idiot on a crotch rocket went by me on his back tire at well over the speed limit in the emergency lane.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #18
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Say what you want I have been riding since I was twelve and I am now 40 so its not like I have no clue what I am talking about. If you want to do all that stupid crap on a bike thats your perogative.

I want all my senses keen when I am on my bike so the idiots who have no clue dont run me over. Todays drivers are more reckless than previous generations. Not to mention idiots that ride on the back tire and do tricks on public streets give us law abiding riders bad names.

Just yesterday in traffic one idiot on a crotch rocket went by me on his back tire at well over the speed limit in the emergency lane.
Dude you are a grumpy person. These things are personal choice's why look down on him because he decides to do it. Not everyone lives up to your standards let it go! Do you ride with a full faced helmet and full leathers with a back protector? if not your an idiot because thats the only thing thats safe to ride in and will protect you the most. people decide on what level of risk they are willing to take and if you have never rode with his setup then you have no clue on how good or bad it is to ride with.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 05-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #19
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcrn View Post
Dude you are a grumpy person. These things are personal choice's why look down on him because he decides to do it. Not everyone lives up to your standards let it go! Do you ride with a full faced helmet and full leathers with a back protector? if not your an idiot because thats the only thing thats safe to ride in and will protect you the most. people decide on what level of risk they are willing to take and if you have never rode with his setup then you have no clue on how good or bad it is to ride with.
Me grumpy? yes I may be its is early and I havent had coffee yet. So Ok I can live with that. But I was responding to him and his rant. Yes actually I do ride in full protective gear. How can come he on hear telling people what he wants and I cant? Please enlighten me on why everyone can give an opinion but me?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #20
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

He didnxxx8217;t ask weather it was a good idea he asked if it could be done. He already has the equipment so you were preaching to the choir. You didnxxx8217;t answer the question at all your post wasnxxx8217;t useful. Again the music and helmet thing is a personal choice. Thatxxx8217;s all im saying and judging him or any other rider based on what they wear or how they ride because it isnxxx8217;t your style or you donxxx8217;t agree with it is wrong.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Closed Thread