Very useful application with nice UI.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #242
emacf1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

BBFileScout release of v1.0

Over the past several months, I have considered significant user feedback as I added all of the essential features in order to make BBFileScout the premier BlackBerry® file system manager. It is with these latest enhancements to the user interface for the Options that I proudly release BBFileScout version 1.0 to the BlackBerry® community. Hopefully, the reviewers and the community at large will agree.]

What's new?
  • Options reorganized - on BlackBerry® devices it's quite common to separate the application options into various screens - this makes the options way more organized and easier to understand.
    See also the updated BBFileScout options documentation.
  • Path entry fields (Startup Path, Thumbnail Storage & Playlist Directory) show now an additional button that allows you to browse in the file system to make an appropriate selection (in the past this was only possible via the menu)

Please note, that I have moved all the content to a new domain: http://www.emacberry.com [bb.emacf1.com does not exist any longer]

Installation & Update
You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the BBFileScout Homepage

When you update your previous BBFileScout you might get an Information when updating to the new Version [a module with the same name (BBFileScout) already exist] - simply continue by pressing "OK".

Actually I just can recommend to all, that when you open a JAD via the browser (that you has installed previously) then you should always choose "refresh/reload" from the #Menu before you actually hit the install button.

Please note, that updating BBFileScout on OS 5.x might require an deinstallation of BBFileScout before you are able to install the new version of BBFileScout.

Once again: Deleting or renaming os relevant files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk! - Don't blame me, if you have bricked your BB.

Matthias
Old 06-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #243
jrsbcf
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Thank you!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 04:14 AM   #244
emacf1

BBFileScout minor update to v1.0.1

What's fixed?
  • Some system/store directories did not showed any files, when sorting was enabled in the options [this is fixed now]
  • Better handling when images could not be read (only a info will be shown for 2sec)
  • Options: 'Use the BB default eMail composer' will be saved & restored correctly

Installation & Update

Actually I just can recommend to all, that when you open a JAD via the browser (that you has installed previously) then you should always choose "refresh/reload" from the #Menu before you actually hit the install button.

Please note, that updating BBFileScout on OS 5.x might require an deinstallation of BBFileScout before you are able to install the new version of BBFileScout.

Once again: Deleting or renaming os relevant files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk! - Don't blame me, if you have bricked your BB. (BBFileScout is out for a while now I did not heard any negative reports so far)

Matthias
Old 07-06-2009, 01:43 AM   #245
emacf1

BBFileScout release of v1.1

What's new?
  • New Function: Resize Images -- Over the past couple of years, the file size of photos has increased rapidly due to the "Megapixel War". This can make sending image files from your BlackBerry® device quite expensive (for metered data plans) and time consuming.

BBFileScout v1.1 now allows you to resize images to a user selected resolution -- this will save you time, money, & also saves device or microSD memory! In a completely new 'Image Option' section, this new functionality can be user configured as follows:
    1. Select the target resolution [1200px, 1024px, 800px, 640px, device resolution]
    2. Select if the source file should be deleted after the resize image is created
    3. Select PNG or JPG output
      and
    4. If JPG is selected, also choose the JPEG-quality
  • New Option: Show favorites at startup [General Options]
  • URL's in BBFileScout about dialog will open the browser and bring you instantly to the website

What's fixed?
  • Option font size setting will also effect file & directory details dialog
  • File & directory details dialog can be closed by pressing ESC
  • Fix for 'Uncaught exception - ApplicationRegistry.waitFor'

Installation & Update

Once again: Deleting or renaming os relevant files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk! - Don't blame me, if you have bricked your BB. (BBFileScout is out for a while now I did not heard any negative reports so far)

Matthias
Old 07-07-2009, 04:03 AM   #246
[IFC]Area51

Model: 9650
PIN: GU!!!
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacf1 View Post
BBFileScout minor update to v1.0.1

What's fixed?
  • Some system/store directories did not showed any files, when sorting was enabled in the options [this is fixed now]
  • Better handling when images could not be read (only a info will be shown for 2sec)
  • Options: 'Use the BB default eMail composer' will be saved & restored correctly

Installation & Update

Matthias
Great app but why can't we just enter the resolution we want.

i.e. 480x320, 479x319, etc.

On current version 1.0.1 you can only set first resolution then gives you a field full after a 3 digit entry, "480". Would be nice if you can set it to be "480x320" in the user defined custom field.

Basically, a way to toggle " Aspect Ratio " on and off.
8100|8300|8310|8320|8900|9000|9700|9650
Old 07-08-2009, 02:33 AM   #247
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by [IFC]Area51 View Post
Great app but why can't we just enter the resolution we want. -> i.e. 480x320, 479x319, etc.
Quote:
On current version 1.0.1 you can only set first resolution then gives you a field full after a 3 digit entry, "480".
it's 1.1.0.1 - but yes you are 100% correct - for the user defined resolution you "just" can specify the max width (for landscape images) [or max height for portrait images]

Quote:
Would be nice if you can set it to be "480x320" in the user defined custom field. Basically, a way to toggle " Aspect Ratio " on and off.
Actually this might be a personal thing - or "just me" but I never have understood why I want to change the aspect ratio of any of my images/photos - at least not on my BlackBerry - BBFileScout also does not allow you to crop or to add borders... it was not my intention to create a GraphicApp for the BlackBerry (I also received other suggestions that are going in this direction)... When I want to do some decent image manipulations I do that on my PC/Mac...

The idea of the resize function in BBFileScout is to provide an easy and quick way to (mass) resize images without having to think about x and y - just specify the max width (or height) and you are done - in 1.1 there was just a preset of defined values (1200px, 1024px, 800px, 640px and device resolution) - that was changes in 1.1.0.1 to allow also a user defined value.

When you want to do any kind of extended image processing/manipulation, then IMHO the BB is not the right device for this (yet).

Matthias
Old 07-08-2009, 06:20 AM   #248
[IFC]Area51

Quote:
it's 1.1.0.1 - but yes you are 100% correct - for the user defined resolution you "just" can specify the max width (for landscape images) [or max height for portrait images]

Actually this might be a personal thing - or "just me" but I never have understood why I want to change the aspect ratio of any of my images/photos - at least not on my BlackBerry - BBFileScout also does not allow you to crop or to add borders... it was not my intention to create a GraphicApp for the BlackBerry (I also received other suggestions that are going in this direction)... When I want to do some decent image manipulations I do that on my PC/Mac...

The idea of the resize function in BBFileScout is to provide an easy and quick way to (mass) resize images without having to think about x and y - just specify the max width (or height) and you are done - in 1.1 there was just a preset of defined values (1200px, 1024px, 800px, 640px and device resolution) - that was changes in 1.1.0.1 to allow also a user defined value.

When you want to do any kind of extended image processing/manipulation, then IMHO the BB is not the right device for this (yet).

Matthias
Yes but sometimes i want to make a picture from the bb camera into a wallpaper and the " device resolution" setting, for some reason crops the sides of the pictures. can u at least fix that so it can fill the screen size?

P.S. I get what you are saying but all i wanted was a correct " device resolution " so it can fill my whole screen up instead of having the empty spaces on both sides. ty
Old 07-08-2009, 07:53 AM   #249
emacf1

Quote:
P.S. I get what you are saying but all i wanted was a correct " device resolution " so it can fill my whole screen up instead of having the empty spaces on both sides. ty
in which format your BBPhoto is taken? - Landscape or Portrait? - I see the problem, if the device came is taking 4:3 photos while the device have a different aspect ratio... mhhh - let's see what a new Version of BBFileScout can do about this
Old 07-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #250
[IFC]Area51

Quote:
in which format your BBPhoto is taken? - Landscape or Portrait? - I see the problem, if the device came is taking 4:3 photos while the device have a different aspect ratio... mhhh - let's see what a new Version of BBFileScout can do about this
HAHA, thank you so much for seeing the problem there sir, lol.

You are the boss!!! can't wait till the next version. Thank you for your hard work and awesome program.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #251
emacf1

BBFileScout release of v1.1.2

What's new?
  • New function: Rotate Images (90°, 180°, -90°) (might require image resizing first)
  • New choice in the 'Image operation Options': Image Size: 'ask each time' - allows you to select the resulting image size each time when you perform an image resize operation

What's fixed?
  • Image Size 'Device Resolution' will adjust the aspect ratio of the image in order to fit the display aspect ratio [this is important when the BlackBerry® device resolution aspect ratio differs from the camera aspect ratio (typically 4:3 these days)].
  • Fallback to JPG when PNG is selected as image format but could not be created
  • Fix for 'Uncaught exceptions' during image resizing

Installation & Update

Matthias
Old 07-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #252
[IFC]Area51

Quote:
BBFileScout release of v1.1.2

What's new?
  • New function: Rotate Images (90°, 180°, -90°) (might require image resizing first)
  • New choice in the 'Image operation Options': Image Size: 'ask each time' - allows you to select the resulting image size each time when you perform an image resize operation

What's fixed?
  • Image Size 'Device Resolution' will adjust the aspect ratio of the image in order to fit the display aspect ratio [this is important when the BlackBerry® device resolution aspect ratio differs from the camera aspect ratio (typically 4:3 these days)].
  • Fallback to JPG when PNG is selected as image format but could not be created
  • Fix for 'Uncaught exceptions' during image resizing

Installation & Update

Matthias
WOW! Thank you for the update, nice additions to the " modify image " option. Just what i needed.
Let me push my luck here and see if you can add " Mirror Image " to the Rotate, 90 degree options menu?

P.S. So, can we safely say that BBFileScout is also an image manipulation program? lol. At least partially. KUDOS!!!

Last edited by [IFC]Area51; 07-11-2009 at 09:49 PM..
Old 07-12-2009, 02:09 AM   #253
emacf1

Quote:
Let me push my luck here and see if you can add " Mirror Image " to the Rotate, 90 degree options menu?
... it's possible (I think so) - but is that really needed? There might can be a separate app that will do a full set of image manipulation (incl. crop)

Quote:
P.S. So, can we safely say that BBFileScout is also an image manipulation program? lol. At least partially. KUDOS!!!
It's not a Photoshop or anything like that... I currently call BBFileScout The "all in one" file, zip, text and image manager for your BlackBerry®
Old 07-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #254
jrsbcf

Matthias,

Great progarm. and always getting better.

A question. Why does the option to search not always appear in the menu? When I open the program, most of the time the first thing I do is search for a file, but the option is sometimes there, sometimes not. What triggers it? It would be nice if it was on (mostly) every menu.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #255
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsbcf View Post
Matthias,

Great progarm. and always getting better.

A question. Why does the option to search not always appear in the menu? When I open the program, most of the time the first thing I do is search for a file, but the option is sometimes there, sometimes not. What triggers it? It would be nice if it was on (mostly) every menu.

Thanks
This is a function of the Directory Structure loading Thread setting BBFileScout Options under General Settings -- possible values are Slow, Normal, or Fast. When this option is set to Slow or Normal, a user can continue to use the app while the Directory Structure is loaded in the background with less performance degradation of the foreground activities -- the Search function is enabled once the Directory Structure loading completes. [Matthias, please correct me if I misspoke.]

Last edited by visortgw; 07-12-2009 at 08:12 PM..
Old 07-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #256
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw View Post
...the Search function is enabled once the Directory Structure loading completes. [Matthias, please correct me if I misspoke.]
that is 100% correct
Old 07-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #257
[IFC]Area51

Quote:
... it's possible (I think so) - but is that really needed? There might can be a separate app that will do a full set of image manipulation (incl. crop)

It's not a Photoshop or anything like that... I currently call BBFileScout The "all in one" file, zip, text and image manager for your BlackBerry®
It's such a great program that i just want it to do it all, lol.

If it's possible would be great if not then it's ok, didn't really want to push my luck but it was worth the try. Hey, it got me a reply back at least, lol.

Great Program.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #258
jrsbcf

Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw View Post
This is a function of the Directory Structure loading Thread setting BBFileScout Options under General Settings -- possible values are Slow, Normal, or Fast. When this option is set to Slow or Normal, a user can continue to use the app while the Directory Structure is loaded in the background with less performance degradation of the foreground activities -- the Search function is enabled once the Directory Structure loading completes. [Matthias, please correct me if I misspoke.]
Thanks!
Old 08-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #259
emacf1

FileScout release of 1.2.0.0

What's new?
  • 'BBFileScout' is now called just 'FileScout'
    The double 'BB' was removed from the application name cause of legal concerns - actually this change requires, that you have to delete your current BBFileScout installation [Options - Advanced Options - Applications] (reboot might be required) before you can install FileScout v1.2.0.0. I am sorry for this inconvenience.
  • New Option: 'Check for Updates' - allows you directly from FileScout to check, if a new Version of the application is available.
  • Renamed 'Stack' to 'vClipboard' in the hope that this is easier to understand for most of the users how copy and move operations can be performed.
  • New "Search for text" function in the integrated text editor (incl. "Find next" function and case sensitive/case insensitive switch)
  • New keyboard shortcut: [SHIFT]+[M] (M)odify Image
  • New Thumbnail Option: 'Do not try to reload broken images' - when you have specified a 'Thumbnail-Store Directory' FileScout can also store the information about broken images - so the next time folders with broken images are opened there will be no warning message for the same files again.
  • If 'Confirm Delete of files & directories' is enabled, and you want to delete multiple files you have a new checkbox in the confirm dialogue: 'Do not ask again for this selection?' - once this is checked, all files of the selection will be deleted without additional confirmation.
What's fixed?
  • Loading of folders containing more then 1000 files now much faster (again) - progress bar updating fixed
Installation & Update
You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the FileScout Homepage

Please note, you have to delete your current BBFileScout installation [Options - Advanced Options - Applications] (reboot might be required) before you can install FileScout v1.2.0.0.

Matthias

Last edited by emacf1; 08-25-2009 at 01:55 PM..
Old 08-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #260
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

BB is also very common start for programs for blackberry, but FileScout seems to be a plain name.

In least FileScout are decent name anyway.

JAD filename is still BBFileScout?

Last edited by Iare Tosevite; 08-25-2009 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Add question
Closed Thread